bullet stuck in barrel

bullet stuck in barrel

This is a discussion on bullet stuck in barrel within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was at the local range yesterday shooting my LCP. I shot about 20 rounds and then one round made a funny noise almost like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: bullet stuck in barrel

bullet stuck in barrel

I was at the local range yesterday shooting my LCP. I shot about 20 rounds and then one round made a funny noise almost like a fizzing sound, then a bunch of smoke. I racked the slide and the empty case come out. I thought that was strange, it did not sound loud and I starting thing that maybe the bullet never came out. I found a stick and stuck it down the barrel and sure enough the bullet was stuck in it. Im sure it was a bad round and nothing to do with me or the LCP. My question is: what if I did not check and just went ahead and fired it again or if I really had to use it and had no time to get the stuck bullet out. What would/could happen? I would like to think that both bullets would have came out....
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Good chance you would have gotten a very nasty surprise. You get the stuck round out of the barrel yet?
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Your gun would explode. Your second bullet would have hit the first causing your 2nd bullet to expand in the barrel.

So if you can answer this you should be able to answer you own question.

What do you think would happen if you have a bullet expand in a barrel, at a high rate of speed? And once your barrel is blocked where do you think the gases will go?
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

It would have caused an overpressurization (exceeding SAAMI standards) and very likely a ruptured barrel. It was a round that had bad powder, was undercharged, or a squib (no powder at all). If you were shooting reloaded ammo you can check the other rounds by weighing them. If it was commercially produced you should contact the manufacturer with any data from the ammo box to notify them.

Administrator
    The best case scenario is that your barrel would be bulged if it didn't physically rupture but, the bulged barrel would not have allowed your slide to operate and you would be "out of the fight" (regardless) with that firearm...which would be rendered non-functional.
    One great reason to carry with only high quality ammunition since the overall quality control is much tighter.
    And also a great reason to have a knife on your person...and for you not to be wearing baggy pants constantly falling down your rump with no belt - so that you can burn shoe rubber when your gun fight instantly turns a life flight.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    It would have caused an overpressurization (exceeding SAAMI standards) and very likely a ruptured barrel. It was a round that had bad powder, was undercharged, or a squib (no powder at all). If you were shooting reloaded ammo you can check the other rounds by weighing them. If it was commercially produced you should contact the manufacturer with any data from the ammo box to notify them.
    seldom works cause the variance in case weights and bullet weights may exceed the 5 or so grains of powder in a assembled cartrage..
    if its factory and all the cases came from the same lot, it has a better chance of working.

-->never shoot faster than you can stop. (rules in a gun fight may be disregarded as deemed life saving)

so you did fine in that regard. 22's like in a single six often withstand repeated abuse but larger calibers, thinner bbls---not so well.
    Last edited by claude clay; March 15th, 2012 at 11:46 AM.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Good job of awareness!

It's pretty common for folks to cluelessly continue with shooting, not noting anything odd about a firearm's report. Amazingly enough, most handguns won't explode, the quality of most better 20th century and current handgun designs are engineered to afford a measure of protection to the shooter, but barrel damage will almost certainly occur in the form of either a bulge, a split, or occasionally a burst. The burst is the one that could offer the opportunity for injury to the shooter as it is obviously uncontrolled.

Almost...but not quite...nearly

A few years back I was experimenting with my old Webley Mark IV .455 from the Boer War, attempting to produce a very light target load suitable for range use that would be easy on the revolver. I obviously cut back a bit too much on the powder. The revolver did make a characteristic sickly cough, indicating that something was amiss with this particular shot. The bullet came so close to exiting the barrel but didn't quite make it. My brother-in-law and I were much amused at the bullet hanging out the muzzle. Out of the batch of 50 handloads I had two that stuck. The Webley is a snap to clear as one simply breaks open the revolver and taps the bullet out. I upped the powder charge a bit in order to avoid this problem. I also had this happen to me years ago when trying the same thing with the .38 Special, making very light loads and stuck a bullet. Also have experienced squib loads and stuck bullets with factory loads in both revolvers, a 1911, and several different .22 rifles and handguns over the years.

Here are a bunch of "fun" links related to bullets stuck in barrels. Some are forum threads with additional discussion or photos within.

It finally happened...the bulged barrel
    Bullet in The Barrel Bust! | Guns & Ammo
    Blazer Brass Ammo Warning - Gunner Forum
    Blackhawk barrel takes a beating | The Firearm Blog
    something went terribly wrong!
    Need help with a bulged barrel.

Here's a very entertaining selection of various rifles deliberately being fired with bullets stuck in their barrels under laboratory conditions. The text is Norwegian but the clips are instructive to watch. Only the third rifle, a Browning, burst with obvious risk of injury to any shooter that would have been firing it with such a blocked barrel as well as any bystander. Note how an obvious "knot" or bulge develops about an inch in front of the rear sight on the first rifle on the list, a Sako. All three Mannlicher rifles develop a bulge as well.
    Se filmer från sprängtesterna - testfakta.se
    gunthorp and claude clay like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    You would have a major problem just as others have said. Good thing you were paying attention.

Yep... good catch.

Do a google image search for "pistol kaboom" and you'll get a pretty good idea of what the results would have been.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Thanks for all the fast replies, that scary stuff. I'm glad I caught it, although it was not had to hear the difference. I did get the bullet out and was suprised as to how tight they are. The ammo was winchester "white box" for wally world. I have shot a ton of it and never had a problem both. Now I know, thanks

I just googled pistol kaboom, I think that really answered the question well.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Did you get the bullet out?

VIP Member
    I had an American Eagle 45 auto squib once. Fortunately the FMJ bullet didn't completely engrave, and the next round couldn't completely chamber. The slide stayed out of battery and prevented the gun from firing.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Yes I went home and got a punch and was able to remove it with no problems

I shoot WWB 9mm FMJ 115 for practice

not sure how you can detect a bad round other than using a sensitive scale and weighing it.

Claude Clay says it seldom works, have you tried? I guess you would have to empty the powder out of one and compare it against others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links