Does caliber size really matter?

This is a discussion on Does caliber size really matter? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A 22would be fine, but the bullet is unreliable (duds). Everything above that is fine, and it's shot placement. You have to start with 'What ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Does caliber size really matter?

A 22would be fine, but the bullet is unreliable (duds). Everything above that is fine, and it's shot placement.

You have to start with 'What will you carry constantly'. Naturally the bigger the better. But, situational awareness, gun familarity, gun dependability, are really the key. A 32 in your pocket beats a 45 in your house.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by theskunk View Post
    A 22would be fine, but the bullet is unreliable (duds). Everything above that is fine, and it's shot placement.

You have to start with 'What will you carry constantly'. Naturally the bigger the better. But, situational awareness, gun familarity, gun dependability, are really the key. A 32 in your pocket beats a 45 in your house.
    and a 45 on your hip beats a 32 in your pocket... but the real questions is whether two 16's beat a 32 or is it a push?
    zonker1986 likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

The most important thing is to carry what you can hit with.
    As for size, I have to believe that a large wound cavity does more damage. A smaller caliber depends on its ability to expand, a large caliber is already large.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Diameter matters
    Energy matters
    Bullet design matters
    Confidence matters
    Speed of follow up shots matters
    Accuracy really matters
    It would be illogical to think that caliber doesn't matter, but it's not the only factor (A 230 grain 45 acp going 10 fps wouldn't impress).
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    "nothing is everything and everthing is something"
    seldom is one aspect of an event responsible for everything yet even the little things have a say in the final determination

words i have been saying for 20 years in the class room

it would be that those who have a background in this arena
    come to similiar conclusions
    Bark'n likes this.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Sponsor
    Bigger is always better...

Until it comes time to qualify the troops, then it isn't as important as hitting, because they only count the holes.
    HotGuns likes this.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Does caliber size really matter?

Ronnie Barrett seems to think that it does. Check out the Nutnfancy interview with Ronnie Barrett. Barrett says that if he were a cop out in the field by himself, he'd really want the 6.8. He said when it comes to plinking, he liked the 5.56 but when it comes to real stopping power, he likes the 6.8.

*Disclaimer* In no way am I claiming these are verbatim statements. I encourage you to watch the video for yourself and see what he has to say about the 6.8, etc. Its in the earlier part of the video, so you don't have to watch the whole thing if you don't want to, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    Learn to recognize that face and voice. He is Masaad Ayoob and has much knowledge about firearms. I value his opinions greatly.
    Beware that he says one thing when getting paid to and another thing when he isn't. Take his words with a grain of salt. That being said, his statements in the video I agree with.
    Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    Ronnie Barrett seems to think that it does. Check out the Nutnfancy interview with Ronnie Barrett. Barrett says that if he were a cop out in the field by himself, he'd really want the 6.8. He said when it comes to plinking, he liked the 5.56 but when it comes to real stopping power, he likes the 6.8.
    Well of course he's going to like and promote what his company sells!
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    What does one consider good shot placement?

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    Center of visible mass.

Sent using Tapatalk on Android

Like Masaad Ayoob said in the video - carry what you can comfortably shoot and hit multiple targets with.

That's why my wife carries the .38 revolver and I carry the .45 auto.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Only to the one ,,,,, you have to shoot.

I believe I've made my feelings well known on this in the past. But I'll re-iterate them for the new poster.

Most of my life I've carried a 9mm. However, at times for various reasons, I have been known to carry a .22, a .32, and a .380. Right now I am carrying a .32. I believe the most important consideration is reliability. I'd much rather have a .22 that could fire hundreds of rounds without a single jam than a .45 that jams every 20 rounds. Accuracy is another issue. If you are trying to shoot a BG from across a room, a little mousegun is going to be hard pressed to do the job. So I'll place reliability and accuracy above caliber any day of the week. I also take into consideration the size of a gun. While I'm not a huge fan of mouseguns, I do like compact and sub-compact guns. They are light and easy to conceal. Many people who only own guns of larger calibers wind up leaving their guns at home sometimes because of comfort. I'd much rather have the option to be armed all of the time, even if it means a smaller caliber.

There are some people on this forum who have continually argued that a .22 cannot penetrate a human skull. I'm not sure what drugs they are smoking, though, since I have cited numerous examples of deaths caused from headshots from .22 rounds. Some recent well known examples are the shooter at Virginia Tech, and the Ohio school shooting a few weeks ago. Just FYI - the boy went into the cafeteria with a .22 pistol and had only 10 rounds on him. With 10 rounds he was able to injure 5 people and 3 of those died shortly after. We can assume the other 5 shots were misses.

So my opinion is... Be armed with something. Make sure that something is reliable and accurate and that you are comfortable with it.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    draw 2 triangles...one from the bellybutton with the base level with the crotch; the other
    starting at the bellybutton again and going to each shoulder.

lay an anatomical drawing over the triangles and look at what is contained there.

any 2 shots in those areas is going to be detrimental to the recipient
    but if your looking for the DRT shot--get a blunderbuss and all you need is the BG's zip code.
    DRM likes this.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I came late to the party...

if placement was perfect, I'd prefer the larger caliber always. problem is, under stress you're gonna miss anything past 5 feet, and with .45 you'll run out of ammo alot quicker then a magazine of 9mm.

and honestly, once a bullet hits the heart, it's game over within a minute regardless. and if you're shooting past barricades and stuff... you're not doing defensive CCW shooting, and might want to rethink your strategy. lol

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links