[School me] "sniper" pistol ammunition

This is a discussion on [School me] "sniper" pistol ammunition within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One would choose the proper tool for the job at hand. It's oxymoronic to attempt to qualify a handgun to a sniping role....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: [School me] "sniper" pistol ammunition

One would choose the proper tool for the job at hand. It's oxymoronic to attempt to qualify a handgun to a sniping role.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    One would choose the proper tool for the job at hand. It's oxymoronic to attempt to qualify a handgun to a sniping role.
    Yes, I know. That's not the question. I'm not asking "should I use my sub2000 or my 30-06 for a long-distance shot?" We all know the answer to that question! :)
    Mental illness incidents are used to threaten gun rights.
    The March of Dimes headed off the Universal Iron Lung coverage debate, just sayin'.
    Alternately, for those with a toolshed and ideas.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    Yeah, the 5.7 certainly inspired my thinking before I asked this question. The 5.7 p90 is a carbine with good range, but the 5.7 underperforms at 'short' ranges in many ways compared to other potential pistol-cartridge carbines. The 5.7 really takes advantage of its small caliber compared to the cartridge length
    There are some hand guns out there that shoot the .22LR mag. They have almost the same or in some cases better balistics than the 5.7. Check out the Kel Tec PMR 30 22LR mag with 30 round mags. I was told these are backordered. Looks like a neat pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    My quote #8 says "it is a pistol that shoots rifle ammo." Where did I ever call it a pistol cartridge? The fiveseveN has the necked down case. It shoots the .223 bullet without a boatail. However if you are careful you could load a boatail bullet if you wanted to.
    The M1 Carbine ammo is not necked down like almost every other type rifle ammo. Looks very similar to pistol ammo, in fact in several loading manuals refer to it as a "pistol type".

I am very sorry for any misunderstanding.
    Just because a round is straightwalled, it does not mean it's a pistol cartridge. For that matter, just because a cartridge is bottlenecked, it does not automatically mean it is a rifle round (.357 Sig, .30 Luger, and 7.62x25, for example).

If that was true, then a .45-70 is a pistol cartridge...and while there are some pistols in that caliber, it does not mean it's a pistol round.
    Last edited by Cuda66; March 16th, 2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: added another example
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Just to "stir the pot" you might want to take a look at the 7.62x25mm. I certainly wouldn't classify it as a sniper round, but it has quite respectable ballistics.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    There are some hand guns out there that shoot the .22LR mag. They have almost the same or in some cases better balistics than the 5.7.
    Where do you get that a .22Mag has "the same or in some cases better ballistics than the 5.7" out of a handgun?

2000 fps for a 40gr. 5.7 yields almost triple the energy vs. a 40gr. .22Mag at 1200 fps. I wouldn't call it "almost the same."

Regards,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    Sorry, is that an inappropriate question for this forum?
    I don't feel like there is any inappropriate question for this forum...this site is a great resource and full of people with a huge knowledge of all kinds of stuff...if it involves self defense or anything close I'd say its ok to ask, chances are someone here can help or tell u how to find out!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hammer2213 View Post
    I don't feel like there is any inappropriate question for this forum...this site is a great resource and full of people with a huge knowledge of all kinds of stuff...if it involves self defense or anything close I'd say its ok to ask, chances are someone here can help or tell u how to find out!
    Post something about the constitutionality of certain LE practices, or an update on a particular Florida shooting and see how things go.
    Harryball likes this.

Lead Moderator
    The closest you are going to get in a "normal" pistol round is National Match. I've seen National Match ammo in .22, .38, .45, and 9MM. There may be more...
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

This came up in a book I just read by Brad Thor (State of the Union, I believe). The opposition, a Russian former Spetsnaz type, used a concealable 'short range' sniper weapon in 9mm.

This was fiction of course but it made me wonder just for entertainment reasons, why one would choose 9mm in that scenario?

1) subsonic loads are widely used and available
    2) the lower pressure round (compared to rifle rounds anyway) would allow for a smaller framed weapon, perhaps with a detachable barrel or something
    3) the round being heavier than a 22lr or mag will penetrate better within a certain range
    4) with a collapsible stock, hi cap mag, and an interchangeable barrel a quick change to CQB would be possible
    5) while subsonic, you still want a flat shooter to maximize accuracy at whatever range this device would have

After thinking about it, I do see the usefulness for the characters and storyline in the book. I also think 9mm would fit the bill.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Post something about the constitutionality of certain LE practices, or an update on a particular Florida shooting and see how things go.
    I met along the lines of technical questions, not politics or anything like that.

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

There are instances where a long range shot would be applicable to SD, but you are thinking right in the wrong direction.
    Answer here is to carry a caliber/cartridge that gives it to you without carryin round a bunch of extra switch out stuff.

Now, all day long, that means only several options. The best I can think of is buy a Glock 10mm, get you a 9x25 Dillon barrel, and a visit to Double Taps website. You will find the 9x25 Dillon cartridges loaded with 9mm bullets that have a MV of up to 2000 fps. There ain't much drop from contact to 150 yards with that cartridge.

Another consideration might be a 9x23 Winchester, which is another hot 9mm loading.
    The 357 Sig, while significantly underpowered compared to the above mentioned is a flat shooter.

Or, you could just learn the cartridge you now have by practicing at distance.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Oh yeah, the 38Super is a good one too.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Where do you get that a .22Mag has "the same or in some cases better ballistics than the 5.7" out of a handgun?

2000 fps for a 40gr. 5.7 yields almost triple the energy vs. a 40gr. .22Mag at 1200 fps. I wouldn't call it "almost the same."

Regards,
    Jim
    Jim

I did not believe it myself, Hornady has some new 22LR mag. You should be able to find a few published results. Problem is the pistol (Kel Tec ) is deep in back orders. If I come accross it I will post it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links