Disappointed with LGS

Disappointed with LGS

This is a discussion on Disappointed with LGS within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I say that I'm disappointed with a LGS but in truth I'm more saddened by the treatment I've received that only two times I've stopped ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TVille
  • 1 Post By WHEC724

Thread: Disappointed with LGS

Disappointed with LGS

I say that I'm disappointed with a LGS but in truth I'm more saddened by the treatment I've received that only two times I've stopped at the gun store. The owner (or I assume he's the owner) has waited on me twice. The first about 3 months ago and he was extremely reluctant (I think I wrote about it in another thread) to take the time to show me handguns.

I was 'in the mood' and most likely would have walked out with a new weapon if he'd been anywhere near interested in showing me anything. He appeared very busy and even though I was the only one in the store he seemed distracted. I lost the vibe and thanked him and left after I looked at a couple guns.

Yesterday I happened to stop in because I needed to pick up some HP's in 9mm. He was very quick to offer assistance this time and I told him what I was looking for. He took me to the only hp in 9mm that he had in stock which was Federal Guard Dog Home Defense. I'd never seen these before and asked him about them.

He explained the premise of them being polymer filled JHP which would aid in expansion and load reliably. Seemed ok to me....but I asked if he had anything else as I'd never heard of these. He looked around and had nothing else in a hollow point. Here's where I lost faith in anything he said....and correct my thinking if he was telling the truth, but he went on to tell me how a lot of people wear light body armor and that these penetrate those. "Wow, really"? I asked, and then he went on to tell me how the cops hate this round.

BS detector went off. I thanked him and said I'd do some research. The research that I have done makes it look like a neat little round but not my first choice of carry round.

I'm thinking I'll steer totally clear of this shop unless somebody can direct me to something that says he's not full of it.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Quote Originally Posted by Okemo View Post
    .... Here's where I lost faith in anything he said....and correct my thinking if he was telling the truth, but he went on to tell me how a lot of people wear light body armor and that these penetrate those. "Wow, really"? I asked, and then he went on to tell me how the cops hate this round.

BS detector went off. I thanked him and said I'd do some research. The research that I have done makes it look like a neat little round but not my first choice of carry round.
    "A lot of people wear light body armor"? really? Is he kidding? Unless a light jacket is "body armor" in his book, your BS detector is calibrated correctly.
    tkruf likes this.

VIP Member
    I try not to hold being a mindless-blathering-toolbag against the guy behind the gun case. Good help is hard to find, and I'm really not going to rely on advice from a stranger in my choice of firearms nor ammunition.

I look at the prices and what they have to offer, and if they'll negotiate if necessary. I'm buying a gun, not a relationship.

Now if they're rude, or dangerous in the weapon handling, I'm out of there and wont be back.
    Bad Bob likes this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    there are 6 LGS's within 30 minutes. 5 of them are overall good and excel in many areas. crucial areas being a good stock of-- handguns, long guns, shotguns---new & used; accessories --glass, red-dot, laser, holsters, supplies for cleaning & targets--paper & reactive; milserps and ammo--plinking, practice & a few SD to choose from.

thats a lot of stuff---and i do not expect any one store to have all of that.....did i mention a 'smithy to mount the scopes and do little things cause
    you buy it and walk out the store with it put on for you that makes a few dollars more (than on-line) worth it times 2.

to have all of that and the best price----so i shop with a list and go to 2 or 3 every few weeks. in defense of Cabelas ( though their continued growth broks good something...)
    if you have their Visa and collect the points (YMMV--but if you pay online with the card it adds up; and 2% in the store), wait for a sale combined with a "spend so much-get so much "
    ( usually works out to a 25% discount) coupon in the mail. so they may start with the highest price, but...

and we want good service. last few weeks the stores have been busy even during what is usually their down time (3-5pm).
    lot of guns moving in both directions.
    and its happend to me many times that i want something, yet it does not come together and that $ gets spent on something else.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Wow! Never had one (lgs) try to do me like that. Now at gun shows, that's a different story. You were right to walk away and I don't think I'd be back.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    Wow! Never had one (lgs) try to do me like that. Now at gun shows, that's a different story. You were right to walk away and I don't think I'd be back.
    Thanks for the comments. The store is actually way out of my way but it is one of a few shops that are on my route when I travel to Burlington for corporate meetings.

I think he thought of me as a rube. No idea why. I was coming from meetings both times so I was well dressed. I knew what I wanted, didn't dilly dally or ask a single dumb question that I'm aware of....... But since nobody has yet to sway me that this round is armor piercing or that the cops 'hate them' then I guess I was right to exercise my right to Vote with my Feet.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Not going to go through the vest...

Federal Premium® Guard Dog
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    I have noticed a chip on the shoulder of several employees of my local shops. In all fairness, I'm sure they get their fair share of looky loos, armchair commandos, and know-it-alls.

That being said, not everyone falls into those categories, and they should be mindful of good customer service. In my area competition if fierce, and I don't see why they aren't more careful about how they treat people.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

I only go to two gun shops...both treat me very well, and always welcome me by name when I enter (both are big shops).
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have three LGS very close to me, two are excellent, the third very friendly, but limited selection and slightly higher priced. I got "caught" the other day in my shopping habits. I try to develop a relationship with each shop. They get to know me, and we I give them the impression that they are the only place I shop. Well, the other day I visited all three doing some research on the different youth options for my daughter who outgrew her Crickett. I finally settled on getting her a new CZ with a Pink Stock (which looks like is now discontinued). This was after my wife said "no more guns in the house" but I convinced her in a "weak" moment, and am now paying the price - but I digress....

So, after I picked up the CZ and one location, I went back to one of the other locations and picked up some rings for it, and mentioned we just got her the CZ. The guy looked at me and said "You didn't get it from us? We still have the one in stock you were looking at". I hung my head in "shame" and apologized that the other location was closer to home and 10 dollars cheaper. He reminded me that they are always willing to strike deals and match prices for their loyal customers! (With emphasis on LOYAL).

Well I promptly purchased the rings, a new scope and some ammo out of guilt. He was a great salesman!

I am still paying the price for getting my wife's permission while she was under the influence of pain medication following her surgery!

"Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Links