JHP or FMJ in .380? (Poll) - Page 2

JHP or FMJ in .380? (Poll)

This is a discussion on JHP or FMJ in .380? (Poll) within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; JHPs. I regard my (soon to have) SIG 238 as a meltdown gun, for use after the wheels have come off everything else. That magazine ...

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer in a .380?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • JHP

39 37.86%
  • FMJ

27 26.21%
  • JHP in the summer / FMJ in the winter

13 12.62%
  • I don't have a clue but I like polls

16 15.53%
  • Other

8 7.77%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: JHP or FMJ in .380? (Poll)

JHPs. I regard my (soon to have) SIG 238 as a meltdown gun, for use after the wheels have come off everything else. That magazine would be emptied very quickly.

i use the golden saber 102 gr. we don't have winter here but i won't mind using FMJ as long as its a good quality brand.

I have seen countless posts about how FMJ is necessary to get adequate penetration with a .380, but never any informed evidence that it's true. EVERY account I have ever seen about real-life performance suggests that a good JHP is far superior.

If you're planning on holding off an invasion by the Soviet army, and they're wearing body armor, maybe an FMJ would be better (but I suggest you use something a little stouter than a .380). For the drugged-up punk in the Wal-Mart parking lot, the JHP is a no-brainer.

Regards,
    Jim
    W9HDG and MisterAvis like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    I have seen countless posts about how FMJ is necessary to get adequate penetration with a .380, but never any informed evidence that it's true. EVERY account I have ever seen about real-life performance suggests that a good JHP is far superior.

If you're planning on holding off an invasion by the Soviet army, and they're wearing body armor, maybe an FMJ would be better (but I suggest you use something a little stouter than a .380). For the drugged-up punk in the Wal-Mart parking lot, the JHP is a no-brainer.

Regards,
    Jim
    Couldn't have said it better!

JHP in the summer and FMJ in winter
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    another + 1 to alternating rounds cant go wrong
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Albeit an oxymoron, I firmly cast my preference vote as a definite "indecisive" - and continue to pursue the generally unpopular practice of staggering JHP and ball rounds in my .380 magazine.

How can anyone be "decisive in advance" about choosing which particular bullet style (penetration or expansion) will be most effective in any given SD scenario when considering there are hundreds of completely different scenario possibilities with totally unpredictable and diverse aspects that could easily happen in a heartbeat at any time?

There's already been a number of recent informative posts related to statistics that show there's no magic handgun round or caliber that has anywhere close to a reliable "one shot incapacitation" track record. So, when considering a .380 as being pretty much at the lower end of the "reasonably effective" SD range, it's obvious that a number of rounds will most likely be necessary to incapacitate - and one should therefore seriously consider using the hottest loads available with alternating penetration and expansion rounds to throw all the versatility that's possible from the low end of the "effective" scale.

Never fool yourself by thinking that a .380+p FMJ or hardcast round can't overpenetrate at very close range or that an equally charged JHP bullet won't expand and stop in thick muscle or heavy fat without making the trip to a vital organ or blood vessel; so why not hammer away with both types to ensure you're delivering everything the .380 is capable of mustering?

As already mentioned, if there's anything out there that can come even remotely close to Buffalo Bore ammo in .380+p, I've not found it yet. In fact, I'd lean toward putting the BB round more in a "++p" class when compared to other "hot" .380+p ballastics. However, BB gives explicit warning to check manufacturer's recommendations before using their .380's because they can easily push polymer and/or alloy frame pistols into the danger zone for extreme wear or damage - and noting the significant recoil increase will quickly substantiate that warning.
    Moops likes this.

Firmly undecided. I've been carrying JHPs, but after reading, I am starting to consider the alternating stack.
    "Your mind is the weapon, all the rest are just tools." --gasmitty

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links