.40 or 9mm - Page 2

.40 or 9mm

This is a discussion on .40 or 9mm within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do elections effect ammunition availability by caliber?...

View Poll Results: With elections coming, which caliber do you think will be readily available?

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll

45 35.16%
  • 9mm

83 64.84%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: .40 or 9mm

VIP Member
    Do elections effect ammunition availability by caliber?
    multistage likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

The way an election can make the price of ammo fluctuate is when election time comes, many people will stock up on ammo for their guns, mostly out of fear of the politition from banning their ammo. And if 9mm is the more popular round, the price of 9mm will go up as supplies dwindle and demand rises.
    Erik in Ct

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikinCT View Post
    The way an election can make the price of ammo fluctuate is when election time comes, many people will stock up on ammo for their guns, mostly out of fear of the politition from banning their ammo. And if 9mm is the more popular round, the price of 9mm will go up as supplies dwindle and demand rises.
    By that rationale, I can assume .25 and 10mm are more popular than the 9mm, since they cost significantly more?
    Last edited by Mike1956; March 27th, 2012 at 05:05 PM.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I like having guns in as many calibers as possible for that reason. sure I favor a couple but it's nice to know I'm not going to get skunked just because they're out of one caliber at the store.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    By that rationale, I can assume .25 and 10mm are more popular than the 9mm, since they significantly more?
    Perhaps. Or perhaps they are a not so common caliber and people with that caliber stock up whenever they can find it.
    Erik in Ct

9mm
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikinCT View Post
    Perhaps. Or perhaps they are a not so common caliber and people with that caliber stock up whenever they can find it.
    Supply, demand and production costs drive not only the price of the final product, but each other. If, for example, the 10mm had flown with law enforcement after its initial introduction and promotion, the price of a a box of it would be significantly closer than it is to the ever-popular .45 acp. Whenever the public demands more ammunition of a particular caliber, the manufacturers simply increase production.
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Whenever the public demands more ammunition of a particular caliber, the manufacturers simply increase production.
    18 months later of course.

VIP Member
    Stay with 9mm and stock up online for now. You'll do just fine, because ammo prices are just starting to go up. My best jobber is at 18 cents for WB9, and AE45 is still 29 cents. But don't delay, just in case I'm seeing the start of another run. During the last go-round I stocked up on components, as I load for 15 calibers, the low pressure 45 being my favorite.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I can't get on board w/ 40 cal. The ones I've shot, I didn't like as well an my 9mm. Snappier 40 cal. Better follow-up shots with 9.
    Folks can argue ballistics if they want, but I believe that a 9 in the right spot will perform as well as a 40 in the right spot. If you don't get good hits, it doesn't matter which caliber you're using.
    SpencerB likes this.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Other than 380, the only cartridge that I have ever had trouble finding is the 357 SIG, which should come as no surprise. If He Who Must Not Be Named gets reelected this fall, they'll all be tough to come by, just like four years ago. Folks will panic and clean house. Again.

9mm is military issue and therefore should always be available for purchase. As stated, prices fluctuate and just go with the flow. If you can find the caliber you want, go for it. If it is not available, ask your ammo dealer when they normally expect ammo shipments and be sure to show up early that day. Some dealers will hold ammo for you but probably only if they see/know you from frequent visits.
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

I am a 9mm guy, when I wanted something in .40 caliber I went with the real deal... 10mm
    Mike1956 likes this.

Think about NATO surplus ammo. With the war in Afghanistan winding down, there should be a ton more Winchester NATO 9mm available at your local gun shop/ammo hole. I saw a huge surge when Iraq "ended".
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

VIP Member
    I did not vote sorry, I don't think it is a bad idea to have several calibers. I like the 9MM over 40 but since lots of LE use 40 there may be some surplus opportunities.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links