Does caliber size really matter? - Page 4

Does caliber size really matter?

This is a discussion on Does caliber size really matter? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; [QUOTE=taseal;2198945]I came late to the party... if placement was perfect, I'd prefer the larger caliber always. problem is, under stress you're gonna miss anything past ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Does caliber size really matter?

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    [QUOTE=taseal;2198945]I came late to the party...

if placement was perfect, I'd prefer the larger caliber always. problem is, under stress you're gonna miss anything past 5 feet, and with .45 you'll run out of ammo alot quicker then a magazine of 9mm.

if that is your honest belief in your abilities---please remember that you should "know your target and whats beyond it".
    so, are you safe to shoot at 5 feet? can you keep track of whats beyound your target, and how much do you miss by?

most studies report that 89% of rounds fired by CCW holders are on target.
    its like none of us want to fire the gun in anger but--please do not drag down the average is you do
    mano3 likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Rule #9. Look it up...
    marcclarke likes this.

Then there's the Elmer Keith school of though regarding things needing shooting.

"...if you're fixin' to put a hole in somethin', make it a hole to remember."

Two Colt revolvers of the same era; one taking a fairly zippy, for its day, little .32 caliber number (.32 Long Colt) and one taking the gloriously large and heavy-slugged .45 Colt. The .22 Long Rifle cartridge is for comparison purposes.

If a fellow knew he was about to be shut in a room with a large and strong adversary swinging a sharp axe, which would he chose and would caliber size matter at that moment.

Of course the flip side to this is hiding all that ordnance for proper concealed carry.
    Guest1 likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

It's what I use in the Gun Fighting Classes I have taken in the last 2 years and am taking a "Refresher Course" in 2 weeks. It's a set of Twin G-19's that hold 15+1. I am shooting all "Social Ammo" at the course that will include Winchester Ranger T's +P+ 127Gr and Remington Golden Sabers Bonded. I will shoot more than 400 rounds in one day with my G-19 (and it's back-up Twin) and both will be dirty at start of the course. My 'Hotel Rounds" are two "Happy Sticks" loaded with Cor-Bon DPX. And yes there is a Gun Mounted Light under the G-19. I will cover any issue with a light and the gun that goes with it. The latest info on Killing Rounds (go surf that Google is your friend) are 9MM FMJ and not the "High Priced Spread" that is sold on the street. It seems there are more shootings in the "Hood" than anywhere else in the "Burbs".
    Bark'n likes this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Quote Originally Posted by ldmtulsa View Post
    i cannot give you a technical answer, but set one of you .45 rounds next to say - a 9mm round. Which one would you rather be shot with.
    I think your g36 is a very good choice.
    neather!!!!!!!
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Are they What!!!?,How are the Mod's going to infraction Mas?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post

[QUOTE=claude clay;2198964]
    Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post

most studies report that 89% of rounds fired by CCW holders are on target.
    Cite? I remember an FBI study that showed something like a 35% hit ratio for LE shootings. I wouldn't doubt, however, that many CCWers are much more proficient with their weapons than their own LE are.

I think those statistics are screwed. There seems to be alot of misinformation going around. I'm sure everyone would like to think their skills with a gun are better than the average lawman. But the truth is that the average citizen is just a gun hobbyist, with an over active imagination about " the bad guys " attacking him, or the scenario of shootouts that will never happen.

For the lawman, the gun is a tool of the trade. Sure, there are some of those among us that may not be into the guns as much as others, but these stupid statics some like to quote as gospel do not take into account bullets flying both ways, shooting and moving, and heart rate from running after someone with 20 pounds of gear on and a hot ballistic vest.
    WHEC724 and mano3 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Gents from 0-6 feet is considered the hole. Within this distance the BG does not have to be certified in anything or even be a good fighter he has to get lucky is all.

Whatever firearm you have you will have to make due. This is the time that statistics, magazine articles or the latest tactic from whatever school will not make any difference. At this range you shoot and keep shooting until the BG stops doing whatever act he is commiting that made you shoot him in the first place, shoot him to the ground with whatever you have be it a mousegun or a magnum.

It is your will to survive not your equipment that will prevail.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Well my main thought is to by a g26 and use it for my edc. I carried a g26 for 2 years so I'm comfortable with it just got caught in the hype of bigger is better and a .45 is for a experienced shooter. I have no problems with any calipers I shoot often and use various calibers. 6+1 45 and always carry at least one extra mag or go 10+1 with extra mag. From what I understand most shootings are close range with avg of 2 shots. But I'm leaning more towards the g26 cause cheaper ammo and my edc is always getting more rounds then any other I shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    Are they What!!!?,How are the Mod's going to infraction Mas?
    lol yeah it would be like telling Chuck Norris to "sit down and shut up!"

ETA: would the admins like to have this YouTube (DefensiveCarry) username account?... PM me with any offer$ lol

Clip#2 Shoot to live.wmv - YouTube

While I agree that all things being equal, bigger holes are better, IMHO, in deciding on caliber, you need to keep two numbers in mind, the difference in the sizes of the holes made by the two calibers you are comparing and the available capacity in a gun of the size you are considering. For me, the difference between the expanded size of a 9mm vs. a 45 (my two favorite calibers) is not very significant, but the capacity difference are usually very significant). I am also aware of studies that found that in NY and LA police report only about a 30% accuracy rate in gunfights. I thought about it and decided that my chances of missing and needing more rounds was greater than the chance that a larger round with a higher rate of lethality would make for a greater advantage. For this reason, in larger guns, I prefer the 9mm over 45 because of the capacity advantage of the 9mm. In my usual EDC, the Kahr PM, I chose the PM9 over the PM45 or PM40 because in a gun that small and light, I shoot the 9 mm better even though I only get one additional round advantage over the other two.

Im about to spell a lot of things wrong so heads up. I think a classic example of stopping power would be when the U.S. went to the phippenes (sp) with their .38 colts. The tribal indians were hopped on native drugs so the .38 colt was basically ineffective. So another case in point. An intruder has the element of suprise, most likely has drugs in his system, and will likely be armed. Two very wise comments to remember, one stated above, a 9mm MIGHT expaned but .45 wont shrink. They dont call it a flying ashtray for nothing. To paraphrase Clint Smith, if someone breaks into my house, they will have to beat me to death with my gun because it will be empty. One case for the 9mm/.380 calibers, shoot what you can handle. With enough practice, you can eventually move up to a .45 but it should be a larger, heavier gun. Hopefully not a glock, I dont trust them, mine broke. I have never done drugs, only pain killers after surgery but I didnt feel much pain. I fully believe that if you shot someone with a .380 or something smaller who is on meth looking for MONEY to buy MORE METH, it would only make them more MAD. Just my own honest thoughts, A LOT of METH HEADS AROUND HERE!

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Would you rather be hit by a baseball traveling 200mph or a golf ball traveling 250?
    My answer is neither...but I believe it boils down to where they strike you.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by AustinS View Post
    Well my main thought is to by a g26 and use it for my edc. I carried a g26 for 2 years so I'm comfortable with it just got caught in the hype of bigger is better and a .45 is for a experienced shooter. I have no problems with any calipers I shoot often and use various calibers. 6+1 45 and always carry at least one extra mag or go 10+1 with extra mag. From what I understand most shootings are close range with avg of 2 shots. But I'm leaning more towards the g26 cause cheaper ammo and my edc is always getting more rounds then any other I shoot.
    Twenty or so years ago, caliber was a bigger factor. With todays modern projectiles, you can more or less choose whichever caliber YOU are most comfortable shooting. Quit the "bigger is better" mentality. And before I get flamed, yes, a .50 will kill, but it won't make a BG any more dead than a well placed 9mm round. FWIW, I carry a 26 and a 19 and I consider myself a good shot. It may be my military training as well... ;-)

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links