Best Personal Defense Ammo & Grain ? - Page 2

Best Personal Defense Ammo & Grain ?

This is a discussion on Best Personal Defense Ammo & Grain ? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Try checking the ballistic numbers of Buffalo Bore ammo, compare it to anything else, then form your own opinion on what's the most effective SD ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Best Personal Defense Ammo & Grain ?

Try checking the ballistic numbers of Buffalo Bore ammo, compare it to anything else, then form your own opinion on what's the most effective SD round.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    If you take note in the link I provided it stated the following:Self-defense ammunition is a field in which improvements are continually taking place. In order to keep this article timely, in February 2006 and August 2011 I took the liberty of revising some sections in minor ways to keep them up to date and to include recent information.
    Ammunition For The Self-Defense Firearm
    Crowman, that article is so full of bad, and just plain false information, it's really not even funny. And even though Hacks claims to have updated (ooh! I see he added .327 mag!), he does not even acknowledge the existence of latest generation JHPs such as HST, Corbon DPX and Ranger-T in the service calibers...and his statement of never using a 147gr 9mm round is just plain wrong. It might have been slightly valid ten years ago, but no longer.

Also, the way he sticks exclusively to lightweight screamers show's he's real impressed by kinetic energy, and that's been shown time and time again to be one of the poorest methods of judging a cartridge's effectiveness.

But what really shows the article isn't even worth the bandwidth to pull it up is the mentioning of Marshal & Sanow in the first couple paragraphs. This proves it's not to be taken seriously.

The reason the author of the article is anonymous is because he didn't want his name associated with that steaming pile of dreck.

See the link I posted earlier if you want information on actual up to date ammo.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

The following loads all demonstrate outstanding terminal performance and can be considered acceptable for duty/self-defense use:

9 mm:
    Barnes XPB 105 & 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)
    Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
    Winchester Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)
    Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)
    Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
    Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)
    Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)
    Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)
    Winchester 147 gr bonded JHP (RA9B/Q4364)
    Thoughts on Service Pistols, along with Duty and Self-Defense Ammo Recommendations - M4Carbine.net Forums

about that author:

Dr. Roberts is currently on staff at Stanford University Medical Center; this is a large teaching
    hospital and Level I Trauma center were he performs hospital dentistry and surgery. After
    completing his residency at Navy Hospital Oakland in 1989 while on active military duty, he studied
    at the Army Wound Ballistic Research Laboratory at the Letterman Army Institute of Research and
    became one of the first members of the International Wound Ballistic Association. Since then, he
    has been tasked with performing military, law enforcement, and privately funded independent
    wound ballistic testing and analysis. He remains a Navy Reserve officer and has recently served
    on the Joint Service Wound Ballistic IPT, as well as being a consultant to the Joint FBI-USMC
    munitions testing program and the TSWG MURG program. He is frequently asked to provide wound
    ballistic technical assistance to numerous U.S. and allied SOF units and organizations. In addition,
    he is a technical advisor to the Association of Firearms and Toolmark Examiners, as well as to a
    variety of Federal, State, and municipal law enforcement agencies. He has been a sworn Reserve
    Police Officer in the San Francisco Bay Area, where he now he serves in an LE training role.

My criteria for "best" carry ammo:
    Fires and cycles 100% of the time from my weapon.
    Hollowpoints preffered, but I've carried FMJs with no reservations.
    Inexpensive. I can't/won't spend $1/round + on 9mm ammo.
    My XD is currently loaded with 147 grn WWB JHPs, approx $22-23/ box o fifty.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

I agree with shot placement as the key with follow up shots as the close second for defensive rounds. I am currently using Federal HST 124g 9mm+p and love them. I have tried other rounds with and without +P between 115g and 124g, but not anything heavier. However, I did just purchase the Hornady Critical Duty at 135g 9mm +p. Haven't shot them yet, but I hear good thing about them. I own a XD 9 4" barrel and the handgun has fed and fired everything I load.

I use Winchester Ranger 230gr for my Glock 21SF
    Stops Jihad on Contact

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links