New Hornady TAP question

New Hornady TAP question

This is a discussion on New Hornady TAP question within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked up a new box of Hornady TAP FPD ammunition today and noticed they are no longer using that dark coating on the cases. ...

Thread: New Hornady TAP question

New Hornady TAP question

I picked up a new box of Hornady TAP FPD ammunition today and noticed they are no longer using that dark coating on the cases. I don't have an issue with it, I was just curious as to why they would go back to standard nickel plated cases.

The black nickel coating had a tendency of flaking off.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I recall seeing the change mentioned a little while back. It was indicated that the switch to nickel plated cases was for better visibility in low light, such as when checking if you have a round chambered.

Quote Originally Posted by Eichorn View Post
    I recall seeing the change mentioned a little while back. It was indicated that the switch to nickel plated cases was for better visibility in low light, such as when checking if you have a round chambered.
    My understanding as well. Couldn't see the darker case during low light press check.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Quote Originally Posted by Eichorn View Post
    This.

Does the simple look of your ammo cause you to question it's application or it's worthiness to be deployed? What are our troops dealing with overseas? I'll leave it at that for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Does the simple look of your ammo cause you to question it's application or it's worthiness to be deployed? What are our troops dealing with overseas? I'll leave it at that for the time being.
    The question was "why did they..." Not is it good, bad, indifferent or will it go bang...at night, in the Sand Box, in the alley or wherever/whatever... OP clearly stated he had no issue/fear or "cringe" factor with the change he was simply curious...I get curious about things as well don't you?
    Who is John Galt?

Thanks Jem102. I was just curious as to why it was different than the last time I bought them. Hornady ammunition is not that great in terms of large expansion, but is acceptable. What I find is best for Hornady is the accuracy and reported penetration. I have always had better accuracy with Hornady bullets in many different calibers.

I have found the Hornady ammo accurate as well and believe the XTP's will expand well but have a hard time finding the Custom loadings locally esp. .45 acp. I can get TAP in the +P which is OK for the HK but don't like to shoot it from the 1911 so most times I carry/buy Gold Dots which are easy to get.
    Who is John Galt?

Sponsored Links