Need hard-hitting .45 & .40 for hunting backup load

This is a discussion on Need hard-hitting .45 & .40 for hunting backup load within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a .45 & my son carries a .40. We will be taking our sidearms hunting where we are likely to be charged by ...

Thread: Need hard-hitting .45 & .40 for hunting backup load

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar

I carry a .45 & my son carries a .40. We will be taking our sidearms hunting where we are likely to be charged by a good-sized Florida wild hog (not to mention the likelihood of running into a few social miscreants in the woods). Sometimes a rifle is not the best option. We've got Wolf and Winchester white box (both FMJ and JHP) and I am not convinced these will do the job on a big hog's shoulder. I do have confidence either will do the job on two-legged critters, if the need arises. Opinions please!

I hope you are talking about a LC and not ACP. I carry when in the AZ desert my own loads which are a 225 gn SWC loaded hot for the wild pig that are very dangerous there, but then my HK is a 12+1but a .44 mag would be a better choice.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

45 acp nor 40 has the power to take down a hog

Assistant Administrator
    I agree, that neither .45acp or .40 has enough (guaranteed) power to take down that critter. A particularly well placed shot might.

I would start at .357 mag but prefer 44 mag and up - meaning .45LC top loads, or .454 will certainly get the job done.

All that said - if all you had was your mentioned cals - and time enough to get off several shots then you could possibly manage and be better off than no sidearm at all.

IMO much better to think big A nice Blackhawk on the hip would be good insurance!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

My uncle took a very large hog with is 1911. He shot it in the but and when it charged him he unloaded the mag. Only hit him once and it broke its shoulder and crossed over through some vital organs.

Never said he was a rocket scientist. I would think ball ammo would be the best idea for these rounds. Either that or the high velocity stuff like the Corbon DPX stuff.

Stephen Camp uses his Hi-Power to hunt Javelina. I'm not sure how these animals compare to the hogs you will be near but his site may give you some info.
    http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Javelina.htm

Corbon or Buffalo Bore

Think I would definately go with the Hard Cast for penetration.

A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I"ve killed lots of hogs using my Beretta Storm in .45ACP. This, using exclusively the Hornady 230gr. XTP which is their +P loading (Hornady #9096). It's advertised at 950 out of a 5" bbl and I have chrono'ed it at 968 out of my 16" Storm.

Now the hogs that we have up here in NW Fla. are somewhat smaller than the ones that you could encounter down where you're at. Especially at a "guided" operation. The largest that I have killed with the above ammo is a 215" sow. The bullett passed completely through and she went 30yds. and piled up. Most have been in the 100 to 135 pound range. These were shot at very close ranges also.

Double Tap makes a load for the ACP that is somewhat hotter than the Hornady.IIRC +100fps or so.

I would reccommend that if you will be going after the bigger boars,step up to a .44 Mag or a .45LC with a hard cast load. When hunting in central Fla. I use my .454 Casull as a primary. This,either in a 16" Puma or a 6" Taurus.

If you will carry the ACP on your hip as a backup,you might get into the position that you might have to defend yourself with it. Pick the best bullet/loading possible.

Several times I have ended up on hands and knees,looking up under the fan palmetto's for a wounded boar. Twice I have had to shoot laying on my side with the weapon canted 90 degrees. When this vulnerable you need the most firepower that you can get. ---------

erh

Exclamation "Big Dern Pigs..!"

Given those as the only 2 options presented; "I'd use some very dependable Heavy Ball Ammo, and probably wear some Pole climber's spikes as well..!" (That of course; "If there's any big enough trees left where you'll be in Florida..!") I personnaly would prefer a 12 GA. shotgun for that sorta "Social Gathering..!"

(PS - "If I were Expecting to be charged by Wild Boar where I was planning on going..;
    I'd go Scuba Diving in the 'Key's instead..!!!")
    Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    7" SRH chambered in 454 or 44 mag....

Buffaloe Bore HC loads for hogs and social miscreants.....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Thank you all! I agree, neither of these pistols are a "best practice." Economics, however, often dictate options. I'll get a few magazines of some heavy stuff. I shoot a .30-06 loaded with 200gr Nosler Partitions and my son shoots a "howitzer with a stock" (.300 Weatherby Magnum) loaded with 180gr. Noslers. My concern is meeting the dead critter's cousin while we go through the brush finding the recently dispatched swine.

Sponsored Links