Best .357 sig ammo

This is a discussion on Best .357 sig ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I actually know more about .380.. 9mm and 10mm than I do .357 SIG, but learning about this dynamic stopper is quite fun. I only ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Best .357 sig ammo

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I actually know more about .380..

9mm and 10mm than I do .357 SIG, but learning about this dynamic stopper is
    quite fun.

I only wish more companies like CZ would offer guns for it.

The P-06 from CZ CUSTOM is dreamy, but also spendy for most.

KEV
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    When I'm not carrying my G30SF, I am carrying my G23 with a .357sig barrel in it, loaded with these:
    Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Handgun :: Choose by Caliber :: 357 Sig :: 357 Sig 147 gr XTP®
    Here ther are cheaper:
    6-0306158 - Ammo .357 SIG Hornady Custom XTP 147 Grain JHP 1225 fps 20 Round Box

My wife also shoots .357sig from the .357 sig barrel in my G27. But she likes these:
    6-0305932 - Ammo .357 SIG Speer Gold Dot Hollow Point 125 Grain 1375 fps 20 Round Box

She seems to shoot them better so I don't complain about it.

As for range ammo we shoot whatever we can get the cheapest and easiest at the time. I have found that if you shop around on the net you can find deals on range ammo. But the carry ammo is in the same price range as .40.
    Stop whining and go make a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

The new DT 180gr Hardcast looks good so far. You can tell they are heavy for a 9mm/357 bullet in your hand.

They seem to hand feed and eject from the Glock 32.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    I use DoubleTap for 357 mag & 357 sig.

Georgia Arms - .357 SIG is about the most affordable for target rounds... $20 more per 500 rds than 40.
    This is where I get mine. The cost is only SLIGHTLY more than .40 cal. Good stuff.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

The new Double Tap production of the 125 grain Gold Dot uses Gold Dots for sure.

I have two boxes of them.

More info if interested, they now come in 20 round boxes as well.:

DoubleTap Ammunition

DoubleTap Ammunition
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

Quote Originally Posted by Bear.357 View Post
    What ammo is best for .357 sig that is affordable and decent for target shooting? It seems all ammo for this caliber is pretty outrageously priced. Is it worth the few extra cents a round for something a bit better or does it not really matter in a well maintained gun? Also best Carry ammo, Hornady and if so what type in particular.
    Kind of like buying a vehicle that performs best with high octane fuel. How much does it really matter if you put mid grade in it? A vehicle should always be well maintained in order to be most efficient. Keeping it well maintained pretty much dictates you put the required fuel in it right? The vehicle itself may have been a good price......often times you'll need to look beyond that in order to make the best decision.

i usually use Winchester White Box, Remington Yellow box, or Speer Lawman practice ammo. Self defense rounds have included Federal 125 grain JHP's, Triton Quik Shok and JHP's, with a brief flirtation with RBCD sintered rounds. probably going to the tried and true Speer 125 grain Gold Dots. or i may try some of the VERY interesting offerings from Double Tap. (thanks, guys!) since .357SIG was designed to resemble the ballistics of the very street-proven .357Magnum 125 grain SJHP's from Federal and Remington, i see no reason to try the heavier SIG rounds for personal SD against humans.

as an early adopter of this caliber (Sig P-229/.357SIG in 1995), i am pleased that there are a significant number of people on this site who use this caliber in their carry guns. in 1995, i figured that if the caliber died, i'd just buy a .40S&W barrel and shoot .40. well, i've bought the .40 barrel, but i rarely use it. i did read a magazine article a few months ago that listed .357SIG as among the declining calibers in terms of popularity. (comments, anyone?)

also interesting to me that site consensus seems to be that .357SIG recoils LESS than .40S&W. while this is my opinion as well (based on casual memory and virtually NO comparison shooting), Ammo and Ballistics 3 rates the .40 as a .74 on its recoil scale and .357SIG slightly higher at .76. A&B3 also rates 9x19 at .65, .45ACP at .93, and .357Magnum at .89. i'm guessing that this rating does NOT take into account the guns that typically shoot these calibers. i know that i find .45ACP MUCH easier to shoot in my guns - even my S&W 625 revolvers, than full power .357Magnum in a 4" K-frame or Ruger GP-100.

"War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend..." Faramir to Frodo and Sam in JRR Tokien's The Two Towers. with appreciation to the fellow DC member who used this in a post. i couldn't locate the post to credit him/her, but thank you.

I know that the Speer 125 Gold dot is the golden rule for stopping power in the .357 SIG, but in my humble opinion.

The Barnes X as in TAC XP and others is a more advanced bullet that you never have to worry about being bonded or not.

It seems to be at the top of most any tests these days, and based on my limited research, it works well in 9mm.

Punch it up a couple 100 fps or so into .357 SIG and you can see why I have no qualms carrying it.

The Sierra 125 gr. load has worked well in at least one shooting that I know of as well.

I'd like to see Double Tap and others offer a 125 gr. Barnes TAC-XP for those guys who would jump the
    fence(so to speak) if they could get a 125 with even more velocity than the Gold Dot 125s.

like I've said before, this .357 SIG is very interesting.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

Corbons 125gr. JHP has a proven street record!
    Out of a 4 inch barrell thie ammo reaches 1425fps.

I just ordered 150rds of 125grain Federal HST JHP that I will be testing for one of my carry loads in 357Sig. When I carry my M&P357Sig it is loaded with Speer Gold Dot 125Grain Jhp. From all of the testing that I have seen, Federal HST is a consistent performer. Hope to put Federal HST into the 357Sig carry rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpoppa48 View Post
    I just ordered 150rds of 125grain Federal HST JHP that I will be testing for one of my carry loads in 357Sig. When I carry my M&P357Sig it is loaded with Speer Gold Dot 125Grain Jhp. From all of the testing that I have seen, Federal HST is a consistent performer. Hope to put Federal HST into the 357Sig carry rotation.
    Eager to see any test results you get for .357sig round!

Cat-O-Matic,"TnOutdoors9" has a very good YouTube video of a Federal HST 357Sig ammo test he just did the other week.

Cat-O-Matic,"TnOutdoors9" has a very good YouTube video of a Federal HST 357Sig ammo test he just did the other week.
    Thank-You! I love watching good ammo test videos! Time to get my afternoon coffee!

.357 SIG Federal HST Ammo Gel test - YouTube

I wonder how fast some of those rounds would be out of a 5.5" barrel like I put in my nightstand Beretta?

Or maybe out of a rifle length barrel?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links