Corroded ammo - what did I do wrong - Page 2

Corroded ammo - what did I do wrong

This is a discussion on Corroded ammo - what did I do wrong within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is it considered best practice to remove ammunition from cardboard boxes when placing in long-term storage. I just packed up several thousand rounds of Lake ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Corroded ammo - what did I do wrong

Is it considered best practice to remove ammunition from cardboard boxes when placing in long-term storage. I just packed up several thousand rounds of Lake City xm193 in Cabelas' plastic dry boxes. They came straight out of the shipping container, individual boxes dated, and into the dry boxes. Planning to order a large quantity of bulk color-change silica, but haven't gotten to it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWisconsin View Post
    Sucks with about 500 rds. of corroded ammo though. At least it is just the cheap WWB, but it still feels bad just tossing it.
    I'd clean it up as well as I could and shoot it.
    BkCo1 likes this.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

I am glad to report back that I just went through about 150 rounds at the range of the corroded ammo.
    I just sorted out the few that had noticeable buildup on them - some of them actually had small pieces of cardboard stuck to it.
    I think the main culprit is acidic cardboard as I had other rounds in the same bag that had no issues.
    Anyway I am now putting the ammo in ziplocks with a little bag of dessicant before I put it away.

I ran the ammo (some of the casings were completely dark/black) through my M&P 9 mm and my new Ruger LC9.
    Neither had any issues at all with the ammo and it all worked perfectly.
    On a side note I must say that I love the LC9. I did have 2 instances where the magazine came out when I was using the pinky extension. Since I have large hands I was only having 1/2 a pinky on it anyway. I had no issues after I changed to the flat bottom plate.
    I was actually shooting better with the LC9 than with the full size M&P using the sights.
    The laser was a little off out of the box but after a few clicks up it was dead on.
    The trigger pull is super looooong but once I got used to it I shot good.
    I saved the target showing the first 6 shots out of this gun in a 1.5" grouping - this was at approx. 20 feet. Not bad for the first 6 shots out of the box !!

This is interesting I ave stuff that has been stored for many years and was boxed in 1950 still good as new with no special storage.
    I have never put any in one of those fire safes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links