Best .357 sig ammo - Page 4

Best .357 sig ammo

This is a discussion on Best .357 sig ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like winchester white box fmj for my target ammo. I used to carry speer gold dot for my sd/CCW ammo and still would without ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Best .357 sig ammo

I like winchester white box fmj for my target ammo. I used to carry speer gold dot for my sd/CCW ammo and still would without any qualms. However I found that corbon's regular jhp shoot more accurate out of my Glock 32. Thier dpx albeit expensive.... Was even better and quite impressive. I had to shoot several more mags of each to make sure it wasn't a fluke....
    So now I carry corbon jhp and or dpx in my magazines most of the time....

Here are 4 targets shot using 4 different types of 357 sig ammo I had with me.

They were:
    1. Winchester White Box FMJ 125grn target ammo
    2. Corbon 125 gr JHP
    3. Speer Gold Dot 125 gr jhp
    4. Corbon DPX 125gr
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Rawah; September 9th, 2012 at 01:51 PM. Reason: added pics

Best 357 Sig Ammo

Your best bet is PPU. It's the cheapest ($24.99 for 50 round box at Cabelas) and the most powerful (at least based on the ads). According to the ads, it fires a 125 gr FMJ flat point at 1,542fps--that's 660 ft/lbs of energy. That's as powerful as most 357 magnum load from the major ammo makers (Winchester, Remington, Hornady, etc.). Sure, it is an FMJ and over-penetration would be an issue for personal defense, but it's the cheapest 357 Sig for shooting at paper, and probably the most effective 357 Sig round (at least on paper) available for protection against bears.

I don't want to rain on the DT parade, but, aside from Federal HST's, I like to carry the Underwood offerings: 125 gr Speer Gold Dot at 1475fps and $15 for a box of 20.

I've posted this before, but if you have a Glock 27, you can get a stock length Lone Wolf .357 Sig conversion barrel for a Glock 32 and get the same velocity as the 32 from the smaller size G27.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    Sometimes it isn't being fast that counts, or even accurate; but willing. Most men will draw a breath or blink an eye before they shoot. I won't.

John Bernard Books (John Wayne) "The Shootist"

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Suburbs of Columbus Ohio
    I have liked my Federal HST's and Gold dots for carry. For target, I tend to buy the WWB.
    Gen 3 Glock 33 .357sig
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010 (expired, no longer needed)

Not to rain on any more parades, but the guy asked the question 3.5 years ago. I would sure hope he has tried a few out between then and now...

Also, for the record, I think Underwood's 125gr Gold Dots are the best for defense myself. I've used the PPU's for target shooting, and I don't think that they're as accurate as some of the other FMJ's I've used, such as Precision ONe and Lawman.

Senior Moderator
    And he hasn't been back since May 2012.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links