hollow points

hollow points

This is a discussion on hollow points within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was talking to my buddy that really wants to get his ccl and he just bought a gun for himself and it came with ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hollow points

hollow points

I was talking to my buddy that really wants to get his ccl and he just bought a gun for himself and it came with a free box of ammo. He picked up some hollow points with his gun and keeps the mag full and locked up. He shld be going for his classes in about a week or so and asked me if hollow point were legal to carry with him when he gets his chl. I told him I do not know that I wld get back to him about that one. So here is the question, are hollow point legal or illegal to carry in a loaded gun in Ohio? Thanks

VIP Member

Exclamation

Go to your attorney general web page. All I know is do not have them in New Jersey

Depends on the laws in your state. Anyone with a license to carry a firearm should have the name of a good attorney, familiar with self-defense law, who he can contact in case he ever has to USE his gun. That attorney should be able to answer questions like this.

Find such an attorney now, and then ask him this question.

In the meantime, whoever teaches the class SHOULD be able to answer such a question.

I am in ohio and sure they are legal.
    there are no stipulations i know i=of in iohio law in regards to types of ammo.

in fact i don't know anybody here in ohio or anywhere that carries or would carry anything but hollow points.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by SOLOLUCKY View Post
    in fact i don't know anybody here in ohio or anywhere that carries or would carry anything but hollow points.
    ME ME ME ME ME! :)

ON OCCASION, I have a lil .25ACP, that serves BUG duty.... She's always loaded with FMJ.

Also, my 2nd/3rd mags, are generally FMJ 'just in case', in my primary carry.

My wife's speedloader, as well.... usually FMJ.... :)

However, the first mag / cylinder, is always Hydra-Shoks here.... (Yes, JHP is completely legal to carry in ohio BTW, back to the OP....)
    Where's the best place to apply for your Ohio CHL?
    Find out at http://ccwhen.com! (Now with Chat!)

Единственная реальная власть приходит из длинней винтовки.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I have never heard of any state where the carring of HP's in your CCW is illegal.

If their is one, please let me know so I can put their politicians in the same grouping as mullet. --------

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ View Post
    I have never heard of any state where the carring of HP's in your CCW is illegal.

If their is one, please let me know so I can put their politicians in the same grouping as mullet. --------
    New Jersey. Hollow point ammunition is prohibited to the puiblic at large. Unsure of how this effects LEO.

Why would you carry FMJ "just in case"? Everything I've heard(granted I'm new at this) says that JHP are innumerably better for self-defense...more stopping power with less over penetration.

Over penetration is a myth.

Seriously though, I carry ball ammo only. I'm aware that my shots could go through a target and hit something else, but that also falls under a good safety rule. I still prefer it because I know it will get where it's going. Shot placement is the key. That and I get to practice with what I carry.
    Last edited by SammyIamToday; August 28th, 2006 at 06:10 PM. Reason: grammar

I like the kryptionite ones....

Ex Member Array Ghost Who Walks's Avatar
    Unless New Jersey has recently change the law, hollow point ammunition is NOT illegal to possess, and is NOT banned for use by ordinary citizens.

NJ law prohibits the use of hollow point ammunition in the conduct of a criminal offense - nothing else. I lived in NJ for many years with a closet full of hollow points; and, there is nothing wrong with this.

It can get sticky if you're stopped, and hollow point ammunition is found in your vehicle, AND you're not going to, or coming from a shooting range. That is illegal.

Darn stupid law, if you ask me; but, of course, nobody did! If I were in NJ law enforcement I'd actually lobby for the repeal of this needlessly dangerous law. Just goes to show ya: The people in the NJ state house know absolutely nothing about guns and ammunition.

Personally, I don't use HP's in my carry piece. It's a 45 acp pistol; now, if it were a: 9mm, 40, or 357 SIG well, then, I would.

I am not trying to upset or anger anyone here. But, I do not understand the logic or lack there of, in carrying FMJ ammo today. With the advance in the reliability of auto loaders and the anvancements in ammo technology, why would anyone open themselves up to the possibility of a law suit by a bystander who gets hit by a through and through shot with FMJ?

In case no one has ever explained it to anyone out there, FMJ ammo is designed to pass through the body of the person being shot. It is a military ammo, and designed to pass through and thus incapacitate and not to kill the enemy soldier. I believe this falls under the Geneva Convention...if I am wrong on that please correct me.

But, the point is, you are carry ammo that is designed to cause a through and through wound with as little real damage to the body as possible. Besides making it much more likely to hit a bystander somewhere in the background, you may be surprised to see the BG not even know he was hit and continue to try to kill you. And he might just succeed before he bleeds out.

The possible exception to that is the .45 ACP round but only because of its size and slower speed compared to other calibers.

I have never had a JHP round fail to feed because of the hollow point. Because of a magazine problem, yes. Because of a gun that needed to be cleaned, yes. But never because it was a hollow point. And I have had those same failures with FMJ ammo as well. The only full metal jacket ammo I would consider carrying is the Expanding Full Metal Jacket ammo made by Federal. Other than that, I would not carry anything but hollow point ammo in my carry guns.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by PT-111 View Post
    I believe this falls under the Geneva Convention...if I am wrong on that please correct me.
    Actually, this is a common misconception. It was in fact the Hague Convention of 1899.

I carry FMJ in my .32 and .380's. I'm not convinced HP would expand at the low velocity or have enough penetration.

YES hollow points are legal to carry in Ohio.
    If you have a (CCI) CCW.
    Geo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links