Federal HST

This is a discussion on Federal HST within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All, I got to doing a little research a while ago, and decided that the Federal HST looked like the SD ammo of choice. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Federal HST

Federal HST

Hi All,

I got to doing a little research a while ago, and decided that the Federal HST looked like the SD ammo of choice. I didn't get any at the time, and now I can't seem to find any (9mm). Looks like either the 124 or the 147 would be good, but I haven't found any in stock anywhere.

Anyone have any leads on this stuff?

Thanks,
    Jim

2. Remove Ads

Check out SGAmmo.com | Family Owned and Operated, Stillwater Oklahoma. I've never called them, but you may want to give them a call and see if they expect to lay hands on any, since it doesn't look like they have HST in 9mm now. They have, and I use HST for the 40. They do have Hi-shock though. They ship pretty quick compared to some of the other discount sellers.

Oh... I picked up some Federal 9BPLE that is a +P+ round for the Nano. Haven't shot any of it yet, but it should be an effective SD round.
    sgb likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I'd buy a few different boxes of SD ammo before you decide on which round you are going to use. There are quite a few good SD rounds for the 9mm out there that you might want to take a look at.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

VIP Member
    Look at Cor Bon +P 115gr DPX, too.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    Federal HST is IMO the very best. That's why it is hard to find. Try ammotogo.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

+1 on ammotogo

Federal has requested it not be sold to private individuals so it has made it very hard to find if you're not law enforcement.

ammotogo ocassionaly has some that a LE agency has backed out of buying for one reason or another.

As others have said, it's very hard to find. I've been looking for it in .45 for some time now.

I ended up getting some 230 gr. Winchester Ranger T's and have been happy with the performance of them so fr..
    Guest1 likes this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I agree with what others have said. Federal HST in any cartridge, is hard to find, being that LE use them the most.

SGAmmo is a great place to find it as well.

I use Federal Personal Defense in 165GR for my .40S&W and they look the same. :) Huge hollow cavity.

NRA Member
    Gen4 G23

This is where I found HST 124gr +P a few months back and picked up 500 rounds. I feel just as good with Winchester Ranger T and that is available in 147gr as of a few days ago-picked up 400 rounds of it.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFriday View Post
    Check out SGAmmo.com | Family Owned and Operated, Stillwater Oklahoma. I've never called them, but you may want to give them a call and see if they expect to lay hands on any, since it doesn't look like they have HST in 9mm now. They have, and I use HST for the 40. They do have Hi-shock though. They ship pretty quick compared to some of the other discount sellers.

Oh... I picked up some Federal 9BPLE that is a +P+ round for the Nano. Haven't shot any of it yet, but it should be an effective SD round.

Last week Academy Sports had HST in .45acp in stock. If one is near you, check there.

Thanks, Guys, for the info.

Still no luck finding the HST's, but I may go with Ranger T's. The easiest to find seem to be the 127gr +P+, but I don't really want to go that hot in my CM9. Might just keep shopping for a while.

Regards,
    Jim

I shoot the 147 gr. HST's in my 9mm. I got 250 rounds a couple weeks ago from SGAmmo.

If they are out of stock, I have no problem going with Ranger - T series, Speer Gold Dots or Remington Golden Saber. They are all going to give you the results you're looking for in my opinion.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Kyle's Gunshop & ammotogo are the two internet retailers that I've seen sell the HST line on a consistent basis.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Ranger T's and Gold Dots are excellent alternatives to HST's. I have found SGAmmo to have better prices lately than ammotogo. Delivery is fast as well. I've ordered on Wed and things delivered on Friday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links