Is this Federal Hydra Shok Ammo? (PICTURE)

This is a discussion on Is this Federal Hydra Shok Ammo? (PICTURE) within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Cuda66 I wouldn't shoot somebody else's reloads that I knew nothing about...no way, no how. Sounds like the great and powerful Oz. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Is this Federal Hydra Shok Ammo? (PICTURE)

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    I wouldn't shoot somebody else's reloads that I knew nothing about...no way, no how.
    Sounds like the great and powerful Oz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    I wouldn't shoot somebody else's reloads that I knew nothing about...no way, no how.
    Me neither. Begging for trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by natimage View Post
    They may be Federal HST rounds actually...they look just like those. Basically they took the Hydra Shok and took out the post and cut expansion grooves in the bullet.
    That's what I was thinking too.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Sorry for the double.

My simple rule for reloaded ammo is to consider the worst case: Gun blows up and is ruined by the ammo. No company will cover reload damage. If you loaded it, you blame yourself and pay up. If a reputable remanufacturer loaded it, they will pay for the damage they caused. If you don't know, or remember who you got them from, or have doubts about their quality, don't shoot them. In your case you are risking a gun to save $20. Take them to a local gunsmith/gunshop, PD, or pull and recycle the metal and put your powder in the garden.

And before somebody says it, NO, you can't put them in water or spray WD40/Hoppes/Gunscrubber on them and deactivate them. Not gonna happen.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

They may be Federal HST rounds actually...they look just like those. Basically they took the Hydra Shok and took out the post and cut expansion grooves in the bullet.
    I don't think so. I believe they are Remington Golden Saber. The HST slits are vertical, longer, and not as pronounced as the GS slits. The bes Photos I have found of different rounds are Here (link) . You can click on the photos and get even closer. Based on that, the rounds shown are GS.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    If you’re not sure get a scale and weigh them out and see if they are consistent
    Trying to weigh completed rounds to compare powder load is almost always a crap-shoot. Unless the you're talking about factory loads (maybe), or a very precise hand-loader who batches weighed brass and bullets (unlikely), your numbers will be +/- as much as the entire powder load.

Nope (on both counts).

Notice how the scoring in the jacket is curved? HST is straight.

And--the HST is not simply a HydraShok with the post removed. It's actually closer to their older Hi-Shock than anything else (hence HST--Hi-Shock Two)
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Thanks for the replies

I firstly wanted to thank everyone for helping me identify these handloads.

Thanks to some of the links - I feel pretty comfortable in saying the bullets are Rem Golden Sabre, and the Casing is Federal.

I think the best advice was the simplest. Is a box full of unknown handloads worth the chance at Kaboom on my $800 S&W. Not for me atleast.

Again, thanks to everyone who chimed in.
    Jeff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links