Which 9mm ammo has passed the FBI standards?

This is a discussion on Which 9mm ammo has passed the FBI standards? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering as I was shopping around for some more carry ammunition, which ammunition has actually passed the stringent testing set up by the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Which 9mm ammo has passed the FBI standards?

Which 9mm ammo has passed the FBI standards?

I was wondering as I was shopping around for some more carry ammunition, which ammunition has actually passed the stringent testing set up by the FBI? In addition to that, which ammunition excels being fired from a sub-compact barrel? I thought this was a good read and has helped me in deciding to carry the Speer Gold Dot 147 gr 9mm in my Sig Sauer P239.

Speer Gold Dot Ammunition, Ordnance Gelatin Calibration, Anatomically Correct Targets

But hey, if you happen to know where to find any recent data that will help some of us decide what to carry in our SD guns, please post.

2. Remove Ads

Here you go: Thoughts on Service Pistols, along with Duty and Self-Defense Ammo Recommendations - M4Carbine.net Forums

The following loads all demonstrate outstanding terminal performance and can be considered acceptable for duty/self-defense use:

9 mm:

Barnes XPB 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)
    Federal HST 124 gr +P JHP (P9HST3)
    Remington Golden Saber 124 gr +P JHP bonded (GSB9MMD)
    Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP
    Winchester Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)
    Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
    Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)
    Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
    Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)
    Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)
    Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)
    Winchester 147 gr bonded JHP (RA9B/Q4364)
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

I have lots of Cor-Bon XPB 115 GR JHP, Winchester Ranger T+9+ JHP (Talons) and Remington Golden Saber 124 GR +P bonded and all shoot very well in my G-19. I am taking a "Refresher Gun Fighting Course" next month where I will be shooting all of these rounds at the course. Forget the FMJ Range Rounds. I am going "Full House" with more than 250 rounds of these bad boys!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    Experimenting now with Federal Premium 9mm 124gr Hydra-Shok:

"It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Great place for some defensive cartridge research!

tnoutdoors9 - YouTube
    Chuck808 likes this.

According to Winchester's website, the Winchester PDX1 is the FBI's new primary service round.
    http://www.winchester.com/products/h...s/S9MMPDB.aspx

I carry the 124gr +P in my subcompact.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Quote Originally Posted by thephanatik View Post
    According to Winchester's website, the Winchester PDX1 is the FBI's new primary service round.
    http://www.winchester.com/products/h...s/S9MMPDB.aspx

I carry the 124gr +P in my subcompact.
    afaik you are half right, the FBI does use the PDX1 but they use it in their .40 caliber service weapons, they don't use 9mm

Hornady Critical Duty: Hornady Manufacturing Company :: New Products :: Ammunition :: Critical DUTY™

Its large mechanical jacket-to-core InterLock® band works to keep the bullet and core from separating for maximum weight retention and proven terminal performance through all FBI test barriers.
    Fear the man with one gun. Especially if that gun is a Glock 19.

Check out this guys YouTube channel tnoutdoors9.

He does ballistics testing on common defensive ammo according to the FBI and IWBA (International Wound Ballistics Assoc.) standards as well as some other methods. If you go down the right hand column, he has the videos grouped into playlists according to caliber.

He has about 35 videos for the 9mm round alone. Each video test is about 5 minutes long. Ballistics testing is his hobby and he goes through considerable expense setting up and testing adhering to strict standards and consistency.

Very visual and impressive data. I think you'll like his videos!

Here is an example of one of his tests using the Federal HST 147 gr. 9mm Hollow Point in ballistic gelatin with 4 layers of denim material in front.

Chris706 likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

How many firearms does the FBI loose every year? I mean MIA....lost. You want to trust them with ammo selection?
    TVille likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    How many firearms does the FBI loose every year? I mean MIA....lost. You want to trust them with ammo selection?
    Didn't know there was a "hide-n-seek" component to the ballistics testing....Did ya? LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by NCMedic8617 View Post
    Didn't know there was a "hide-n-seek" component to the ballistics testing....Did ya? LOL!!
    Just a question of trust period. Data may be a different story. Thing is......your local media feeds you data every day. How do you take it knowing the source may not be trustworthy? They only tell you what they want you to know. The free press is owned by the way. Where have you been? It's all hide and seek until we ask specifically.

"LOL" Me too, but not laughing too hard. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Just a question of trust period. Data may be a different story. Thing is......your local media feeds you data every day. How do you take it knowing the source may not be trustworthy? They only tell you what they want you to know. The free press is owned by the way. Where have you been? It's all hide and seek until we ask specifically.

"LOL" Me too, but not laughing too hard. LOL!
    Agreed... I've always been in the "trust but independently verify".
    If the ammunition is designed for the test, then of course it is going to pass the test....if you know that you are going to race on a Indy track.... You'd build a indy car,
    not a

... Stock car. Manufacturers data is probably the worst out there... If there isn't any independent scientific data to collaborate with your statements then it's all just marketing hype... Kinda like drug manufacturers pushing the latest and greatest thing...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links