.40 or 9mm

This is a discussion on .40 or 9mm within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have six 9mm's and I am thinking of purchasing a PX4 in .40. The reason why is when I try to purchase 9mm at ...

View Poll Results: With elections coming, which caliber do you think will be readily available?

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll

45 35.16%
  • 9mm

83 64.84%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: .40 or 9mm

.40 or 9mm

I have six 9mm's and I am thinking of purchasing a PX4 in .40.
    The reason why is when I try to purchase 9mm at Walmart it is pretty much sold out. Today I went and there were 5 boxes of Federal 9mm and I purchased 3 of them. There are times I can not even get 9mm unless I purchase from an ammo dealer.
    Back a few years ago when there was a shortage of ammo, .380 and 9mm were non existent. .40 was always on the shelves.
    What is you opinion?

2. Remove Ads

I'm thinking about how much 9mm could be bought now for the price of the pistol...
    kmagnuss, marcclarke and joker1 like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    I think it's a toss up? With all the subcompact conceal carry models popping up in .40 cal, seems alot of people going this route right now. But I am also seeing alot of single stacks in 9mm getting attention. So I just stockpile.

I dumped my one and only .40 cal. Why? Ammo expense!

Yeah, it was a G-23 and I loved it. Had it for 12 years, but as soon as I got a 9mm, I found myself shooting it less and less because of ammo prices. And I noticed I had a little better control and accuracy with the 9mm than the .40 cal. Heck I even shoot my two .45 ACP's better than the .40 cal.

I'm keeping the .45's and may even get another couple of them. I still like big bores. However, with modern, quality ammo, 9mm is just as effective and reliable man stopper as the .40 S&W. It's just cheaper and the gun holds a couple more bullets. A win-win in my opinion.

Plus, I think 9mm ammo is now, and will continue to be way more plentiful, and available than .40 cal ammo.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    I'm thinking about how much 9mm could be bought now for the price of the pistol...
    I'll see your point and raise you. Think about how much reloading equipment you could get with that same money. Ammo shortages take longer to affect the reloader than the guy buying factory ammo off the shelf.

I got a 9 mm conversion barrel for my G23 and I'd be just as happy carrying one caliber over another so it's a non-issue for me. Far be it from me to tell someone else to not buy another gun
    ironmike86 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by firemanjones View Post
    I have six 9mm's and I am thinking of purchasing a PX4 in .40.
    The reason why is when I try to purchase 9mm at Walmart it is pretty much sold out. Today I went and there were 5 boxes of Federal 9mm and I purchased 3 of them. There are times I can not even get 9mm unless I purchase from an ammo dealer.
    Back a few years ago when there was a shortage of ammo, .380 and 9mm were non existent. .40 was always on the shelves.
    What is you opinion?
    start buying your ammo online, better prices and I haven't seen any caliber being unavailable.
    as for 9mm or .40, why not both? .40 is a more "robust" round 9mm is cheaper to shoot, both calibers will do the job.

Not important to a handloader with components on hand. Even some weird stuff like .32-20, .38 S&W, .38-40, .41 Long Colt and .455 will continue to be available here after the general election, not to mention the standard handgun cartridges.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    9mm is the only way to go in this race
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I really don't think there will be much difference between the two, but the 9mm will be there no matter what. The .40 is so close behind that it really makes no difference.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

I have a mixture of guns in 9mm and .40 and soon to have one .45 to add to the mix.

I went to three diffrent stores sunday and no 9mm shells. Going to the gun dealer I bought the gun from today and see if they have any. I don't understand why they are so hard to find. What did I miss?

Is there not a hundred threads on this already?Anyway,I dont worry about it,I have Glocks of all the calibers,except .380,and any time a ammo manufacturer comes out with the "New"Super Hollow point,ultra expanding,electronically controlled,uranium explosive tipped,drop the B.G.with just the sight of our round,Guaranteed half minute angles at 600 meters out of any handgun,I run out and buy it.

They will both be as available as they have ever been.

40 does seem to be more plentiful lately. That being said, you can always take that cash and stock up on 9 from an online retailer.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links