.40 or 9mm

This is a discussion on .40 or 9mm within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; this poll is not fair; too many of us have both. so now if you know you are carring in a high crime area theG23/.40 ...

View Poll Results: With elections coming, which caliber do you think will be readily available?

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll

45 35.16%
  • 9mm

83 64.84%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: .40 or 9mm

this poll is not fair; too many of us have both. so now if you know you are carring in a high crime area theG23/.40 is a good choice but if you are going to 7-11 for a slurpee in shorts and a t the G26/9 mm works well
    ironmike86 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I do purchase from online ammo sources as well and they have plentiful supply of 9mm. I think I have a good supply as well.
    But my fear is 9mm couldn't be found around the last elections and as I stated .40 could be found.
    I just hope that manufacturers and distributors keep pumping it out and don't hold back playing the supply and demand game thus increasing the prices and then the supply goes scarce.

For me even though I have both I like the bigger, heavier bullet of the .40 S&W in a SD situation.

I shoot it well and have confidence in it's ability to do the job if I do mine.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I hope everyone stocks up on both 9mm and .40...that will make my .45s just that much more affordable.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Forgot to mention in my first post I vote for 9mm.

If Ammo should become hard to get what would still be around ?
    The US Military uses the 9mm because NATO does. If there is any chance of ammo being on the black market it will be 9mm. It there is any chance of acquiring it by other means it would most likely be 9mm.
    But if you really want a 40 help out your local dealer and spend some cash. Buy what you want don't justify it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    If Ammo should become hard to get what would still be around ?
    The US Military uses the 9mm because NATO does. If there is any chance of ammo being on the black market it will be 9mm. It there is any chance of acquiring it by other means it would most likely be 9mm.
    But if you really want a 40 help out your local dealer and spend some cash. Buy what you want don't justify it.
    maybe you have it backwards, nato uses the 9mm because the US forces use it. we all know that there are better rounds out there

Honestly, there is not alot of difference between 9mm and 40.................
    ironmike86 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    maybe you have it backwards, nato uses the 9mm because the US forces use it. we all know that there are better rounds out there
    I think Smitty had it right, NATO ( europe ) was using the 9mm long before we adopted it.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

I have 2 9mm's (FS M&P and M&P9c) and a .40 (S&W 4003). I bought my 4003 instead of a 5903 or 5906 because at the time .40 was easier to find locally at the time. It seemed whenever 9mm and .45 were harder to find I can always find .40.

9mm is the most prolific almost anywhere you go. Therefore it's how I voted. Most common round is the one to have at hand if supply disappears. You may very well end up killing for it, but hopefully not. Take them off the dead that couldn't hit their target. 9mm may very well be the money of the future. We'll just have to make sure we're still alive to see it.

Was just at the local walmart today and thinking about this poll. I noticed there was no 9mm or .45, but were a few boxes of .40. Sometime it's nice to have options.

Quote Originally Posted by boatail View Post
    I really don't think there will be much difference between the two, but the 9mm will be there no matter what. The .40 is so close behind that it really makes no difference.
    I think with alot of Leo changing to 40sw it will be there for awhile. I have 9mm and 40mm they feel so similar to me I like the 40 better. Cost for me is not much for me to worry

Distinguished Member
    when you add the shipping, the online prices are not any cheaper. Just a gimmick to make it sound cheaper. At least you can FIND 9mm online, all area stores sold out of personal defense(JHP0) rounds. Lots of .40 cal on the shelves.

Through the last couple of years, availability of various calibers has varied, and I wouldn't let what's available NOW effect what gun I purchase/use...it changes.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links