JHP or FMJ in .380? (Poll)

This is a discussion on JHP or FMJ in .380? (Poll) within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious what you feel is the better defensive round in a .380, thanks for taking the time....

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer in a .380?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • JHP

39 37.86%
  • FMJ

27 26.21%
  • JHP in the summer / FMJ in the winter

13 12.62%
  • I don't have a clue but I like polls

16 15.53%
  • Other

8 7.77%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: JHP or FMJ in .380? (Poll)

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar

Just curious what you feel is the better defensive round in a .380, thanks for taking the time.

Get the bullet in there and deep enough to do some good with good hits. FMJ and good, accurate hits are the only way to go with .380.
    gottabkiddin, sgb and Cuda66 like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Best stuff IMO is the BuffaloBore Hard cast 100gr +p round...
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Hi gottabkiddin;

I laid in a long-term supply of that imported Santa Barbara flat nosed (slightly concave actually) FMJ .380 that was widely available back in 2005-2006. It's hot stuff, cranking well over 1000 fps over the chronograph screens from even the stub barrel of the P3AT and hits hard for a weenie .380. The Buffalo Bore looks a notch or two better than the Santa Barbara ammo though. I keep intending to try it but can't remember to pick up some on the infrequent occasions I'm near a retail outlet that sells BB.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    voted both--if it expands, fine. if not, also fine.

the recipient probably cares more than i do
    Moops likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Everybody I know with a .380, cops, civilians, fellow gun shop employees, etc loads Gold Saber.

Winter? Is that those three cold days we get every year? I kind of remember that.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I agree with both. There is a way to have the best of both worlds (expansion and penetration) and that is to load both in the mag. I load my Sig P238 with JHP first and the second round is FMJ and alternate from there. I shoot both JHP and FMJ and my Sig eats them both very well - never a problem.
    Carry: Sig P238
    Home: Stoeger Couger 8000F 9mm

Well recently bought my taurus model 85, 38 +p special. 5-shot. In the "wheel" i have 3-jhp, and 2-fmj (alternating). My two speed loaders are set up same way.

For those who viewed my thread about it in defensive carry guns, i know i promised pictures, they will be posted tonight.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

Only one view but alternating bullets smacks of uninformed indecisiveness.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

I prefer the buffalo bore hot loads in 90gr JHP flavor. I chronoed them at a 1090FPS average out of my p3at. That will provide enough penetration.

380 Auto +P Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

For those that do not like or are not comfortable JHP, I also chronoed the 100gr hardcast at a 1040fps average out of the same p3at

380 Auto +P Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

I consider my .380 a pocket, last resort weapon. I rarely carry it, unless I need to be ultra discreet. If I cannot get away, then it is best to stick it in the attackers face and start shooting.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

I have Winchester Supreme Elite PDX1 in my Beretta 84BB right now, I'm considering changing to the Buffalo Bore 80 grain lead less +P which according to their site out of a Browning DBA (basically a 84BB) is at 1230 ft/sec which is around 270 foot pounds of muzzle energy.

BUFFALO-BARNES 380 Auto +P Pistol and Handgun Ammo
    Last edited by W9HDG; March 14th, 2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Added website link

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Hi gottabkiddin;

I laid in a long-term supply of that imported Santa Barbara flat nosed (slightly concave actually) FMJ .380 that was widely available back in 2005-2006. It's hot stuff, cranking well over 1000 fps over the chronograph screens from even the stub barrel of the P3AT and hits hard for a weenie .380. The Buffalo Bore looks a notch or two better than the Santa Barbara ammo though. I keep intending to try it but can't remember to pick up some on the infrequent occasions I'm near a retail outlet that sells BB.
    I've shot a box or two of the BB HC stuff and IMO, it's about as good as it get for the .380. I really don't carry my .380's too much anymore, but when I do they're loaded with the BB stuff.. IMO those things will put the hurt on someone if need be. Not familiar with the "Santa Barbara flat nosed" stuff, but @ 1000 FPS it's gotta be a good one too.. Anyway, thanks for the info my friend..
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I just tried out Barnes Vor-tex on a wet triple folded sleeping bag and I really liked the results

VIP Member
    JHP in the summer / FMJ in the winter

This is how I voted, because of where you are on the longitude and latitude, as well as someone in Mi.
    As long as the HP you select expands AND penetrates.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I voted FMJ, but if I were carrying .380 I would probably alternate stack.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links