Corbon

This is a discussion on Corbon within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I prefer Corbon DPX. All others are jacketed, DPX is solid copper. I like the advantages of solid copper. I also like how DPX has ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Corbon

I prefer Corbon DPX. All others are jacketed, DPX is solid copper. I like the advantages of solid copper. I also like how DPX has the bullet crimp for auto's.
    sgb likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Hi Snakyjake;

What are the advantages of solid copper?

The only Corbon I've ever tried was a 230 grain jacketed hollow point .45 ACP load. I got enough to test for function in several different .45 ACP handguns. Function was great all around and the ammo seemed potent. I have just enough left for a chronograph test but the ammo is now several years old and probably discontinued in favor for an improved product.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Advantages of solid copper:

Solid barrier penetration (bone, glass, etc).
    Consistency/Reliability (solid copper performs the same consistently, jacketed lead does not).
    No jacket/core separation.
    Doesn't deform like lead.
    No weight loss.
    Better performance by bullet weight from copper than lead.

After looking at several photos going through barriers comparing solid copper with jacketed lead, I like how the solid copper bullets look and performed.

Corbon DPX also has the bullet crimp (cannelure) so there is less of a problem if you cycle the cartridge.

Corbon DPX crimp in middle of casing?
    Re-chambering a round can cause problems

At some point you have to choose your ammo. The above reasons give me the confidence in my choice. Plus I simply like their engineering work.

Jake
    sgb likes this.

VIP Member
    I use DPX in everything. John Farnum has done a lot of testing with it with good results.
    sgb likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I currently run Corbon Powr'ball in my sig. Feeds great which is a huge plus because my sig is a picky eater. Its a +p round has good penetration and reliable expansion.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    The only place where it expands 100% of the time is in Hornady's advertising claims.

There are numerous examples of CD failing to expand, especially after hitting cloth.
    Cuda, I respect and enjoy reading your thoughts and insight, so know that I'm not trying to put you on the spot here, but I have not been able to find any literature indicating this round failing as you have stated.. If you would, please link to some examples for the H CD not performing as advertised. I for one would like to see them so I can evaluate the rounds performance. I have three boxes of the stuff and have yet to load it up for use. Everything I can see on it shows it working perfectly.

I have my PPS stoked with the Cor Bon 125gr +p JHP and my CM9 is loaded with the 124gr +p Gold Dot Short barrel stuff. I carry a spare mag of the 147 gr Golden Saber for each pistol, but really like the idea of the 115gr CD ammo if it functions as advertised. Anyway, I'd appreciate your findings on the CD stuff.

Thanks!
    Last edited by gottabkiddin; March 22nd, 2012 at 12:14 PM.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I've carried Cor Bons for as long as I can remember. When I favored .40s, it was their 135 grn +P load. Now that I just carry .45s, it's their 185 +P load. Recoil's a tad bit sharper than some other +P loads, but when I need them, recoil will be the last thing on my mind.
    BigRay

Springfield TRP Armory Kote, Springfield Trophy Match, Sig Sauer P220R SAO, Glock 35 with Heinie Slant Pro sights, Springfield Armory XDs 45, S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun, PTR-91F in 7.62mm NATO, Springfield M1A1, Sig 556 Patrol Rifle and Benelli M2 with 10-round magazine

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Cuda, I respect and enjoy reading your thoughts and insight, so know that I'm not trying to put you on the spot here, but I have not been able to find any literature indicating this round failing as you have stated.. If you would, please link to some examples for the H CD not performing as advertised. I for one would like to see them so I can evaluate the rounds performance. I have three boxes of the stuff and have yet to load it up for use. Everything I can see on it shows it working perfectly.

I have my PPS stoked with the Cor Bon 125gr +p JHP and my CM9 is loaded with the 124gr +p Gold Dot Short barrel stuff. I carry a spare mag of the 147 gr Golden Saber for each pistol, but really like the idea of the 115gr CD ammo if it functions as advertised. Anyway, I'd appreciate your findings on the CD stuff.

Thanks!
    This is the first one I could find...there are others out there.

38GDvsDPXHornady.jpg

Top is bare gel; bottom 4 layer denim. Left to right, Speer Gold Dot, CorBon DPX, Hornady HCD.

Source: <b>.38spl: Hornady FTX vs. Speer 135gr GDHP vs. CorBon 110gr DPX</b>

They did say that Hornady was notified, and the next batch received perfromed better...but...that makes me question whether those were tweaked loads.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    This is the first one I could find...there are others out there.

38GDvsDPXHornady.jpg

Top is bare gel; bottom 4 layer denim. Left to right, Speer Gold Dot, CorBon DPX, Hornady HCD.

Source: <b>.38spl: Hornady FTX vs. Speer 135gr GDHP vs. CorBon 110gr DPX</b>

They did say that Hornady was notified, and the next batch received perfromed better...but...that makes me question whether those were tweaked loads.
    Thanks for that information...

I fond this very interesting... from the link...
    While the Gold Dots were acceptable in bare gel, the 4 layer denim test was an unexpected and heretofore unseen disaster, with the NO test shots exhibiting adequate expansion. The inconsistent velocity with overly large spread was of significant concern and likely plays a role in this failure.

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

sgb
    The Corbon DPX loads are quiet formidable. However they are the only Corbon Loads I'd carry.
    gunthorp likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by JAMPGE View Post
    I currently run Corbon Powr'ball in my sig. Feeds great which is a huge plus because my sig is a picky eater. Its a +p round has good penetration and reliable expansion.
    When my EDC was my 1911 the Powr'ball was my choice also. Some 1911's feed ramps are picky with JHP's so the Powr'Ball gave me confidence that I wouldn't have any feeding issues in a SHTF scenario.

Water Jug Expansion test

“Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I have a good amount of Critical Defense and my son told me to try Barnes Vortex. I did in my 45 colt and I have now ordered it for all my handguns

Quote Originally Posted by snakyjake View Post
    I prefer Corbon DPX. All others are jacketed, DPX is solid copper. I like the advantages of solid copper. I also like how DPX has the bullet crimp for auto's.
    I heard alot about this round as I might have to look at this tommorrow.

VIP Member
    The +P 185gr 45 DPX turns my 3" Kimber into a 10mm. Some of John Farnum's quips regarding DPX can be found here.

Gunthorp Ammunition Basics
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links