Best .357 sig ammo

Best .357 sig ammo

This is a discussion on Best .357 sig ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What ammo is best for .357 sig that is affordable and decent for target shooting? It seems all ammo for this caliber is pretty outrageously ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Best .357 sig ammo

Best .357 sig ammo

What ammo is best for .357 sig that is affordable and decent for target shooting? It seems all ammo for this caliber is pretty outrageously priced. Is it worth the few extra cents a round for something a bit better or does it not really matter in a well maintained gun? Also best Carry ammo, Hornady and if so what type in particular.
    PFC (Prepared For Chaos) Live by it, or die when it happens. I'm ready, are you?
    "I have not yet begun to fight" - John Paul Jones 1747*1792- United States Naval Academy 1845-1995

I run Speer Gold Dot in my M&P. I shoot Lawman or WWB at the range. It is expensive, although my dealer gives me a pretty good deal on it. Quite a little cheaper to shoot a 9 or a 40, but I just had to have one. It's fun to shoot and I trust it for carry. Other than the cost of the ammo, what more can you ask? Some folks don't like it, but I surely do. Others have said that Hornady is good stuff and that they offer a 147 grain load. I think somebody else offers another heavy load, not sure.

The gold dot is available here but the other two i haven't seen. I've been running the Military balistics industry ammo for about .35 a round. Never had a squib or missfire with one yet. I also like it because about half or more of the last 1,000 rounds I bought were nickle plated. I believe that in the not too distant future the .357 sig will become more popular and more affordable as people realize that it is a very formidable style of round for performance and dependability. I can shoot targets farther out than my brothers .45 and his wifes .40. my father is a .38 man but with the short length of his barrel it doesn't go as far and feels like a cannon in comparison. the .357 sig is snappy but controlable.
    PFC (Prepared For Chaos) Live by it, or die when it happens. I'm ready, are you?
    "I have not yet begun to fight" - John Paul Jones 1747*1792- United States Naval Academy 1845-1995

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear.357 View Post
    What ammo is best for .357 sig that is affordable and decent for target shooting? It seems all ammo for this caliber is pretty outrageously priced. Is it worth the few extra cents a round for something a bit better or does it not really matter in a well maintained gun? Also best Carry ammo, Hornady and if so what type in particular.
    Bear here is a site I use for my Sig carry rounds: 357 SIG | SGAmmo.com

I'm carring the Ranger t-series normally, but gold dot is another.

However if money is an not object - Double Tap 147 gr.

DoubleTap Ammunition

The ranger and gold dot are LE proven, so I'd run with what the GGs use!
    Pistology and ks kid like this.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

I use American Eagle or Speer lawman for practice and Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot for carry.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    The big thing with most .357 SIG loads on the market is that they are loaded over 1,250-1,450 fps and good performers, no matter
    what brand or weight people buy it in.

Most LE agencies have stayed with the tried and true 125 gr. loading, particular to the Gold Dot bonded JHP.

Both SPEER and Double Tap (.357 SIG Bonded Defense) offer the 125 GD, with SPEER in two flavors.
    Cor-Bon and DT offer the 125 Sierra that has seen some action from the CCW crowd for good stopping power
    as well.

Both Hornady and Double Tap offer a 147 gr.

I've never shot any Hornady, but can say the 147 9mm from DT is very stout in my RAMI.

The 147 FMJ-MATCH 147 .357 SIG from DT is very sweet shooting.

Lower recoil than the other loads and superply accurate to boot!

Then there are the BARNES X bullets as loaded by Cor-Bon and DT among others.

The 115 gr TAC-XP from DT is very accurate. The same bullet is loaded by CB in their
    DPX line and there have been a few shootings that have showed the .357 SIG's prowess.

Double Tap's 80 grain TAC-X load is another one on the table.

All I can say.. is that interest in the cartridge builds each day and it is very deserving of a look by
    any serious handgunner.

I use DoubleTap for 357 mag & 357 sig.

Georgia Arms - .357 SIG is about the most affordable for target rounds... $20 more per 500 rds than 40.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Do you think 147 gr. has some merit for defensive use?

I seems to kick less than the 125s.

wow clarkston_cz I love your post. Great Info. keep up the good work. I have to tell my dealer to buy the variances in the ammo and test some for myself. Its hard to find people who actually know the .357 sig. thanks again

I carry Winchester ranger T or Gold dot. Cheap ammo I just reload for range ammo. Brass can be bought for dirt cheap.
    Don

I've been intrigued with the .357 SIG since the very first day I seen a box of ammo, and like reading/learning about it.

Having tried a bunch of .40s out there, including the much vaunted Glock 23.

I was hooked the day I shot my first round of .357 SIG out of the same sized Glock!

Here is some info:

If we are talking the 180 gr. Hardcast from DT.

It will be the next load from Mike on my list.

I've read where a Trooper killed a Black Bear with his issued .357 Glock 31.
    SPEER 125 gr. Gold Dot no doubt.

So this new DT load would be the one to take into the pine needles for the .357 SIG
    owner, over the 125 Match or 147 Flat Point that is.

More info.

DoubleTap Ammunition

Other pics of some .357 SIG.

A closer look for you DT customers thinking about buying
    more ammo, and for you .357 SIGGERS just wanting to look.

DT 125 gr. Bonded Defense-Gold Dot JHP.
    3.5" barrel - 1415fps
    4.5" barrel - 1525fps

Caliber : .357 Sig

Bullet : 125gr. Bonded Defense™ JHP

Ballistics : 1450fps / 584 ft. lbs. 4"bbl

NOSLER 115 gr. JHP
    3.5" barrel - 1494fps
    4.5" barrel - 1612fps

Bullet : 115gr. Nosler JHP

Ballistics : 1550fps / 614 ft. lbs. 4"bbl
    (Can someone say SCREAMER??)
    http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...SIG/dt-nos.jpg

DT 147 gr. JHP

3.5" barrel - 1213fps
    4.5" barrel - 1296fps

Bullet : 147gr. Winchester® JHP

Ballistics : 1250fps / 510 ft. lbs. 4"bbl

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...G/dt-147-1.jpg
    (the DT 147 gr. 9mm JHP is HOT in my RAMI)
    DT 125 gr. Full Metal Jacket-Match FP
    3.5" barrel - 1415fps
    4.5" barrel - 1525fps

Bullet : 125gr. FMJ=FP Match

Ballistics : 1450fps / 584 ft. lbs. 4"bbl

Box of 50rds.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...G/dtfull-2.jpg

Look here at all of my .357 SIG pics, and also at the new
    DT 10mm ammo as well:

DOUBLE TAP 357 SIG pictures by czrami - Photobucket

More info at Double Tap:
    DoubleTap Ammunition
    I hope you enjoyed this,

KEV

I use target .357 sig loads from either midway usa or cheaper than dirt, 18$-$20 for 50. I carry Speer Gold Dots but would like to try Double Tap.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Even though they are Advertised Velocities and your results may vary.

The 125 gr. loads from DT run over 100 fps faster than the two comparable SPEER .357 SIG loads.

Same for the street proven Cor-Bon 125 gr. Sierra JHP that's used by DT as well.

Whether a person needs a bullet at around 1,400 fps in unknown, but both the Gold Dot
    from Speer (as issued to most LE) and the Sierra.. seem to work well in shootings.

I like .357 Magnum, and love the 9mm.

Hate .40s. but like .45s.

Truly admire the 10mm ( shot one for 15 years), but seem to be infatuated by and with the .357 SIG!

I look at it as a Magnumized 9mm, but you can't get a 180 grain 9mm ( or .38 SUPER) load that I know of:)

I have some DT 125 gr JHP with the Sierra bullet, but are you certain the 125 gr "Bonded Defense" is using the Speer Gold Dot bullet?.... I thought I had heard they no longer did...?

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Thanks for the education on the .357 SIG, clarkston_cz.

I'm new to this caliber, and although I really bought it for range use, it does sit in the safe, too, for HD duty. It's good to have this info. from you. Thanks for sharing it!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links