>357 SIG hp question

This is a discussion on >357 SIG hp question within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently own a Sig P229 chambered fort he .357 SIG. I chose this firearm after about 2 years of pretty solid research on the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: >357 SIG hp question

>357 SIG hp question

I currently own a Sig P229 chambered fort he .357 SIG. I chose this firearm after about 2 years of pretty solid research on the caliber. During that time about the only bad thing I could find about the round was that it seemed to be more prone to bullet set back due to re-chambering the round repeatedly then most other calibers. I do understand FULLY why this round is more prone to this issue. My question to yall is currentlly I am carrying the Speer GD 125 gr round for this platform and I have experianced bullet set back twice in about a months time. Both rounds that have set back are from the same lot number in fact they came out of the same box. Is this a common issues to Speers load or did I just get a bad box? If this is a common issue would i be better off going to say the Double Tap Ammunition loading that the store I work in now carries or should I look at say the Cor-Bon. Basically i just would like to know if I can still expect this from the Speer ammo or if I did in fact just get a bad box. Any input in to this topic would be very welcomed.
    Kahr CW9, Sig Sauer P226 SCT 9mm, Sig Sauer P229 SCT 9mm, FNH FNP .45 Tactical
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    How often are you unloading/emptying the chamber?I think if you are monkeying around unloading your pistol more than say twice in a week, week and a half, your doing it yourself, and any ammo is going to be prone to this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Too bad you don't reload' you could pull the bullet or Bump it out & recrimp to OAL. JMO ; ) PS Speer is a good round of ammo
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I clear my firearm every night when I enter my house and reload it every day before I leave. The round that is ejected is then put back in to my mag the following morning so really the round the top 2 rounds of my mag are the most prone to the bullet set back. Now keep in mind that it appears that only one of these two rounds are affected by it. I am hoping that I did just get a bad box of Speer GD as I do know that Speer is a VERY good SD round.
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    a bullet should only be loaded once. after that you risk what is happening--setback.

i'll rotate what’s in the mag so 12+1 lasts about a month if you unload near daily.
    after twice the bullet goes in a box marked 'for practice--be careful' so i can still
    practice with what i shoot. though even than i put 2 in the mag, fillup with dependable range
    ammo and than the top 2 are SD also

i think you got a bad box and should be in touch with the manufacturer’s.
    re-loading 357 is not for the beginner. very short neck and needs a tight roll crimp.
    and only expensive SD bullets have a cannel to accept the roll crimp. most plated
    bullets are smooth and thus you must rely on neck tension ( again that short neck
    doesn’t help) and a taper crimp. to ensure my rounds are safe i will push with my thumb
    a round into the edge of mu wooded bench. the pointy nose goes into the wood a good 1/8"
    and you can almost read the head stamp on my thumb--i push hard.

another test is with the green bullet eraser. most factory ammo will come apart on the
    3rd wack--or at least show signs of moving out.
    for the 357Sig ( and the 40 S&W) the round must hold together completely through the 3rd wack.
    --whats a "wack"? how hard do you swing a hammer when hitting a nail?
    strength wise we all will differ a bit, but be consistent,

and neck tension will generally hold, though with some movement possible on the 1st wack
    add taper crimp and get 2 wacks
    roll crimp can go 3, even 4

....so goes the story of Nick and his patty wacks
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Personally, anytime I have to rechamber rounds in a semi-auto, I'd inspect the bullet for deformation, seating, and the case for any dents. Goes for the ammo in your mags when you load them. I never rechamber a carry round by feeding from the magazine. I insert it directly in the chamber. My Seecamp can deform silvertips some when fed from the mag. I'm also weird as I hate carry ammo with tarnished brass cases. So after handling a round a few times, I replace it and relegate it to my practice ammo. I also like to replace the chambered round every so often as I worry (probably needlessly) about lubricant or residual cleaning solvent getting into the primer.
    Last edited by jasgo; March 12th, 2012 at 08:18 PM.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chalk316 View Post
    I clear my firearm every night when I enter my house and reload it every day before I leave. The round that is ejected is then put back in to my mag the following morning so really the round the top 2 rounds of my mag are the most prone to the bullet set back. Now keep in mind that it appears that only one of these two rounds are affected by it. I am hoping that I did just get a bad box of Speer GD as I do know that Speer is a VERY good SD round.

^^^^^^^Theres your problem.^^^^^^^^^^^

What do you live in, a castle, with a moat, and drawbridge??

Why are you unloading everytime you enter the house?

Are you unaware that 100% of home invasions happen in the ,,,,,,,,,HOME.?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I am fully aware of that and that is the reason my Sig P226 is sitting right next to me on my computer desk with a loaded mag in it at all times that round does NOT get racked in and out in and out all the time. My carry gun goes on a table right out side of my room. I choose not to leave it in the same fashion that I leave my "house" gun. But it seems as though we have identified the problem and that is PEBGAU Problem Exists Between Gun and User. Thank you all for your input in to this situation. If anyone else has something to add I would more then welcome the additional input.

Quote Originally Posted by jasgo View Post
    I never rechamber a carry round by feeding from the magazine. I insert it directly in the chamber.
    Do not do this...you risk breaking the claw on your extractor or breaking the extractor completely.
    jasgo likes this.
    “A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” --George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Crowbait View Post
    Do not do this...you risk breaking the claw on your extractor or breaking the extractor completely.
    What he said.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    if your gonna re-load the same round than try this.....
    with an unsharpened pencil, the gun is chambered ---safety's if any are on and careful is on highest alert now insert the pencil till it is touching the nose of the bullet

with a razer blade flat on the muzzle, score the pencil..

next time you re-load the same round use the pencil to verify that there is no set back--
    if the score line is below the muzzel that means the bullet is shorter which means set back.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Originally Posted by Crowbait
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigpoppa48 View Post
    What he said.
    What they said ^

I am a big 357Sig fan, own a few, including a Sig229. I have actually had three 229s in 357Sig. I almost exclussivly shoot the same Speer rounds you have picked, and have never had a set back issue, but like many have aready mentioned, I do not continually load/unload my gun. I do believe this is your problem, IMHO, but there is a slight chance you may also have got a bad batch too. I kind of doubt it is a bad batch though, because continually loading/unloading can cause set back in most any caliber/brand of ammo.

Anyway, enjoy your Sig in Sig caliber, it is a hard round to beat IMO.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    if your gonna re-load the same round than try this.....
    with an unsharpened pencil, the gun is chambered ---safety's if any are on and careful is on highest alert now insert the pencil till it is touching the nose of the bullet

with a razer blade flat on the muzzle, score the pencil..

next time you re-load the same round use the pencil to verify that there is no set back--
    if the score line is below the muzzel that means the bullet is shorter which means set back.
    Or, you could use a caliper.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowbait View Post
    I just learned something. Something I've been incorrectly doing for years. I guess I carried the practice over from chambering a single round into a pump shotgun through the ejection port or single rounds in a bolt action rifle. I don't unload and reload my SD weapon very often at all so maybe one reason (aside from luck) I've been spared from an extractor failure so far. I've also been easy about letting the slide back into battery. At the range I always use the mag.
    Crowbait likes this.

If you re-chamber 357 sig it will set back regardless of mfg.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links