Ditching a caliber?

Ditching a caliber?

This is a discussion on Ditching a caliber? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Currently, my primary EDCs are Glocks in 9mm, 45ACP, and 10mm. I like the 9mm for magazine capacity, low recoil, and cheaper ammo. The 10mm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Ditching a caliber?

Ditching a caliber?

Currently, my primary EDCs are Glocks in 9mm, 45ACP, and 10mm. I like the 9mm for magazine capacity, low recoil, and cheaper ammo. The 10mm is great because it offers excellent ballistics. I also like the 45ACP for the excellent ballistics. However, recently I have been thinking about selling my only 45ACP handgun, a Glock 30SF, and all of my 45ACP ammo in favor of another 9mm or 10mm handgun and some 40 cal bullets and brass for reloading 10mm. I guess I just don't see the need for my 45 anymore because 10mm does everything 45ACP can do.

Any thoughts on this? Has someone ditched a handgun caliber in favor of something else?

VIP Member
    Welcome to DC.

You've listed 3 of my favorite handgun calibers. If your splits on the 10mm are as good as the 45, more power to you. I find that my recovery is a lot slower on the 10mm, hence I rarely carry it for self defense. Although I need all three.

10mm caused me to all but abandon 45ACp....

VIP Member
    You have listed my three favorite calibers, as well.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

sgb
    I whittled my handgun calibers down to .22lr, 9mm & 45acp
    LeftofMars likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Sounds to me like you've got the top and bottom ends of the SD caliber spectrum covered with the 9 & 10mms. I can understand your thinking:10mm when you want power; 9mm when you want inexpensive (?) practice or higher capacity. It sort of places the .45 in the "also-ran" catagory. If you don't "see the need," then move on.

The only caliber I could consider "ditched" by me is I sold a Ruger BH .357 mag and bought one in .41 Mag. That was the best move I ever made!. The .41 was awesome, yet controllable. I no longer have it (stolen), but think of it often.
    Mike1956 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    If you like to shoot a lot and reload, the low pressure 45 cases can be reloaded more times, plus it's more fun to shoot. And, a warm 45 >= 10mm momentum. If it were me, I'd keep all three, or trade the 10mm off on a 41 or 44, if you want a bigger hammer. Next is a bigger safe.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I think that your reasoning is sound provided that you are as accurate and quick with follow-up shots with the 10mm as you are with the 45. I applaud your idea of reloading for the 10mm, but suggest you look for another 9mm (e.g. An M&P or a Browning HP maybe?) since high capacity 10mm are pretty rare.

I guess the nice thing about 10mm is that I can pretty much load up whatever I like. I usually carry 155gr SilverTips loaded to around 1350fps, but I've also carried 135gr Noslers at around 1550fps. If I wanted a bit less recoil, I could always lower the velocity a bit.

I haven't gotten around to loading 45ACP because I have so much ammo, but I do know that I can reload 10mm for cheaper since 40cal bullets are less than 45cal.

I'll still have to think on it some, but it just seems like my Glock 19 and 29 get carried a lot, while the 30 sits in the safe. I don't like keeping something around that I don't use.

If a full year goes by and you have something that you didn't use in that year, get rid of it. Of course there are exceptions..collectables, items with sentimental value, etc. I dont own one, but nothing beats the feeling I get from shooting a well-crafted, custom 1911 chambered in 45.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

Ditching a caliber? Sure....why not? Your ditching a caliber is the same as me not getting into another caliber when what I have serves my purposes. Simple economics actually. I've manged to keep them to a simple three over the years. 9mm, 40S&W, and 45ACP. Some might say.....357SIG, and 10mm. Any time you have good reasons to drop OR acquire a new caliber........it's obviously for a good cause. You don't need to run your thought or wished by us unless you're truly unsure of what you should do. Even then, you put yourself at risk for others' opinions. Opinions won't save you....only you can do that.
    Truth be known, I've avoided some handgun calibers in favor of those I have. I did ditch the .380 in favor of the 9mm a long time ago. I'll be last in line to say the .380 isn't a defensive caliber because it is. Anything you can use to save your life is better than becoming a statistic. Your willingness to employ and believe in your tools are most of what you'll need to keep sucking air. If you're put down by a BG tomorrow, we'll miss you on the forum. We can't be there for you in time of need even if we wished we could. Therefore your own decisions are the best decisions. Nobody can second guess you here. You still have support...but only to a certain extent. My thoughts? Yep. You have them. Do your best.

VIP Member
    Why ditch any, get a bigger safe!!!!!!!
    msgt/ret likes this.

Bigger safe is the answer, but what would you want for the gun?
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    "If you keep your life simple you can literally self sustain, need is the ultimate monkey."

Line I like out of the movie "Way of the gun." I have closed out calibers before too. But this gun trading thing. I end up with with those same calibers again.

But what your saying really does make a lot of sense.

I am down to 25 different thank god only 11 are pistol calibers and two of those are either or(pistol / rifle)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links