Neighborhood Squirrel Huntin' - Page 2

Neighborhood Squirrel Huntin'

This is a discussion on Neighborhood Squirrel Huntin' within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mano3 Our neighborhood is basically overrun with squirrels - they're everywhere, even in my attic! I spoke with my local police chief ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Neighborhood Squirrel Huntin'

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    Our neighborhood is basically overrun with squirrels - they're everywhere, even in my attic!

I spoke with my local police chief and she granted me permission (with a permit) to discharge my shotgun within the city limits at the little tree rats.

I did some poking around on the Internet and it seems that #6 shot is the best to use. Could I go smaller?
    I hate to be a party pooper, but you should realize that the local chief's permission (by permit) will not shield you from any civil liability should one of those several dozen pellets hit a window or, worse, hit someone. I'm not even sure it would shield you from criminal liability if someone were injured. And to be quite frank, if I had a neighbor shooting a shotgun, I'd do everything (legally) to stop it.

Just sayin'. Maybe you should just become a better shot with that crosman, or perhaps buy some traps.
    suntzu likes this.

I don't know how close your neighbors are, but I find the .17HMR to be the bomb for small rodents.

It's very accurate, and the 17 grain bullet is very frangible.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    I hate to be a party pooper, but you should realize that the local chief's permission (by permit) will not shield you from any civil liability should one of those several dozen pellets hit a window or, worse, hit someone. I'm not even sure it would shield you from criminal liability if someone were injured. And to be quite frank, if I had a neighbor shooting a shotgun, I'd do everything (legally) to stop it.

Just sayin'. Maybe you should just become a better shot with that crosman, or perhaps buy some traps.
    That is a good point. I mean where are these rodents where you can legaly shoot anyway? I NH you can't shoot with 15 ft of road or across one or within 300 ft of a dwelling without that persons permission. I don't beleive a permit from the chief would excempt me from state laws.

VIP Member
    I'd personally get a trap up in the attic, and bait it with some peanuts and corn kernels.

Then dispatch them in the garage(or a sympathetic neighbors garage, should you not have one) with a high-power air rifle.

I know I wouldn't go Elmer Fudd on the neighborhood.
    Itchin' for trouble and snide remarks.
    Last edited by oneshot; March 17th, 2012 at 09:14 PM.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I understand and approve of the OP seeking and obtaining permission. I live in a small, very firearms oriented community. The local police chief would prefer not to even know about the discreet use of low-powered air rifles or .22s for pest control despite any ordinances on the books. A blind eye is turned. The odd report of a .22 infrequently echoes around here due to attempts of homeowners to keep down populations of squirrels and feral cats. Of course it requires common sense anytime a firearm is used in town. The shotgun, fired upward so that the very small shot such as No. 9 only rains down as spent pellets, would be safest in my view. Discharging a single pellet or .22 bullet carries more risk of striking something unintentionally with possibly disastrous adverse consequences. Ricochets are problematic as well. Property damage or injury could result.

Discharging a single projectile or even the shotgun with small shot at an oblique angle is ill-advised. It would be very difficult to find an appropriate shot to take in a residential area which makes the shotgun aimed straight up at a squirrel look all the more attractive. Of course the report of a shotgun being fired in town will be an intrusive annoyance to the neighbors and that is something consider.

Case in point about the effectiveness of paltry small bore projectiles. My parents still live in the rural locale where I grew up. Feral roaming dogs are a constant problem. My dad began seeing a german shepard hanging about the stock tank down the hill from their house. Sometimes he takes out the obvious miscreant mongrels and sometimes he gives them a pass if he thinks they could belong to someone down the road. In this instance he only intended to frighten the dog away by shooting nearby so took up his Winchester Model 67, loaded it with a piddling .22 CB cap, aimed near the dog which was around 100 yards from the back door, and lobbed the tiny low-velocity bullet in close proximity. Well, he lobbed the bullet too close for after a rather long interval in which the bullet traveled the distance, the dog gave a startled yelp, ran around and around in a tight circle and fell down stone dead. My dad couldn't even discover where the bullet struck the dog after an examination. Now, I wouldn't choose a CB cap to deal with a 75 lb. dog at short range yet it felled that dog after traveling a good distance and having probably no more remaining energy than a .22 caliber pellet rifle.

Place such a scenario in a suburban residential area and substitute a child for a dog and see the tragedy that would result.

A couple of years ago I tried control shooting with a similar CB cap. A feral tom cat was pestering and messing things up around the yard and causing a nightly scene by beating up on the neighbor's kitten so I decided to take steps. I placed the CB cap in the longest-barreled .22 rifle I have, a 24-inch barreled target rifle, so as to minimize the report to the fullest and caught the cat just outside the back door at the bottom of some steps. I was firing directly down on him. It was dark but I didn't turn on the outside light, relying on the light emitted from the kitchen to give enough illumination. I didn't consider that the aperture of the target sight wouldn't be the best choice for shooting in dim light so just looked along side the barrel at the cat less than 10 feet away and fired. The startled cat fell all over himself making a rapid escape.

A few days later I was traveling the street a block behind my house and saw him skitter across in front of the pickup. A long red scab from the furrow the CB cap plowed in the top of his head from just above his right eye toward the top of the back of his head was apparent.

Stronger measures were called for and I began to bait him with a small bowl of food placed just beyond the backdoor steps. This was done each morning just after my wife left for her office. Behind it I placed a series of 1X12 stub ends of some lumber I'd cut for a closet remodel project to receive a bullet fired at the cat as he was at the bow. After a few days he was there each morning for the groceries. so one morning I left the back door open, set up a shooting point in the dining room adjacent to the kitchen, loaded a Remington Model 41 with a .22 Long Rifle standard velocity target round featuring a solid bullet and waited. I purposely didn't choose any hollow point ammunition as it is all high-velocity and gives a louder report.

He showed up and I fired down half the length of the dining room, through the door leading into the kitchen, out the back door and through his skull. He never knew what hit him. The bullet only penetrated one of the 1X12 scraps, burying up in a second board after penetrating the cat's head. The sound of the shot was somewhat baffled from being fired from the interior of the house.

I didn't know our neighbors behind us back then and didn't know what they would think about backyard shooting. A year or two later I found out they approved heartily of ridding the neighborhood of excessive critters and weren't above taking the odd pot shot themselves.

Trapping is easier. I only resorted to the rifle or the pellet gun because I'd lent my live trap to my dad for his efforts to control the skunks, 'possums, and 'coons that accumulate around their place. Since my parents live 3 hours away it was easier just to go buy a new live trap. That way the critters can be discreetly spirited away and dealt with outside of town. We have animal control but their not much concerned with offering assistance and don't care if trapped critters just disappear.

Squirrels may be easily trapped too. Just leave a few pinches of white bread out for them to find. After a few days add the live trap to the location with a piece of bread inside as bait. Squirrels will be had in such a manner and it beats shooting in town.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Bought some sub-sonic .22 rounds today. What exactly is the difference in them from regular .22s?

PS: I'm well aware of the safety issues in town and basically have narrowed my shooting windows to just a few spots. I appreciate everyone's concern!
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

They are short cases with less powder charge. Weaker round. I've shot a 4 lb metal coffee can with them before and they didn't penetrate, only dented the can. They are quieter. A semi-auto will not cycle with them tho. They don't have enough charge to cycle the bolt. They are best used in a bolt action or lever action (or any other manual action) gun.
    mano3 likes this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

7 1/2 with a 20 gauge; less damage with the fall out

Get a Conibear aka body grip trap. Glue an acorn to the trigger wire. Done.

1:10 starts the action

BEST SQUIRREL TRAP CONIBEAR BODY TRAP - YouTube

The Conibears are designed for the animal to pass through. This is two kill points. One set breaks the neck and the other breaks the spine. Very quick kill. In this setup, it only breaks the neck, which may take longer to kill. This is much cheaper than any weapon and is much quieter.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links