Difference between 230gr and 185gr

This is a discussion on Difference between 230gr and 185gr within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know the first thing you will tell me 45gr but what difference will it make in shooting? I shot up my carry ammo today ...

Thread: Difference between 230gr and 185gr

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar

I know the first thing you will tell me 45gr but what difference will it make in shooting?

I shot up my carry ammo today and when i went to replace it they were out of the Speer GoldDot 230gr GDHP so I got the 185gr GDHP they also had some 200gr but it was +P and i was not sure I should shot that in my Kimber.

So 2 questions:

What difference will I see between the 230 and 185?

Exactly what is +P and should I shoot it in my Kimber??
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    The differance between the 185 and 230 will be velocity, energy, and most importantly, point of impact.

You will want to shoot the 185's to see exactly where they shoot in relation to your usual 230 load.

+p is ammo that is loaded to a higher pressure rating in order to increase velocity and energy, and typically assists in gaining optimum expansion from HP ammo. It sometimes aids in penetration slightly, but this is often ofset by increased expansion.
    Fear No Evil.

VIP Member
    It was said the other day, at 15 yds or closer, particularly 7, it isn't going to matter much for carry ammo. Speed and ft-lbs are the real issue and even those parameters are mute at those ranges.

As far as shooting +P's in your Kimber, I carry a Kimber Stainless TLE II and Kimber advised me that it is OK to shoot this type of ammo. I carry them as my duty ammo. You can go to kimberamerica.com and ask about your particular gun.

no one can tell you what the difference will be it is your gun the best way to find out is to shoot some.

The answers that have geen given to your 230 vs. 185 questions were more than sufficient, so I will answer the Kimber question. If I remeber correctly, you carry a Ultra CDP, right? I carry the stainless ultra II. Pretty much the same piece with a few outward differences and a big price difference. Since yours as well as mine have an aluminum frame I would probably shy away from +pressure rounds. Not to say that aluminum does not make a good frame, but it is lighter than steel, and I think that should tell you something. I have shot +p from mine and it was a large enough difference and feel that I did not feel comfortable shooting enough of it to be proficient with +p rounds. I would stick to normal pressure and possibly go with double tap ammo if you want more velocity from standard pressure. Hope this helps!

Double Tap's Website:
    http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php
    Last edited by GlockinItUp; August 28th, 2006 at 03:40 PM.
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Thanks guys I appreciate all the answers!
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Yes the 185gr will shoot to a differant point of aim than the 230gr. even at 15yds.

I too had to buy 185gr when the 230gr was out of stock.

As the 185gr travels faster it leaves the barrel sooner thus shoots low. This will happen on any type, make or caliber.
    The 185gr+P shot about 4 inches low in my Baby Eagle. The reg 185gr hits a little higher.
    Be Safe and Careful,
    Corbett

Mountaineers Are Always Free

When that round comes screaming at the bad guy, he nor you will even care what size it is, because you are just wanting him to stop.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

I just backordered two boxes of 230gr. GDs from Midway this morning, is there a Gold Dot shortage upon us? Seriously, anyone else having trouble finding 230gr. defense ammo out there?

The only 230gr defense load Midway had in stock was Win SXT (not the Ranger load). I carried and used the SXT load and think it's okay but I'd prefer Golden Sabers or Hydrashocks over them and, since I really wanted to try the Speer GD anyway, I figured BO was the way to go - 185gr. just doesn't float my boat, especially in a 1911 ... it's just sacriledge.
    Jack

I was intrigued by the +P question since I carry a Ultra CDP II and it is also an aluminum frame. So I contacted (800) 880-2418, www.kimberamerica.com and they informed me that their guns were ALL designed to handle +P ammo or standard. The only caveat is that they would not use a continuous diet of stell cased ammo. That is not an issue for me. Hope this helps.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links