20ga. Buckshot loads

This is a discussion on 20ga. Buckshot loads within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been looking to purchase some quantity of 20ga buckshot. The problem is that i cannot find anything but #3 or #2 buck. I ...

Thread: 20ga. Buckshot loads

20ga. Buckshot loads

I have been looking to purchase some quantity of 20ga buckshot. The problem is that i cannot find anything but #3 or #2 buck.
    I would like to find some factory loaded #00 or #0 buck. I have checked the few ammo sites that I know of , but so far nothing .
    If any one knows where to get factory loads like these please let me know.

2. Remove Ads

To the best of my knowledge, there has never been a factory load in 00 buck for 20 gauge, at least not in the 30+ years I've been hunting with a 20. I have a small supply of Remington #1 buck that I got years ago, but currently the Big 3 (Rem, Fed, Win) show #2 buck as the biggest pellet in 20 gauge.

There's a reason for not loading big shot in a small-diameter gauge, which is that you won't get many pellets and even with buffering media the pattern would be poor... the shot column height to bore ratio works against good performance (same reason 16 gauge is considered "ideal" for birdshot patterns) and the 'stacking' of big-diameter pellets would be grossly uneven. However, you could probably find a 'recipe' in a loading manual and roll your own.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I am not sure if it can be done; just thinking and I could be wrong. The size of the pellets and how many you can get in a shell might be the deciding factor as to why the factory doesn't do it. it would be so limited as to the number of pellets it would render the shot ineffective at a given distance. The pattern would be so thin it would lose it effectiveness

Links