Does caliber size really matter? - Page 2

Does caliber size really matter?

This is a discussion on Does caliber size really matter? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Extra bullet weight lurks within calibers of larger size....

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Does caliber size really matter?

Extra bullet weight lurks within calibers of larger size.
    10thmtn likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Shot placement and caliber are both very important. I will not carry anything smaller than 9mm+p or 38+p.
    I prefer 357 and 40.

If you feel safe carrying a smaller caliber that is your choice. I will stick with what I feel comfortable with as my calibers.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

my 57 would do the job on anyone
    JEAM likes this.

If you can hit your target with a larger caliber, do so!
    Erick46590 likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

If caliber didn't matter, everyone would carry .22's or pellet guns.

Of course, none of the "caliber doesn't matter" folks ever have any empirical evidence. They do, however, have insane skills under stress with dropping mousegun rounds into eye-sockets, throats, and cardiac triangles.

It will to the soon to be, dead offender!

I'm not that particular, I'll use any caliber that starts with a "4", and ends with a "5".
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

“Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    I really like how that guy explained it. I too believe that the biggest thing with who drops and who stays up is just the overall strength of your target. One who has the right mindset and will to live and fight back is going to be a much harder person to drop than someone who is scared.
    Matthew 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." ✞

Not trying to stir things up. Cause I do shoot my ccw often last week I went 2 times to the range this week only once. My point is that if a 9mm does the same thing as a 45 when your gun is stuck in the guys chest. I could get a 9mm and saved my self $60 for the last 2 weeks.
    Last edited by AustinS; March 11th, 2012 at 07:46 PM.

VIP Member
    I think the ablity to be able to use your weapon and the carry system you use may me more important. If you can't draw your weapon in time the size of the bullets won't matter.

Ex Member
    I carry a wheelie because I like things to go bang when I need it , 100% of the time. I also load wadcutters because from close range, in a snubbie, you won't get expansion anyway. PLUS with the cost of wadcutters I can shoot a lot longer than the 'hot new wiz bang ammo of the day.' Each to his own.
    DanielC likes this.

Get a keltec pistol pmr30 that shoots 22mag. 31 shots with one in the barrel and carry an extra mag for 61 shots on hand. Shoot fast and accurate until the threat stops.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinS View Post
    Not trying to stir things up. Cause I do shot my ccw often last week I went 2 times this week only once. My point is that if a 9mm does the same thing as a 45 when your gun is stuck in the guys chest. I could get a 9mm and saved my self the $60 for the last 2 weeks.
    Both rounds are recognized as effective.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    No popcorn for me, but I believe I will have a beer, thanks.

^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^

I'm sippin' on some George Dickel on the rocks at the moment, a switch from the J Beam.
    But I will throw out there this, , , , , ,

Go find any woman with experience and ask her if size matters.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Erick46590 View Post
    I really like how that guy explained it. I too believe that the biggest thing with who drops and who stays up is just the overall strength of your target. One who has the right mindset and will to live and fight back is going to be a much harder person to drop than someone who is scared.
    Learn to recognize that face and voice. He is Masaad Ayoob and has much knowledge about firearms. I value his opinions greatly.
    mano3, 10thmtn, 1hogfan83 and 2 others like this.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links