Best .357 sig ammo

This is a discussion on Best .357 sig ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wow, that is really impressive. I may need a 357 barrel for my Glock 40's. I have never followed the 357 Sig as I was ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Best .357 sig ammo

Wow, that is really impressive. I may need a 357 barrel for my Glock 40's. I have never followed the 357 Sig as I was issued plenty of hot 155 grn 40, however, this warrants further research.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 40bob View Post
    wow, that is really impressive. I may need a 357 barrel for my glock 40's. I have never followed the 357 sig as i was issued plenty of hot 155 grn 40, however, this warrants further research.
    Do you have a warrant for that research? This will be one hot round(1350-1450fps) to investigate!

Thats what I am thinking, the agencies that use it speak very highly of it. When the BP went to the 155 grn 40 it was giving us the same energy figures as the 158 Grn 357 mag. This is identical to the 125 Grn 357 mag! I know, I know it has been out for years where have I been........

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    The 125 gr. .357 Magnum load was your conventional JHP that fragmented when impacting a target, or in mosts cases a
    felon.

These days you have loads like the bonded hollow-points, and the Barnes X bullet that are a bit lighter than the 125s,
    but truly have no jacket to shed *Tac-XP* or won't shed because of the bonding *Gold Dot, HST*ect.

Bullets that expand far more then the original King of the Street (and highways ) load.

I like .357 SIG Glasers for home defense, even if some say it would be too loud.

Even with one of my 9mms, it will be loud- so I keep some muffs by my bed.

3 Glasers on top of more traditional/fragmenting 125 gr. Sierra JHPs that is:)
    sensei2 likes this.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

Quote Originally Posted by clarkston_cz View Post
    The 125 gr. .357 Magnum load was your conventional JHP that fragmented when impacting a target, or in mosts cases a
    felon.

These days you have loads like the bonded hollow-points, and the Barnes X bullet that are a bit lighter than the 125s,
    but truly have no jacket to shed *Tac-XP* or won't shed because of the bonding *Gold Dot, HST*ect.

Bullets that expand far more then the original King of the Street (and highways ) load.

I like .357 SIG Glasers for home defense, even if some say it would be too loud.

"I keep some muffs by my bed." You'd really use them in the middle of the night?
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Speer Gold Dot and Federal HST are two of the best loads you can carry. Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo
    TNoutdoors9 has tested both of them in Sim-test media. TNOUTDOORS9 Guns - POV Shooting - Ammo Reviews - YouTube
    I want to get a .357 Sig barrel for my M&P...

LOL, you're a funny guy.

Home intruder, please don't move while I affix my hearing protection.......

Quote Originally Posted by greyeyezz View Post
    Home intruder, please don't move while I affix my hearing protection.......
    Just shout " FIRE IN THE HOLE"

The new Double Tap production of the 125 grain Gold Dot uses Gold Dots for sure.

I have two boxes of them.

More info if interested, they now come in 20 round boxes as well.:

DoubleTap Ammunition

DoubleTap Ammunition

Love Doubletap ammo- especially their 357 125gr jhp Sierra-fragments just like the 357 magnum!

I think that any old hand on the Border Patrol can remember the Federal 9BPLE 9mm +P+ load.

They (reportedly) had somewhat better stopping power results when they experimented with .38 Supers for
    a while. No idea which brand or load, just that there were more than a few shootings with the caliber.

I've shot quite a bit of 9mm+P, 9mm +P+ (esp. the old Remington +P+) and .38 Super.

The nines acted like hot Nines, nothing really special there.

While the .38 Super seemed to have a .357 magnum whallop to it on my end
    in both recoil and report. I could tell that it was not a 9mm I was shooting.
    Pretty snorty, but not as flippy as a forty.

The .357 SIG acts kind of like a low recoiling 9mm, but seems to out-perform the 9mm+P, 9mm+P+, .38
    Super, and in the eyes of many like myself..the .40 S&W.

instantaneous recoil that's concentrated AROUND the muzzle with quite a loud report, but virtually no
    recoil or muzzle rise with most loads.

However, there is still the muzzle flash factor.

That said,, The 147 gr. loads are real pussycats in .357 SIG.

They tend to be a bit slower, yet still have some bark and flash.

However..Most people will choose 115-125 grains of goodness for their carry load.

Again, I'm no expert, but most of you other common calibers as used by police and ccw
    holders..lack the 'pressure curve' that many experts talk about when discussing stopping
    power of this rapidly growing cartridge that many writers thought was dead as the .357
    Maximum, a few years ago!

One could surmise that the split- second recoil and loud report/flash is somehow being transfered to the
    target(s) i.e. dangerous felons.

That has resulted in such a dynamic stopping power record- that the cartridge has been piling
    up since its inception.

No firearm or cartridge/load is perfect.. but for some the .357 SIG is the Zenith in both recoil control of
    an adequate caliber..and dynamic stopping power.

The fact that the SIG is as bee-line accurate and flat-shooting as it is loud.

Is also a major factor for choosing this caliber that seems to be sweeping much farther than its long stalwart home of Texas, these days!
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

I think that any old hand on the Border Patrol can remember the Federal 9BPLE 9mm +P+ load.
    For a 9mm it was the best thing going at the time. I was using a 357 Mag (S&W 686) at the time and we were issued Remington 110 grain 357 loads for a couple of years. We were fortunate at that time because we did not have to carry the issue load, we could pick from a list. I always used the 145 grain STHP. I was unimpressed with the 110 grain 357 load, it seemed to us guys on the street that the +P+ 9mm load was better than the 110 grn 357 load. I saw people shot with both that were DRT.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Yes, unlike the +P+ Winchester and Remmy loads back then, the BPLE load was available to most of us without having to sign a dept. waiver for the newwavw
    police only hot ammo.

Once you carried the +P+ stuff- you felt sorry for the guys saddled with the 147 gr. loads that often failed to expand in the early days.

Federal's slower 9BP is still a good load when you can find it.

Ammo has came a long ways since then, but it was the +P and +P+ 9mm loads that started to get looked at by 9mm users,
    a paving the road for high performance self defensive ammo.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

Factory .357SIG ammo is expensive, but I carry Speer 125gr Gold Dots in my Glock 32. For practice, which I do a lot of, I use my own hand loads with MG's .357SIG bullets bought in bulk. Reloading .357SIG is no harder than any other caliber with the correct size bullet to prevent bullet setback. And loads can be tailored to match any factory load or to reduce recoil if desired.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy1199 View Post
    Factory .357SIG ammo is expensive, but I carry Speer 125gr Gold Dots in my Glock 32. For practice, which I do a lot of, I use my own hand loads with MG's .357SIG bullets bought in bulk. Reloading .357SIG is no harder than any other caliber with the correct size bullet to prevent bullet setback. And loads can be tailored to match any factory load or to reduce recoil if desired.
    What grain bullet do you reload with. Thanks in advance.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links