Are prices going up or is it greed generated hype. My findings.

This is a discussion on Are prices going up or is it greed generated hype. My findings. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After reading some of the posts about "you'd better get your guns and ammo now" I decided to head out this weekend and find out ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Are prices going up or is it greed generated hype. My findings.

After reading some of the posts about "you'd better get your guns and ammo now" I decided to head out this weekend and find out for myself if this is true or not. Here is what I found.

Let me say first that I live in south east Florida and visited several local gun shops in my area so my findings are from a very small group. But non-the-less, what I found was interesting.

The half a dozen small private shops all had a common theme. Get it now! Prices are only going higher!!! FACT: Obama is going to take your guns. The salesman recited the story just like it was written in the article put out by the NRA. I priced a small sampling of guns, especially a shotgun my son wanted for home protection. Either a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 930 or a Bennelli pump. I priced AR-15s for a small sample of prices. I also got ammo prices for .223, .40cal and 12 gauge. One store owner told me they were running very low on ammo. You know...supply and demand and the prices are understandably higher as if there would soon be NONE left. YIKES!

I got my pricing and then went out to Dick's Sporting goods. Much to my surprise they had all the shotguns we had priced earlier. Yes, the exact makes and models. The prices on these shotguns were ALL $100 to $150 LESS at Dicks. Wow, big difference! The private shops didn't have an AR for anything much less than $900. One store had none under $1000. Again Dicks had name brand AR's for well under the prices quoted.

On to ammo... Dick's had plenty of whatever we wanted. Higher prices? Nope. I bought a box of 250 rounds of .40 cal full metal jacket Remington umc on sale for $89. I didn't think they would run sales and drop prices when the demand was so high. Humm. They also had plenty of what ever else I wanted at much lower prices than any of the small stores quoted me. MUCH less!

12 gauge ammo at Dick's? Not a problem. Tons of it. The shelves were stacked high with great prices good selection and lots of it. No shortage there.

I'm saddened to see how dishonest the smaller shops were. I always try to support the smaller store vs large ones but they aren't even close on price. Shame on them and I feel sorry for the suckers that get caught in their web of lies and pay these ridiculousness prices I saw this weekend. But as the saying goes...buyer beware.

I'm sure there ARE smaller shops that are honest and offer good prices and service in other parts of the country. Just haven't found one in this area.

BTW... Gander Mountain is another one who offers a low price-match guarantee and great selection. Friendly service without the attitude.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

The prices went up a $1 a box at our WalMart in W. Central Florida.
    USN Retired

I can understand the smaller shops having some trouble keeping a full stock "if" the shortage is real. Dick's probably has a warehouse full of ammo somewhere and buys in super bulk just like Wal-Mart so there prices shouldn't be affected as quickly or as much. But I also can see them taking advantage of the Obama fear, again.

Senior Moderator
    Everybody knows its just "hype". Whether it is greed or fear remains to be determined.

That dosent make any thing cheaper though.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ctrcs View Post
    The prices went up a $1 a box at our WalMart in W. Central Florida.
    Same at my local WalMart with some of the ammo, but not all of it. You could still see the old price sticker on the shelf under the new one. It seemed like all of the rifle ammo was up, the Winchester White Box 9mm 100 round packs were $1 higher, but the Federal 9mm 100 round packs were the old price.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    ammo and price's have gone up, but some place's will try to take advantage of anyone, buyer beware, make sure you shop around...IMHO I usually like the small shops but sounds like the ones in your area are taking advantage of you...
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

I have noticed similar threads and went to several shops in my part of the state. What really struck me is how bare the pistol and rifle shelves are. Grady's in Anderson, SC is usually a well stocked shop had about 30% (or less) of their typical stock of pistols. They said they have ordered but the manufacturers cannot keep up with demand.

I know that the federal bulk box 550 22 lr at walmart increased from 15.47 box to 19.99 box...Around a 30% friggin increase.Now it costs almost as much for me to fire a round of 22 LR as it does for a round of 9/40/45 centerfire pistol I reload.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

It's called Capitalism...they have the right to charge as they want, and the consumers can choose to buy there or elsewhere.
    Like any other product...price is controlled by demand...don't buy where it's high.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    The last time I took the advice of the guy behind the gun counter was immediately after I got my concealed handgun license. He told me about the concealment holster all the fellas were buying. Not the worst POS holster I have ever bought, but a close second.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

The larger chain outlets buy in quanity and can sell for less.

The smaller privately owned shops are struggling right now because of the economy.

I have found that if you have cash in hand and know the prices of what you are looking for you can usually get the price down at the local shops.

Times are tough and the little guy feels the pinch the most. They are going to try and get as much as they can for what they have. In some cases it may be their last chance.

Regards,

FlaRon
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

It's a self generating hype.

Folks are all scared that there will be a second term, and think they'd better buy stuff while they can. This makes things scarce. Scarcity drives up prices. This generates more worry, which makes people buy stuff at the inflated prices...which makes things more scarce...which drives up the prices even more...which makes people even more worried...which...

Ad infinitum.

So, basically, as Pogo would say: "We have met the enemy, and it is us".
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    It's a self generating hype.

Folks are all scared that there will be a second term, and think they'd better buy stuff while they can. This makes things scarce. Scarcity drives up prices. This generates more worry, which makes people buy stuff at the inflated prices...which makes things more scarce...which drives up the prices even more...which makes people even more worried...which...

Ad infinitum.

So, basically, as Pogo would say: "We have met the enemy, and it is us".
    Yup. Another replay of the ammo shortage that we had 4 years ago. And the more we attempt to stock up now, the worse the problem becomes.

I've already stored away my nuts, so I think I'll just sit this one out.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    I never buy from gun stores. I bought my AR brand new from a pawn shop that was a DPMS dealer. My LGS had the exact same rifle for $300 more. If I want something more "exotic" than Academy sells I'll go to a gun show or Gun Broker.

Prices are usually better at Academy and MC Sports, but my "gun guy" is much more knowledgeable, and he usually prices down to earn my business.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links