Neighborhood Squirrel Huntin'

This is a discussion on Neighborhood Squirrel Huntin' within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Our neighborhood is basically overrun with squirrels - they're everywhere, even in my attic! I spoke with my local police chief and she granted me ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Neighborhood Squirrel Huntin'

Our neighborhood is basically overrun with squirrels - they're everywhere, even in my attic!

I spoke with my local police chief and she granted me permission (with a permit) to discharge my shotgun within the city limits at the little tree rats.

I did some poking around on the Internet and it seems that #6 shot is the best to use. Could I go smaller?
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

A shotgun for pest control in a neighborhood? What about a good .177 or .22 air rifle or 10/22?

Speaking from experience, if they are in your attic the shotgun isn't gonna help much. You need a critter control guy to get them out and exclude them.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    A shotgun for pest control in a neighborhood? What about a good .177 or .22 air rifle or 10/22?
    That's why I'm thinking smaller shot. Plus, I'm tired of missing with the Crossman!
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Just pick up a case of birdshot from Wal-Fart. It's cheap for 100 rounds and it'll eliminate squirrels assuming you're within a reasonable range.

From experience, a 20 gauge with #3 buckshot turns 1 squirrel into 2 squirrels.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Back when I was younger and hunted squirrels, we always used #5's. You could use smaller if you want...maybe like 7 1/2's or 8's just remember the smaller shot will lose it's "umph" quicker when shooting longer distances. They're not particularly hard to kill.
    One word of caution...be sure they're dead before you pick one up...it'd be like grabbing ahold of a sewing machine.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You sure could go smaller than No. 6 shot. Since gratefully, you were giving permission to discharge your shotgun in town, your neighbors would be grateful and you'd minimize any liability issues to nothing if you slapped those squirrels up side their heads with a swarm of No. 9s from a skeet load. The squirrel will not know the difference and the tiny shot won't harm anyone or anything when it falls back to earth down the block.

Have fresh experience with this. We were visiting my parents just this past weekend and my dad handed me a 12 gauge shotgun, slid open the window and asked me to take out a squirrel in their front yard. The load was a Winchester AA skeet load of No. 9 shot. Squirrel was 20 yards away and DRT. My parents live in a rural area so any sort of gun would have been fine but the small shot indisputably worked well.

My dad has sustained some damage to the gabled end of their house by squirrels. My sister's Jeep Cherokee sustained $1200 worth of wiring harness damage from a chewing squirrel some years ago.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

My nephew had 10 of them in his attic. He used a .410 since he was shooting from only about 25ft. He put a lawn chair outside where the hole into the attic was and spent about 3 hours just sitting and waiting. He ended up getting all of them and closing the hole in the attic. They get hot and thirsty in the attics and come out frequently for water. The shotgun noise only scares them for a few minutes. He just sat very still. He has a 1 story home so the attic opening was only about 14ft off the ground.

I,ve had a boat load of tree rats untill a family of Redtail Hawks moved in. Now very few are left ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

No matter what shot size you use, you are going to have a heck of a time repairing your ceiling.
    goldshellback likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    Shotgun in a neighborhood with houses around? NO WAY!

I had a bunch of Douglas squirrels that also got in my attic and walls. I used a 22 rifle with a scope. So far I am 19 squirrels for 22 shots... But I also live in the country... They seem to gather near my bird feeder... gets them every time...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Yep, definitely go with smaller shot, unless you plan on eatin' 'em. Like bmcgilvray suggests, even a skeet load (#9 shot) will do fine out to 20 yards and a little more.

Personally, I like the challenge of head shots with a good, scoped air rifle. My little half acre back in NW CT had some ancient oak trees and a bunch of maples, so the yard was home to dozens if not scores of squirrels. I'd have fun chasing squirrels from limb to limb and tree to tree, then finally nail 'em before they were out of sight or out of range. There's a distinctive sound that a solid hit make, followed a second or two later with 'plop' when Mr. Bushytail hit the ground. Chew toys for my Lab!
    bmcgilvray and WHEC724 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Squirrel, along with fresh venison are my wife's two favorite wild game meats. We enjoy chowing down on squirrel. My wife tore the back page of an old Gun's & Ammo or Shooting times ad from about 1980 to keep the Marlin advertisement for their .22s that gave the recipe for "Smokey Mountain squirrel casserole. She made it up once and we found out it was a really good way to prepare them. I've not really located a good squirrel hunting spot since we moved farther west in Texas a few years back. There are so few squirrels on our old home place I kind of hate to bother them.

Smitty's right. Squirrels are most fun when hunted (or sniped in the back yard) with a small-bore rifle. Good air rifles are plenty with good hits. Years ago I trimmed a squirrel off a telephone wire over my grandparents' driveway with a Daisy BB gun my grandfather kept for the purpose. It worked at 10 yards but a Daisy BB gun is a bit weak to really be considered effective squirrel medicine.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    .22 sub-sonic rounds are just the trick for picking them off in the neighborhood.

With a scope, head shots are easy pickings. No need to be putting out flak bursts - just one shot, one kill.

mano3 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links