reloaded ammo for carry gun

This is a discussion on reloaded ammo for carry gun within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As you can see I'm new to the Defensive Carry forums but not new to concealed carry, having been licensed for 40+ years. I've always ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: reloaded ammo for carry gun

reloaded ammo for carry gun

As you can see I'm new to the Defensive Carry forums but not new to concealed carry, having been licensed for 40+ years. I've always held to the fact never ever use or trust reloaded ammo in a gun you'd depend your life on. I haven't done a search on the subject but I'm thinking some people might. Looking for your comments on this, just interested in different methods of thought is all.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Not a prayer. More of a liability concern for me. Last thing I need is some wingnut DA who knows nothing of firearms trying to convince a jury that I built my own ammo to ensure a grisly death. I carry factory fodder.
    Zepoll, Crowbait and CarryASig like this.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Not a prayer. More of a liability concern for me. Last thing I need is some wingnut DA who knows nothing of firearms trying to convince a jury that I built my own ammo to ensure a grisly death. I carry factory fodder.
    My Dad advised me of the same thing when I got my carry license. Don't a knowledgeable or unknowledgable DA convincing a jury that you "altered" or "fabricate" your ammo to be more lethal than factory.

Shows intent to kill. Or something like that.... I'd prefer to carry something that says "self defense" on the box, or better yet, find out what your local PD carries and use what they carry.
    ...because you never know when the king of England might come looking for back taxes.

- Richard L. Johnson

Great points... thanks for the insight...

I know this subject varies by personal beliefs and I am not wanting to start any big debate. For me... I prefer to have the 13+1 or 19+1 mag available and unload those in a perp in a defensive move to protect my own life and family rather than rely on "Self Defense" ammo. Anyone still bent on getting me or my family after that... well... I highly doubt that scenario would occur...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Zepoll View Post
    My Dad advised me of the same thing when I got my carry license. Don't a knowledgeable or unknowledgable DA convincing a jury that you "altered" or "fabricate" your ammo to be more lethal than factory.

Shows intent to kill. Or something like that.... I'd prefer to carry something that says "self defense" on the box, or better yet, find out what your local PD carries and use what they carry.
    Uh, I think pulling the trigger might show more of an intent to kill. Very few states have legal restrictions on defense ammo (NJ for instance); it's the use of a firearm that is defined as deadly force--not the use of a firearm loaded with (fill in the ammo of your choice).

Any defense lawyer with an ounce of legal brains should easily counter any ammo choice arguments.
    Exsimguy1 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Speer gold dots and lawman are pretty similar in felt recoil. It's what my PD carries and you can save some money by practicing with fmj's.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

VIP Member
    There are many threads on this already. I also reload and I feel my "custom made" ammo is top notch and I would not have a problem with it. However I use the Hornady Critical defense ammo in all of may carry guns. Just in case I have to use it. It will be bad enough if I have to shoot some BG, I don't need to go under the microscope and have some gun ho DA looking for some PR all over me. I also do not have any trigger jobs or any other modifications done to my carry guns. same reason.
    claude clay likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Uh, I think pulling the trigger might show more of an intent to kill. Very few states have legal restrictions on defense ammo (NJ for instance); it's the use of a firearm that is defined as deadly force--not the use of a firearm loaded with (fill in the ammo of your choice).

Any defense lawyer with an ounce of legal brains should easily counter any ammo choice arguments.
    I'm not arguing that my answer is the "definitive correct" answer. My own PERSONAL OPINION is that factory self defense ammo, such as Spear Gold Dots, or Hornady Critical Defense ammo, work just fine. My state police uses factory made ammo and if it's good enough for them then it's good enough for me. Just like Mr. BuckWheat states... I don't want to give ANY ammunition (no pun intended) to the DA to raise any doubt in the jury's mind if I end up going to court of my shooting. Factory guns, and factory ammo and ammo that is designed to be used for personal self defense and that is used by my states police is what I carry.

Yes, logically any attorney worth his salt should be able to counter that argument. But juries don't always way logic for logic. You can't honestly believe that the most logical decision is what juries ALWAYS decide.

To add more fuel to the fire.. . I'm also do not carry a backup magazine in my regular day to day carry. Because it is my PERSONAL OPINION that I can't imagine a civilian personal defense situation where I empty a full magazine into a guy, then reload, and fire again where I don't end up going to jail. I think, "There was nothing else I could do", is a tough sell if you just emptied two double stack magazines into a guy. Add personally made hot loads to that and the situation gets stickier. It's easy for us, all Pro-2A people, to see no problem at all in carrying reloads, but your jury is not going to be all Pro-2A people, and if the DA has their way... then they'd likely fill it with as many Anti's as possible who are likely ready to burn you as it is.

Just my .02
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    ...because you never know when the king of England might come looking for back taxes.

- Richard L. Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Zepoll View Post

To add more fuel to the fire.. . I'm also do not carry a backup magazine in my regular day to day carry. Because it is my PERSONAL OPINION that I can't imagine a civilian personal defense situation where I empty a full magazine into a guy, then reload, and fire again where I don't end up going to jail. I think, "There was nothing else I could do", is a tough sell if you just emptied two double stack magazines into a guy. Add personally made hot loads to that and the situation gets stickier. It's easy for us, all Pro-2A people, to see no problem at all in carrying reloads, but your jury is not going to be all Pro-2A people, and if the DA has their way... then they'd likely fill it with as many Anti's as possible who are likely ready to burn you as it is.

Just my .02
    A lot of us carry extra mags as extra insurance in case our gun has a malfunction...
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I'm not reloading my own ammo but use alot of it... (from friends) I always carry store bought and have been on forums where they try to hang someone for changing triggers on guns etc...I would think twice about it just my .02
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Mas Ayoob wrote about this some years ago. Since his article, it has morphed into one of the most misunderstood and debated topics, having veered way off from the actual content of the article. Without going into the article, the answer is no, it doesnt matter, as long as your ammo is well made, you have confidence in it, and the shooting is justified. The onr particular incident in the article was a suicide, by a woman using underpowered reloads her husband made so she could handle the recoil. She committed suicide with the gun, and because of the low powder volume, actual distance of the shot left so little residue as to determine actual distance of the guns muzzle from her body, which casts a suspicious light on the husband.

It had absolutely nothing to do with a self defense shooting. What sounds more vicious; a lead semi wadcutter over 5.4 grns of Unique powder handloaded, or Black Talon, Golden Saber, Hydra Shock, or Extreme Terminal Performance?
    Elk Hunter likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I'll use reloads. My handloading process and the quality control exercised at the reloading bench is easily superior to factory automated equipment and quality checks. I do use factory ammunition in my handguns carried for self defense but I also use handloaded ammunition and actually place more trust in the ammunition I crafted.

I'm unconcerned with legal concerns as I'm convinced they really don't exist except in the minds of some forum posters. It's fun to pontificate about how the "sky is falling" on forums and dither over "what ifs" but it has no real bearing in a righteous shooting.

I'm at my bench this evening conducting an exercise in developing a "defensive" handload for the ancient .38 S&W that yields more performance than the anemic 145 grain round nose lead factory load provides. It's mostly of academic interest as I have plenty of modern handguns for concealed carry duty. It's not totally an academic exercise though. I do have a dandy little Colt Banker's Special snub that chambers the round and it fits neatly in a De Santis Nemesis pocket holster. I'm continuing with studying the .38 S&W's ability to handle 158 grain lead semi-wadcutter ammunition at enhanced velocities. I'm also working with a 200 grain bullet, kindly provided me by a fellow forum member here, finding the best powder to yield the highest velocities at normal pressures in order to provide a good heavy-bullet load for the .38 S&W. I'll freely admit that I'm attempting to make the cartridge more effective.

The small Colt snub revolver offers six shots and may be easily focused on delivering those shots double-action effectively and rapidly at normal self-defense ranges. The .38 S&W cartridge may be handloaded with heavier bullets with superior shapes than the .380 ACP. It has potential to be more effective than any .380 ACP loading available. I'd rather carry the Colt Banker's Special stoked with handloads than any .380 pistol. Hence the fun effort.
    glockman10mm and gasmitty like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I use reloads in my carry guns. Cast 230 gr RN in my 45 acp and 245 gr SWC in my 44 spcl. I consider them to be very good close range loads.

Michael

I am in the process of evaluating my reloads, to determine if my loads are reliable enough to trust for carry. I have never had a problem with a rifle reload, but am new to pistol loads. The major advantage I see in carrying reloads is that I can practice with exactly what I carry, without breaking the bank in the process. It also would me to have a single supply of ammunition; if I have a loaded magazine, I know that it's loaded with BG-stoppers, not practice rounds.

I have been reloading my handgun ammo since 95 and have never had a failure. I only use store bought SD ammo in my EDC.

Yours In Liberty
    Bob, NRA Life
    Sent from my iGlock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links