Bonded or non bonded

Bonded or non bonded

This is a discussion on Bonded or non bonded within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am considering getting 180gr Federal HST LE .40cal , I was wondering if this non bonded bullet would be sufficient for barriers (ie a ...

Thread: Bonded or non bonded

Bonded or non bonded

I am considering getting 180gr Federal HST LE .40cal , I was wondering if this non bonded bullet would be sufficient for barriers (ie a car windshield) or would it take a bonded bullet.

sent from my EVO , with Tapatalk

Only suggestion is test it if you can, I would go with a bonded if possible. Just off of weight retention, I think that bonded would do better.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Bonded. Through a barrier, a non bonded bullet is going to separate.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    You need to be aware of bonded bullets because of over-penetration. This is why LEO use bonded bullets. The enhanced penetration is good for shooting through windshields and such, but for shooting BGs you better be aware of what is behind him. Bonded bullets have less expansion and therefore more penetration so instead of one hole in a BG, you may get two which is what you may not want. Just saying.

interesting ammo observations from a drive-by

This thread (which is currently active and fairly new) is a great example of non-bonded ammunition being inadequate through barriers, etc. It was even FMJ ammunition, in .40S&W, which to me it seems would penetrate better than a regular hollow point. Bonded is the way to go for defensive ammo. I carry 9mm 147gr bonded JHP, FWIW.

Links