Best Personal Defense Ammo & Grain ?

Best Personal Defense Ammo & Grain ?

This is a discussion on Best Personal Defense Ammo & Grain ? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From what I understand here on DC ... ( and again this all opinions ). 1. Winn. Ranger T +9+ 2. Federal HST +p And ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Best Personal Defense Ammo & Grain ?

Question Best Personal Defense Ammo & Grain ?

From what I understand here on DC ... ( and again this all opinions ).

1. Winn. Ranger T +9+

2. Federal HST +p

And I understand this is " Law Enforcement Ammo ".

My Question is -- What's the better grain? 146 Grain or 124 Grain?

Fyi: Guns: Baretta 92FS 9MM ( and Walther PPk/S 380 ).

Thanks in Advance.

AMMUNITION FOR THE SELF-DEFENSE FIREARM
    Ammunition For The Self-Defense Firearm
    JCabranes likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Hello Crowman: With respect, the linked article you provided is over 10 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
    Hello Crowman: With respect, the linked article you provided is over 10 years old.
    Interesting...Try this one - it was updated in February, and is generally considered a good reference.

You will find lots of opinions on the what the best weight (grains) and bullet to carry. These are only opinions. There are numerous threads on the "best personal defense ammo". Here is one and here is one talking about 380.

I have no idea what "law enforcement" ammo means, other than marketing talk, and possibly that it meets certain FBI requirements. Other ammo could also meet or exceed these requirements. Some ammo, like the two you referenced, are not generally sold through consumer distribution channels, and are harder to find, and often out of stock. And when you want to know where to buy ammo, try this post.

Pretty much like anything else, I believe that defensive ammo is very subjective to the gun that you are shooting it from and the comfort level of the shooter itself. IMO ONLY, in my 92FS (which is no longer my carry weapon), I shoot Cor-bon 115g +p. I like the way it shoots, the recoil and re acquision is very smooth and normal for my shooting habits.

Now my CCW gun and ammo of choice has been;
    - SIG 228, with Cor-Bon 115g +P, which again, I've grown accustom to.... however,
    - My Glock 26, I use Speer Gold Dot 124g +P, which I'm VERY HAPPY with and will probably start using in my 228

Do you reseach, read the review and Try...try...try.... to see what feels comfortable with you and your weapon....

sgb
    In 9mm I prefer the 147gr HST. However I'm happy loaded with any round that passes the FBI/DOJ Protocol.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

As others will also state, the most important thing is trying out different rounds to make sure that whatever you choose will cycle reliably in your carry gun. I think as long as you stick with the tried and true names out there, Speer, Cor-Bon, Hornady, Ranger, etc. you won't go wrong.

Also, don't hesitate to do a little searching. There's a lot of info out there (even on here) on this subject.

Which for HD? high velocity/lighter grain or Low velocity/heavier bullet and why?

What grain 9mm?

bullet grain vs. fps?

Best Self Defense 9mm ammo

when considering defense ammo..

Hope this helps!

-C
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

RKM
    I use 124gr HST. I'm likely to switch to some 147gr or 147 +P round. Probably stick with HST or Gold Dot's.

In .45, I really like the 185gr +P DPX. If they made this bullet in 230gr, it would be tough to beat. It's already tough to beat at only 185gr. Even in 9mm the 115gr +P DPX is a good round. Barnes bullets used in the Cor-Bon DPX loads are the only lightweight rounds I think are sufficient. They provide deep penetration despite their lightweight, and very reliable expansion through a variety of barriers.

But really, you put any bullet in the right spot, you're likely to have good results. Even the "best" rounds have failures to stop.

Bullet weight is appropriate as a substitute for grain.

I like bullets on the heavier end of the range of bullet weights available for a given cartridge. Any hollow point that can be demonstrated to work effectively is fine in automatics. Sharp-shouldered semi-wadcutter bullets, with or without hollow point, are really great in revolvers.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Didn't we go through all this before, and pretty much try and tell you there is no such thing as "best"?

Again, I refer you to this:

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

And advise you to try one of the rounds listed, take a couple boxes to the range and see if your pistol likes it and you think it's controllable and accurate, and stop worrying about what's "best".

Personally, I prefer the standard pressure 147gr 9mm loads, but that's me--YOU have to decide what's best for YOU.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Why.... WHYYY?! Would you start this thread?
    mano3 likes this.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

Quote Originally Posted by MisterAvis View Post
    Why.... WHYYY?! Would you start this thread?
    Because it's never been done before.

In my 9s, I prefer 124+P Ranger Ts and 124 standard Gold Dots. There is a very good, tactically sound, law abiding reason for my choices: I can get them locally.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
    If you take note in the link I provided it stated the following:Self-defense ammunition is a field in which improvements are continually taking place. In order to keep this article timely, in February 2006 and August 2011 I took the liberty of revising some sections in minor ways to keep them up to date and to include recent information.
    Ammunition For The Self-Defense Firearm
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Speer Gold Dot 147 gr; Remington Gold Saber 147 gr; Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr; Fed Premium HST 147 gr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links