bullet stuck in barrel

This is a discussion on bullet stuck in barrel within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lucky you noticed it....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: bullet stuck in barrel

Lucky you noticed it.

2. Remove Ads

I once had a squib from a 45 ACP. Heard the same weird/off report and inspected the barrel. I couldn't see well in the indoor range and contemplated just continuing on firing the next round. Had second thoughts and disassembled the pistol to get a better look. That was probably one of the best decisions of my life because there was the bullet wedged in the barrel. I dread to think what that next shot may have resulted in. Luckily the stuck bullet was punched out easily and the gun has been fine since.
    Eagleks likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

If the bullet stuck in the throat of the barrel the receiver would not go into battery. In that case your pistol would not fire.

I went to the winchester web site to look for a number I could call and let them know, but could not find how to contact them. Any have thier number, I wonder if they care. I will say I have good luck with this ammo and will still use it.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudjockey View Post
    I went to the winchester web site to look for a number I could call and let them know, but could not find how to contact them. Any have thier number, I wonder if they care. I will say I have good luck with this ammo and will still use it.
    From their website:

I HAVE A QUALITY ISSUE WITH ONE OF YOUR PRODUCTS. WHAT DO I DO?
    Use the Contact link or write to:

Winchester Ammunition
    Attn: Product Service Dept.
    427 N. Shamrock St.
    East Alton, IL 62024
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

My shooting buddy bought 2 new Sig 238's,Last Sunday he was shooting some reloads I made for him,all of a sudden he had one really loud discharge and the slide was stuck open,I had to beat it closed with a mallet and then field stripped it,barrel was bulged about 3/4" in front of the chamber.I'm thinking he had a light recoil and didn't notice it,or had his head up his rectum and pulled off another shot.I never pull the trigger after a round either sounds different and/or lighter recoil without clearing and checking the barrel for an obstruction
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Seen this happen with a .357 and tried to help get the thing out. Proper method is use a "wooden" dowel to drive it out.
    Mostly I would say that your gun could explode. Depends on how good the steel is and pressure. Usually leave a nasty
    bulge in the barrel and loud nasty sound of both bullets going down-range. Ruger actually did some horrible testing on their
    P89 models when they were trying to get ready for military trials...that the M9 or 92 Berretta won, because they couldn't get
    the gun ready in time for qualls. They rammed a steel rod up the barrel and fired the gun-which blew out the extractor. Upon removing the rod and putting another extractor in, they fired several (think 10K anyone remember?) thousands of rounds
    through it with no loss in accuracy. Ruger always over-engineers things to last. Good question as to what would happen, but you'd probably live through it. Just remember to never hold you hand under the gun but use the hand wrapped around the hand method on a semi-automatic. Underneath granny holds work ok on a revolver, but if a semi-auto blows, it's usually designed to allow it to blow down the magazine well.

Best case : your barrel would have a very good bulge in it

Worse case : you gun would be in pieces everywhere, along with fingers and various other parts of your hand.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

This happened to my LCP as well a few weeks ago when my brother was shooting it with some TulAmmo. Luckily, the slug was close enough to the breech that the next round wouldn't chamber, so squeezing off another shot was not an option. I brought it home and pounded it out with a dowel and it shoots fine now. I won't be buying any more TulAmmo any time soon, though I did at least burn through what I still had. No further problems.

Do you have FTF problems with yours? I'm still looking for a good SD round that mine will like.
    "Your mind is the weapon, all the rest are just tools." --gasmitty

No, I really have not had many problems with my LCP. I only have shoot the white box ammo through it. Maybe 250 rounds total.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links