Winchester Q4369 and Federal XM40HC 40 Cal ammo

This is a discussion on Winchester Q4369 and Federal XM40HC 40 Cal ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently received a shipment of ammo I ordered from SG Ammo. I ordered 2 boxes of Winchester Q4369 180 grain bonded JHPs which were ...

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar

I recently received a shipment of ammo I ordered from SG Ammo. I ordered 2 boxes of Winchester Q4369 180 grain bonded JHPs which were brass cased. From Winchester I was told that this ammo was surplus from the FBI contract of the PDX-1s but used brass cases because the contract required the ammo to be sealed and brass casings were better suited for the sealant. Both boxes seem pretty much worthless. They used red sealant which seemed to be just painted on and was a complete mess. Also i had 10 rounds out of 100 that was way over crimped and I don't feel safe firing them. Third problem was one round had a huge bulge in the case. Needless to say these are factory seconds. What upset me was that SGammo didn't put on their site that these rounds were seconds.

I also bought 2 boxes of Federal XM40HC which is brass cased HST ammo. Again this was surplus ammo from the ICE contract which is what Federal said after contacting them. After inspecting the rounds I found them to be in pristine condition. I found 2 rounds that had superficial dents in the case. After I run the two boxes I have through my Glocks I will be ordering a bunch of more this.

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    I recently received a shipment of ammo I ordered from SG Ammo. I ordered 2 boxes of Winchester Q4369 180 grain bonded JHPs which were brass cased. From Winchester I was told that this ammo was surplus from the FBI contract of the PDX-1s but used brass cases because the contract required the ammo to be sealed and brass casings were better suited for the sealant. Both boxes seem pretty much worthless. They used red sealant which seemed to be just painted on and was a complete mess. Also i had 10 rounds out of 100 that was way over crimped and I don't feel safe firing them. Third problem was one round had a huge bulge in the case. Needless to say these are factory seconds. What upset me was that SGammo didn't put on their site that these rounds were seconds.

I also bought 2 boxes of Federal XM40HC which is brass cased HST ammo. Again this was surplus ammo from the ICE contract which is what Federal said after contacting them. After inspecting the rounds I found them to be in pristine condition. I found 2 rounds that had superficial dents in the case. After I run the two boxes I have through my Glocks I will be ordering a bunch of more this.
    Good choice.

I've put about a thousand rounds total of the XM40HC through both of my Glock 23's, and it's been absolutely flawless. It's excellent SD/Duty ammo, and it's what I'm currently carrying in my Gen 4.

As far as the Q4369 goes, yes, it's pretty "ugly" ammo. The cases are scratched to hell, the sealant is in places it shouldn't be, and the primers are all different colors. This seems to be a trend with Winchester ammo, however. Even the Ranger-T loads are in "bad" condition when compared to Speer Gold Dot and Federal HST, and I've seen multiple Winchester loads from different lots fail far more often than they should, especially through heavy clothing. Simply, I no longer buy any ammunition from Winchester since the QC of ATK (Speer/Federal) is obviously far superior.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Links