In search of a hotter 44spl carry loading.

This is a discussion on In search of a hotter 44spl carry loading. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Without disagreeing with anything so far posted, I would - for reloads, not factory loaded ammunition - suggest the use of "Matt's Bullets" in caliber ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: In search of a hotter 44spl carry loading.

Bullet selection

Without disagreeing with anything so far posted, I would - for reloads, not factory loaded ammunition - suggest the use of "Matt's Bullets" in caliber 44.

Matt's offers three FULL WADCUTTER shaped bullets, in weights from 185 to 250 grains. I'm loading some stronger than factory but still gentle loads for a Second Model Hand Ejector I do not wish to beat out too fast. I can get about 800 f/s with a slow enough powder to be gentle on the old dear. The website is mattsbullet.com; I have no financial interest in this company, but the bullets shoot pretty good.

A 250 grain flat fronted bullet at 800 f/s is just a little better than a FMJ .45 ACP round.

I'm not sure how this load would work in a Charter or Taurus snubby, but these bullets look to be a good place to start.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

Had to google it. The correct link is
    Matts Bullets

Michael

He's got some really interesting bullet designs I'd love to try. His site says all ordering is temporarily suspended because he is so far behind.

I saved this one to favorites and intend to revisit him. Might even go see him sometime while we're in Little Rock on a visit to our son and family.

Archie, I think your 250 bullet load suggestion is a great idea for Charter Arms revolvers.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Mlr1m, thank you for the correction. Some days I have to check my ID twice to remember who I am.

McGilvray, I should think a load safe for a Second Model would be safe for a Charter. I hazard a guess one might load for one's hand rather than one's revolver with a Charter.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Hi Archie;

It's actually a Third Model (Model of 1926) rather than the Second Model but they were produce simultaneously and from the same steel and heat treat process.

I wouldn't fire even one of the Elmer Keith loads from any Charter on a bet. I'd be afraid it would grenade. Of course I'm not shooting any more of them through my own .44 Special either. Recoil from a Bull Dog would be dreadful if it did hold together.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Thumbs up Registered just to post about underwood ammo. Suggested a new load, they made it.

Bull Dog 44 Special 200 Grain Bonded Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 50

Technical Information
    • Caliber: 44 Special
    • Bullet Weight: 200 Grains
    • Bullet Style: Speer Bonded Jacketed Hollow Point
    • Case Type: Brass

Ballistics Information:

• Muzzle Velocity: 975 fps
    •Muzzle Energy: 423 ft. lbs.

I have a Rossi 720 3" 44spl. I see people testing the Gold Dot and it crawls over their crono.

They have a real hot loaded Gold dot 44 spl at 1100 fps but with a warning not for Bulldog. I started emailed them about taming that load or making another one for the masses. Taurus and Charter snubbies etc... suggested 950-975. Of course they took the higher. I ordered three boxes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links