Does caliber size really matter?

This is a discussion on Does caliber size really matter? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not to me, but I prefer to have as many rounds as I can get into a gun so I go 9mm....

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Does caliber size really matter?

Does caliber size really matter?

Not to me, but I prefer to have as many rounds as I can get into a gun so I go 9mm.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    "9. We have learned from bitter experience that discussions of certain subjects (politics, religion, abortion, sexual orientation, etc) often degenerate quickly. For this reason, we DO NOT allow the discussion of these topics.
    We also discourage "caliber war" threads and strongly encourage you not to post a thread starting one. Regardless of your level of experience, caliber is a personal preference and what is right for you may not be right for others."
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I've always heard that size matters...

Quote Originally Posted by Jetpilot1 View Post
    Rule Nine. Pls read.
    Oh, now I get it. We have a new "moderator" who is sensitive and feels the need to call us down. We are not allowed to debate bullet diameter, even in general terms. This thread has aired a number of valid points to consider from different points of view, has remained convivial and hasn't even degenerated into another boring "9mm versus .45 ACP" caliber war yet we're instructed to read Rule Nine because someone is uncomfortable with the thread.

The real moderators are certainly free to delete this post and toss me off here as well but consider this: If we're all just getting on here to engage in mutual back-slapping, sweetly sing "Kumbaya," and declare that "it's all good" then this is really not a forum by definition. A forum offers information, ideas, and debate to challenge the mind of the members who participate at their own volition.

Or not, if it's intended to be mundane and unremarkable.

Personal attacks on individual members are uncalled for. I realize I've just made an oblique attack on a new member and for that I am sorry. But come on guys. Don't voluntarily associate yourself with a forum and then after joining wear your heart on your sleeve, looking for perceived "politically incorrect" content. Grow a little bit of a thick skin and jump into the threads, sharing your own ideas rather than whining, policing, or tattling.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

All we request is no hitting below the belt, and no intentional attempt to snipe others if you don't agree with their opinions.

Carry On! Drive Safely! ...and have a nice day.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Oh, now I get it. We have a new "moderator" who is sensitive and feels the need to call us down. We are not allowed to debate bullet diameter, even in general terms. This thread has aired a number of valid points to consider from different points of view, has remained convivial and hasn't even degenerated into another boring "9mm versus .45 ACP" caliber war yet we're instructed to read Rule Nine because someone is uncomfortable with the thread.

The real moderators are certainly free to delete this post and toss me off here as well but consider this: If we're all just getting on here to engage in mutual back-slapping, sweetly sing "Kumbaya," and declare that "it's all good" then this is really not a forum by definition. A forum offers information, ideas, and debate to challenge the mind of the members who participate at their own volition.

Personal attacks on individual members are uncalled for. I realize I've just made an oblique attack on a new member and for that I am sorry. But come on guys. Don't voluntarily associate yourself with a forum and then after joining wear your heart on your sleeve, looking for perceived "politically incorrect" content. Grow a little bit of a thick skin and jump into the threads, sharing your own ideas rather than whining, policing, or tattling.
    Absolutely! Are we to be converged and subject to thought police mentality? Do we not as free men have a mind of our own with something different to offer? Or shall we be constrained and limited in our growth and thought process. Who hear owns a gun in the spirit of the intent of the second amendment, yet bows to the throne of
    status quo? Give me liberty or boot me off!
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Absolutely! Are we to be converged and subject to thought police mentality? Do we not as free men have a mind of our own with something different to offer? Or shall we be constrained and limited in our growth and thought process. Who hear owns a gun in the spirit of the intent of the second amendment, yet bows to the throne of
    status quo? Give me liberty or boot me off!
    Ha! Lol!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Hi Jetpilot1;

Rule Nine of what?

We'd read it if you'd provide its source.
    He is refering to the same as I did. Rule #9 of this forum...

glockman10mm and bmcgilvray like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I'm not new so don't worry about picking on me. His point as well as mine is simply if you're gonna have rules enforce them.

I don't care if you think the world pivots around the 45 or 9mm. When in fact I know it pivots on 357Sig.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Of course "caliber wars" is not a topic against the rules. It is only discouraged.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Holes in hearts , spines and brains are still holes in hearts, spines and brains....no matter what put them there.

Placement is most important.

Most people stop from fear or pain, not because they physically cannot continue.These people may well drop from a minor wound. Some however do not stop from fear or pain. In those cases then you are going to have to lower the blood pressure to the point they go to sleep , hit the brain and cause the system to shut down, or hit spine and paralyze them. ALL of those things require penetration. Given the same depth of penetration (quoting the FBI) then the edge is to the bigger bullet because it makes a bigger hole.But the difference in size of holes made between 9mm, 40, and .45 just are not big enough difference in size to really make that big a difference in performance. It is like saying the guy who can do 100 pushups is clearly stronger than the guy who can only do 98......more is more...but is it ENOUGH more to really matter?

And "energy" is not what does the damage with pistols. With a .308 that is dumping 2800 lbs of energy on you....yes energy wounds. On a pistol dumping 400 lbs of energy...there is not enough energy to do anything other than drive the bullet. For comparison...a .45 auto has between 400 and 450 lbs of energy....a professional boxer punches with between 800 and 1000 lbs of energy....the ENERGY is not what does the damage. It is the trauma caused by what the bullet pokes a hole in. If the bullet pokes a hole in the heart it will do more damage than if it pokes a hole in the buttcheek. How do we increase effectiveness? Either use a bigger bullet or make more holes. Since the bullets are not a big enough size difference to make a huge difference then making more holes makes more sense.

So the easy way to solve stopping issues? Shoot them more than once in important places. Instead of firing 1 and waiting to see IF it had the effect you want, fire a burst to the upper chest where you are likely to poke multiple holes in vital organs. More holes is better than bigger holes.
    Randy Harris
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Master Class IDPA SSP

TRAIN with me....http://www.suarezinternationalstore....px?find=harris

"I don't care if you think the world pivots around the 45 or 9mm. When in fact I know it pivots on 357Sig."

"Oh, a wise guy eh..."

Bravenet - audio_clips / Audio Clips / Three Stooges - Curly - "Oh, a wise-guy... nyuk nyuk nyuk"
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Of course "caliber wars" is not a topic against the rules. It is only discouraged.
    That depends.

I will give you the low down on the bullet war that pops up every few days.

1. Carry what you can handle.
    2. If you shoot 9mm well but can`t handle a .45, obviously carry a 9mm.
    3. Carry something if you CAN from .380 upwards.
    4. Carry a proven defense caliber, IMO .380 and up. Even 25acp or 32acp if that is more comfortable.

I know a lot of people with arthritis carry small rounds like .25acp

In New York the three biggest killers are 22LR 25acp 32acp as i know a medic there.

At the end of the day .22`s have stopped people.

It is not how big the bullet is. It is who you come up against. Recently a cop shot a guy 17 times with a .45.

Yet people have been stopped by one shot with a .380?

It proves that it is not so much the bullet you carry.

AND, at the end of the day, when that guy is coming at you with a weapon. Your just gonna be DAMN glad you have a gun to pull out, regardless if it is a .32acp or .45acp

There is no 'best' round.

Thank you.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links