Does caliber size really matter?

This is a discussion on Does caliber size really matter? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I owned a gun forum, I would allow for religious and political debates, cursing, ad hominem attacks, etc., but I would strictly enforce a ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Does caliber size really matter?

If I owned a gun forum, I would allow for religious and political debates, cursing, ad hominem attacks, etc., but I would strictly enforce a rule, and ban any member for breaking it, that prohibits saying "shot placement is key."

In other news, water is wet.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by AustinS View Post
    My main purpose for a weapon is for ccw. I carry a g36 .45. From what I have read recently most shootings are at close range and seems all ammo have had about the same results at those ranges. So that's where my question come in. Does size really matter if yor shooting someone from less than 6 feet away?
    The only thing that really matters is that you WILL shoot a threat at the distances you anticipate. The rest is up to history and the double tap. The mind is more powerful than the caliber. Shoot to live. How close is too close? Nothing that you read now will pull the trigger for you when needed. Depend on yourself and less on others. This is going to be your best chance of survival. Believe me. There is another post that suggests "get ready". I figure it's best you do just that and quit worrying about trivial stuff.

The key to a gunfight is getting the first shot off. The perpetrator is going to duck, and from there on your gun better not jam.

I live in Florida and carry a Sig 232 (Walther ppk type) .... it's DA/SA, fairly accurate, and most of all, it doesn't jam. And getting a DA pocket pistol out and on target is twice as fast as a SA, holster unsnap, safety off. Naturally I prefer my Ruger mini14, 223 cal, but it's tough to get in my pocket.

Once I move into my car it's a 1911 in the glove box. My house is a 12 guage. Is a bigger cal better -- 'Of course', but a smaller cal will work.

Of course caliber size matters, up to a certain point. Size is just a segment of the pie. I'd say "practicality of the platform" and "ease of shooting accurately" are the biggest points to analyse.
    Just like cars and women, you should test drive before committing $$$$ to one.

it does to a certain extent and that's why i choose a 9mm and nothing else bigger..I feel i am proficient enough to use the 9mm to defend myself and if i missed, i have more extras to back me up per magazine.......... i'm starting to think the keltec PMR30 22mag seem like a good gun for self defense. 30 round mag with super fast follow up shots sounds like a dead bad guy to me.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links