Ammo prices heading up? - Page 2

Ammo prices heading up?

This is a discussion on Ammo prices heading up? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; bought some nails last week. 3.77 a pound at home depot. Found some old exact same nails from lowes that were maybe, i don't know, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Ammo prices heading up?

bought some nails last week. 3.77 a pound at home depot. Found some old exact same nails from lowes that were maybe, i don't know, 12 to 15 years old. That same box was marked $1.17 a pound. Thats a 3x price increase in 15 years. I sure wish my salary increased that much and I wish my home value increased that much. Ammo going up? Long haul you bet your behind. As long as the feds spend our taxes and then some, devalue the dollar, increase the price of energy due to regulations. Raw materials will increase fast. Sales seem to be brisk these first weeks of 2012 compared to last year. I'd say 25% increase in sales at the local gun shows.

Yes, I returned the $3.77/lb nails to home depot.
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

Quote Originally Posted by ponchsox View Post
    I'm stocking up just in case. With the increase in fuel prices combined with the political issues I can see a shortening supply very quickly.
    Prices go up when more and more people think like this. "Stocking up just in case" causes an artificial shortage created out of fear that "there won't be any for me". Just what the manufacturers want. The NRA is pushing the fear and the gullible ones are drinking the cool-aid.
    NCW Ray likes this.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Senior Moderator
    Prices go up when more and more people think like this. "Stocking up just in case" causes an artificial shortage created out of fear that "there won't be any for me". Just what the manufacturers want. The NRA is pushing the fear and the gullible ones are drinking the cool-aid.
    That me be entirely true, but fact of the matter is...its all about supply and demand.

At least those that drank the cool-aid will have ammo.

If I am going to be in error, I'd rather have it my favor. It nothing happens at least I'll have some ammo to shoot.
    Stubborn likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I just got an email from Brownells and they are expecting more shortages then in 2008. Looks like supplies are tightening up. I would rather stock up and at least have some ammo to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    That me be entirely true, but fact of the matter is...its all about supply and demand.

At least those that drank the cool-aid will have ammo.

If I am going to be in error, I'd rather have it my favor. It nothing happens at least I'll have some ammo to shoot.
    "I'd rather have it my favor."

Are you in a business that will profit from the panic? Just wondering why you would promote "drinking the koolaid". "At least all those who drink the koolaid will have ammo"

I'm suggesting everyone just chill out and there is plenty of ammo to go around if you just relax. There is NO reason to drink the Koolaid unless of course you want to see sales increase.

Senior Moderator
    Are you in a business that will profit from the panic? Just wondering why you would promote "drinking the koolaid".
    I'm actually not promoting anything. Could care less actually as I dont sell ammo. I shoot a lot of it though. Did a suppressor demo today and shot over 500 rounds.

You can "chill out" all you want...and in a few weeeks you can post how that works for you in a market that is dictated by supply and demand.

still...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I'm actually not promoting anything. Could care less actually as I dont sell ammo. I shoot a lot of it though. Did a suppressor demo today and shot over 500 rounds.

You can "chill out" all you want...and in a few weeeks you can post how that works for you in a market that is dictated by supply and demand.

still...
    You made it somewhat apparent that you like the financial benefits of the current shortage when you said in a recent post that you're "laughing all the way to the bank". I don't think most people here are happy about the increase/shortage in ammo prices. When you advocate urgency/fear and then laughing all the way to the bank makes me wonder what your motive is.

I dont much care what or who fuels the urge to buy guns.

One might note, if they had a clue, that guns runs and inflated prices occured under Clinton, and then again under Obama.
    The delusional among us might not see that, but there are plenty here that do.

And lets not ignore the fact that there are a lot of die hard "liberals" that have never owned a gun that are buying them right now. They are buying guns and stockpiling ammo. Of course, they could be considered ignorant too, but they dont get the NRA propaganda because they arent members of the NRA. They are Obamanites. Hard core Obama can do no wrong types.

As for me...
    I'm laughing my tail off all the way to the bank.

Senior Moderator
    Well I actually am laughing all the way to the bank, I cant deny that.

I've been selling suppressors literally faster than I can get them. The AR/AK customs builds are very hot. Accurate rifles with suppressors and night vision are quite the rage right now and business is brisk. I started my part time business with one goal...so that I could buy more toys and widgets to shoot. That has progressed beyond my wildest expectations and the idiots that run this country of ours are fueling the fire. As a custom builder, I am very busy.

I have no motivations other than to alert people that we are going to see the same types of buying habits that we originally saw when we elected the current administration.

As a gun dealer/manufacturer, I am already seeing supply's of gun parts dwindle to near nothing. Custom barrel manufactures are way behind. Ammo is going up. Its been happening for a while actually, just now are we seeing ammo shortages and prices go up...again.

The Obamanites refuse to believe that it is nothing but intentionally induced hype just to raise guns and ammo prices. What they do not understand is that many people fear for the future in a way that they have never experienced for various reasons. They have less confidence in their Government than ever before, and although it may be somewhat misguided, many people feel that they can prepare for the worst buy buying guns and ammo. At least it gives them the feeling that they are doing something to ensure their survival in hard times and not just sitting on their hands depending on someone else for their well being. Right/wrong, it is what it is.

I am fortunate that I am in a position to capitalize upon the fears of others. One trade or craft that has always prospered in both hard times and good times is that of the armorer. Whether it was producing slings to propel rocks, the art of sharpening sticks,fabricating bows, chipping arrowheads, beating pieces of iron into swords or armor, making things that shoot, all the way up to producing exotic weapons,the guys with the skills and the tools to produce weapons of war never starved if they were good at their craft. It is no different today.

Gun manufactures across the board are experiencing record sales. Gun ownership is at an all time high, and many are first time buyers that don't feel very confident about the future.

No doubt, this is a good time to be a builder/seller/supplier of all things gun and that includes ammo.

About the only good thing that I can see out of an administration that is hell bent on destroying this country from within is that they are making me rich..for the time being...or at least until we have a total economic collapse.

So there ya have it.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    A combination of people getting tax refunds + concern over election result later this year = stock up now.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Everything is going up in price. So stock up on all your guns ammo food and supplies. Watch doomsday preppers they will show us how to do it right lol. Teotwawki ( The end of the world as we know it)

I am in the ammo business and manufacturers are raising their prices across the board. The increases range from 5% to 15% depending on the manufacturer. The Federal, Remington and Fiocchi reps have told me they expect there to be another round of panic buying starting this summer and of course they are urging us to stock up now. I am not so sure I subscribe to this theory but I can tell you that the first two months of of 2012 have been exceptionally busy..............very busy indeed.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

My Wally World is running short on ammo already like it was 3 years ago. Fortunately I have a large reserve supply of ammo and materials to make more ammo from 2008 prior to the shortages and price increases. You do need to stock up now if you want to have the supply that you are comfortable with.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Redline View Post
    I am in the ammo business and manufacturers are raising their prices across the board. The increases range from 5% to 15% depending on the manufacturer. The Federal, Remington and Fiocchi reps have told me they expect there to be another round of panic buying starting this summer and of course they are urging us to stock up now. I am not so sure I subscribe to this theory but I can tell you that the first two months of of 2012 have been exceptionally busy..............very busy indeed.

Since you are in the business maybe you can clarify a rumor I heard. I'm guessing there is nothing to this but a buddy at work this morning told me his LGS owner had told him some rich dude billionaire was buying out a bunch of the big name companies. I can't remember the ones he told me but I think Remington and Federal were among them. He stated that said billionaire was incredibly anti gun and was going to raise the prices and slow production then eventually shut down said companies. This to me just sounds like someone trying to promote a steady sale of ammo no matter the price. I'll keep buying and keep shooting. I do need to stock up my reserve is quite low anyways but yeah. That's the rumor I heard and personally don't believe it.

The group you're referring to is called, "The Cerberus Group".

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    "With great firepower comes great responsibility."

Quote Originally Posted by saaarmed View Post
    I believe wwe will see the same kind of increase in ammo that we see in food, etc..
    Welcome to the forum

I got some ammo over the weekend and the better priced stuff was bought up in 5.56/.223 but otherwise did not seem too abnormal at Academy. Gander Mountain had some clean shelves..

They had bulk 420rd .223 on strippers in the can for $220 at Gander, $169 at Academy and online it was $149.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links