Speer Gold Dots for short barrels

This is a discussion on Speer Gold Dots for short barrels within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can anyone tell me if there is really much benefit in the 135gr GDHP-SB (Short Barrel) in .357 from Speer over the lighter, MUCH faster ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Speer Gold Dots for short barrels

Speer Gold Dots for short barrels

Can anyone tell me if there is really much benefit in the 135gr GDHP-SB (Short Barrel) in .357 from Speer over the lighter, MUCH faster 125gr GDHP in the same caliber? My SP101 2.25" .357Mag loves 125gr rounds, and they're very easy to handle. Are there any benefits besides recoil that might make me decide to use the GDHP-SB rounds instead?

2. Remove Ads

The 135gr has performed exceptional in denim and gelatin testing with 38 +P loads it is very consistent. That is what I am carrying in my 38's.

But in all honesty in a .357 platform I go to the standard Remington golden sabre 125gr .357 round with the speer gold dot.

I am a HUGE gold dot fan for my wheel guns.
    oneshot likes this.

I also want to add, that you should carry what you can hit accurately on the move with your weapon... if you are not accurate with the 135 but are with the 125, then go with that... shot placement trumps all handgun ballistics/caliber arguments and theories and that could ever be discussed

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I carry Gold Dot 135gr .38+p in my snubby. I can't speak to the .357 in a short barrel though, my 357 has a six inch barrel.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Well, I'm pretty confident in my abilities with 125gr Gold Dot GDHP's, but if the general consensus is that the Gold Dot GDHP-SB's are superior from short barrels, I may pick up a box and see how they feel. I guess my inquiry is just to find out if there's a benefit to the "Short-Barrel" designation that Speer gives this round.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Speer claims that they have been "engineered" for short barrels. To give superior performance and expansion.
    Below is the link to where I buy mine. You can read the "propaganda", and make up your own mind.

SPEER LE 135gr + P 38 Special GDHP (OUT OF STOCK) at G&R Tactical
    DanielC likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It has to do with their consistent expansion at lower velocities as seen out of short barrel snubs.

Many rounds perform great out of 4" + barrels but suffer out of the snubs....

Speer specifically developed these bullets to provide consistent expansion out of short barrels and all of the testing I have seen from professionals like docgkr and others has support these claims and it is a highly recommended round for self defense.

I make my own.

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks so much for your responses everyone!

In the 2012 issue of Concealed Carry Handguns magazine, there is a review article on the S&W Bodyguard 38 (by Doug Larsen). They chronographed three different loadings out of the actual gun (1.9" barrel).

Hornady Critical Defense 110gr FTX at 921fps. Mag Tech Guardian Gold 125gr JHP +P at 911fps. The Speer short barrel 135gr GDHP +P at 937fps.

If you notice, not only does the Speer loading have a decent velocity, but it is also with the heaviest bullet.

It's not bad thinking to carry those in your snub .357mag rather than full house loads. Perhaps carry as the first cylinder full and have full magnum rounds as spares. Not sure if you are shooting 125gr .357magnums or .38sp. If magnums, point of aim might be different from the Speer 135gr GDHP .38sp +P. Practice with some. Expensive, as I just got another box of 20 for like $28.
    claude clay and Stubborn like this.

I don't mean to intrude on ur topic and questions, but I have similar questions I'd like to post to get some good opinions and advice but I have no clue how to start a thread...I would appreciate any help

VIP Member
    I agree with everyone on the 135 GDSB.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    I agree with everyone on the 135 GDSB.
    +1
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Thanks everyone, it seems now what I need to do is find somewhere I can purchase some GDHP-SB's and see how they feel in my SP101.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielC View Post
    Thanks everyone, it seems now what I need to do is find somewhere I can purchase some GDHP-SB's and see how they feel in my SP101.
    They are currently sold out..... unless you find some tucked away on your local shop's shelf. I just buy the bullets from natchez and twist my own with power pistol. If you reload here is a great thread:

Anyone loaded any Speer 135 GD .38 Spl? - THR

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links