How long do you keep ammo in your daily carry gun? - Page 2

How long do you keep ammo in your daily carry gun?

This is a discussion on How long do you keep ammo in your daily carry gun? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a good discussion. I think I will formally adopt the system some folks have been discussing, shoot my mag of carry ammo to ...

View Poll Results: How long do you keep ammo in your daily carry gun, before it needs to be replaced?

Voters
180. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than 1 month

21 11.67%
  • 1-3 months

36 20.00%
  • 4-6 months

32 17.78%
  • 6-12 months

53 29.44%
  • 12-18 months

17 9.44%
  • 1-2 years

11 6.11%
  • 2-3 years

0 0%
  • 3-4 years

2 1.11%
  • 4-5 years

0 0%
  • 5-10 years

0 0%
  • 10+ years, or until I need to “use it”

8 4.44%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How long do you keep ammo in your daily carry gun?

This is a good discussion. I think I will formally adopt the system some folks have been discussing, shoot my mag of carry ammo to start a range session. (I usually do this anyways). I go to the range at least every other month, sometimes more often.

I don't usually worry about bullet setback. I normally load my carry gun and leave it that way till the trigger gets pulled at the range.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hsuCowboy98 View Post
    I simply fire my loaded mag when I get to the range, just as a additional check for function/relibility. I try to shoot the whole box of whatever I have on hand that month, just for good practice.
    Same here....
    I will empty any additional mags with carry ammo as well....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Pretty much what most other folks do. I haven't been able to get to the range as much as I'd like lately but when I do, the carry ammo gets fired off and replaced with fresh stuff.

It's not so much environmental factors like rain or heat I'm concerned with but the exposure to lube and solvent and even more importantly, it gives the carry mags a function check. If I go to the range and shoot up my primary and reload mag ammo then switch to using my range mags for the rest of the day, each carry mag has been tested once that trip but not to the extent of my more heavily used range mags (which are due for new springs BTW).

It gives me a bit of trigger time with my carry ammo without breaking the bank, lets me function check my carry mags and the rest of the session is with fmj. I do the same with my J-frame when I carry that too ... just in case.
    Jack

Assistant Administrator
    Jack - I wonder if you and any others have a thought such as I do when shooting off carry ammo.

I am a bit of a cheapskate and do not relish high expenditure to excess on pricey SD ammo - tho will not stint on it either.

But - each time when I shoot that stuff off - a mental cash register ''tings'' with each bang and I think - ''so - there goes another that was just fine''
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

As a standard practice i tell my students to rotate their ammo every quarter at least. Since the weather in the Philippines is either wet or humid plus the fact that traditional practice among gun carriers here is to over oil their firearms to protect them from sweat and the environment, its best to make sure that the carry load is changed every so often. I would also recommend that the chambered round be replaced the moment it is cleared from the chamber so we could avoid the possibility of extration failures.

Check Six Always

Snooky

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I can't carry a handgun, but do carry a shotgun for bear defense, I shoot all the carry ammo at the end of each season and replace it. Shotgun ammo is not as robust as pistol ammo.

I normally rotate mine out about every two weeks. I know it isnt going to spoil in two weeks, but I get paid bi-weekly so its easy to keep up with.

i shoot all the time out on the farm, but i go to an actual range about once a month, when i go to the range, i fire the hornady tap i have in my kimber first, then load target ammo, when i am done i reload the mag with fresh tap +p.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Jack - I wonder if you and any others have a thought such as I do when shooting off carry ammo.

I am a bit of a cheapskate and do not relish high expenditure to excess on pricey SD ammo - tho will not stint on it either.

But - each time when I shoot that stuff off - a mental cash register ''tings'' with each bang and I think - ''so - there goes another that was just fine''
    Yes sir, that's EXACTLY what I think! It's expensive to fire off the good stuff, especially when WWB fires to the same POI as my Golden Saber carry ammo. Better safe than sorry but as soon as my backordered Gold Dots come in for the Mil-Spec I've got to function test them as a new carry round ... even more expense that I don't relish the thought of - has to be done though.
    Jack

i'll shoot a mag or 2 of carry ammo once a year...now that the gas prices have come down a bit I actually bought a couple boxes of Cor-Bons and shot them this weekend...heh

I rotate ammo about once a month, but that doesn't mean I shoot it. I just don't like leaving a magazine loaded for more than a month w/o a load/unload ammo rotation ( not the top two, the entire magazine). As long as ammo is kept dry in a controlled temp environment it is good longer than most would keep it anyway.

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    I can't carry, but in my nightstand gun I shoot 1 magazine of my self defense ammo each trip to the range. So I usually rotate my ammo twice a month.

Depends on the supply; if I find a great deal on Gold Dot or Golden Saber in any of my carry calibers, I'll buy a full loadout, and next range trip I shoot up what I've been carrying in that gun. Otherwise, I'll try not to let any SD ammo get more than a year old in the gun, or a couple of years on the shelf.

Sealed, carefully stored ammo I would probably consider keeping longer on the shelf, but I haven't seen any 50rd sealed tins of Golden Sabers in the CTD catalog yet

I shoot my carry ammo atleast once a month. I just like the thought of fresh ammo.
    GeorgiaCarry.Org Member
    NRA Member

I like Matt's method. As a variation, if the range is slow, I will set up 3 targets on adjacent lanes at different distances and engage from a "cold start". Kind of an eye-opener sometimes.
    ""If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, I either won't need more or, more won't help me.""

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links