Federal HST - Page 2

Federal HST

This is a discussion on Federal HST within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks again, fellows, for all the input! Thanks to Sebass for the lead on the HST, but I also got an email that Ranger T ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Federal HST

147 gr. vs. 124 +P or +P+

Thanks again, fellows, for all the input!

Thanks to Sebass for the lead on the HST, but I also got an email that Ranger T was in stock at one of the distributors. For $100 a case difference in price, I think the Ranger T's will do me just fine!

Question for you guys who are 9mm experts - It looks like my options tend towards the 147 gr. standard pressure loads, or 124 gr. +P's or +P+. I've been shooting handguns for 35+ years, but do not have a whole lot of experience with 9mm. Wonder what your thoughts are as to which of these would be a better SD round, particularly in a micro-9 (Kahr CM9)? IRL I doubt it'd make much of a difference, but I'd like to hear from anyone who has experience with both of these loads. I hesitate to pick the +P's or +P+, not because of any limitations on the gun's capability, but more from a controlability standpoint.

Please share your thoughts.

Regards,
    Jim

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I get mine from Streicher's in Minnesota, they have a website as well - just ordered 100 rounds of 9mm and 50 rounds of HydraShock in .380 from there in fact.

They do have .45 in stock as of this post... $32/50 in 230gr hollow point, looks like they have +p as well.

After some research I decided on standard pressure 124 grain HST's in my Kahrs (MK9 and PM9), hope that helps.
    http://glocktalk.com/forums/archive/...t-1196741.html

You would think federal would up production.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebass View Post
    That's a $10 increase from what I paid at SGAmmo just 3-4 weeks ago. I'm glad I got 250 rounds at that time, but I shot most of them for reliability testing in my M&P 9. At least I now know my two 9mm's are reliable with them when I go to buy more.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Ammo to go had 147gr. HST in stock last night.

Ain't that the truth!

After a little MORE research, and looking at the $100/case price difference, I went with 147gr. Ranger-T's. Looks like the difference in performance is pretty much negligible, but the price difference is not!

Thanks again for the pointers, guys!

Regards,
    Jim
    Bark'n likes this.

Good choice! I may end up going with the Ranger-T's as well if my 'source' for HST happens to dry up before I get paid next week .

Really can't go wrong with any of DocGKR's recommended loads, I guess it all comes down to availability and price!
    Bark'n likes this.

Good choice! I may end up going with the Ranger-T's as well if my 'source' for HST happens to dry up before I get paid next week .

Really can't go wrong with any of DocGKR's recommended loads, I guess it all comes down to availability and price!
    Cool, now you're starting to get the picture. At least to my way of thinking.

I used to give myself a friggon headache splitting hairs, and agonizing over ballistics and bullet performance. In the end, I decided any of the modern loadings by the mainstream manufacturers would probably suffice. And to use a bullet which has performed acceptably in standard testing to FBI and/or IWBA standards. (Which pretty much all manufacturers strive to achieve in their bullet development).

The main issue is to have a gun, and have plenty of bullets in the gun to keep you in the fight as long as possible.

I've seen a lot of people killed and put out of commission from gunshot wounds over the years in the course of my job, and though I've never investigated what specific bullet was used, I could make the assumption based on the individual who was using the gun, that in the vast majority of cases, the person doing the shooting had absolutely No forethought into the type of bullets and ammo he used. He just used whatever he was given when he got the gun, or whatever he bought at the store.

Buy any reputable ammunition from any reputable manufacturer and you'll be ahead of the game compared to what the average bad guy is attempting to use against you.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Just got two 50-round boxes last week, from AmmoToGo. 147 gr

Kyle's Gun Shop has 26 boxes left. I was just there last week to pick up 10 boxes and at that point he had like 140 boxes, so I don't think they'll last much longer.

http://www.kylesgunshop.com/store.ph...216&pd=2271514

hi Kilowatt3 I shoot a 40 but I too looked at federal,winchester and others I went with the wichester t's I see them online frequently in 9mm also. Check out your local gun shows thats where I got my last couple of boxes good luck.

RKM
    Just bought some stuff from ammotogo.com and I saw they have 147gr HST in stock right now. I currently carry 124gr HST because that's what was in stock when I first ordered it. I originally wanted 124gr +P or 147gr. but they didn't have it back when I was in the market for SD 9mm ammo. I didn't have the money to include the 147gr on this purchase. I bought a bunch of range ammo in 9mm, .45, 5.56 and x39.

I think the 124gr will suffice for me. That 147gr might get that extra bit of penetration, but not enough for me to believe it's going to REALLY matter. I think any gr. HST you carry +P or not will do just fine. Any premium ammo for a reputable manufacture for that matter.

I ended up getting a good deal on a case of 147gr. Ranger T from SGAmmo. Ordered it Thursday, shipped Friday, got here Tuesday.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links