(Young) man kills roomate with pellet gun

This is a discussion on (Young) man kills roomate with pellet gun within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MotorCityGun So much for caliber wars/debates. Please. I can kill someone with a sharp stick. That doesn't mean I want to carry ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: (Young) man kills roomate with pellet gun

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    So much for caliber wars/debates.
    Please. I can kill someone with a sharp stick. That doesn't mean I want to carry a sharp stick.

2. Remove Ads

I've killed several Alaskan grizzlies, elk, moose, and even mountain lion with my red Ryder.....
    Just saying

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    So--how many of us would choose a pellet gun over a firearm in a self-defense situation?

That's what I thought.
    I don't think anyone has ever said that... If I had no other weapon and someone broke into my home I would for sure use a pellet gun, do you think 1200 fps cant kill/injure or something? (I have plenty of better home SD weapons and would never have the need for it)

That's like saying "how many of us would use a pancake to attack someone who has a knife?" Such an ignorant statement...

Sorry if it came off as rude, but some comments just should not be posted.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    I don't think anyone has ever said that... If I had no other weapon and someone broke into my home I would for sure use a pellet gun, do you think 1200 fps cant kill/injure or something? (I have plenty of better home SD weapons and would never have the need for it)

That's like saying "how many of us would use a pancake to attack someone who has a knife?" Such an ignorant statement...

Sorry if it came off as rude, but some comments just should not be posted.
    My statement was a direct response to the OP's "So much for the calber wars..." comment.

Seriously--just because something is capable of being lethal, does it mean it is a good choice for defense?

Just pointing out the silliness of that mindset. Sorry it wasn't obvious enough for you to understand--not meaning to be rude, or anything.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I know a couple of brothers. When they were younger (maybe 15-20 years ago), the older brother accidentally/negligently shot the younger brother with his pellet gun. He was shooting birds or something earlier and decided to come inside. His younger brother was watching cartoons and I don't know what he was thinking but he pulled the trigger while the gun was pointed at his younger brother. I think he thought his pellet gun was unloaded, and wanted to scare his brother. Yes, extremely stupid.

This was a pneumatic pump pellet gun. He had it at 11 pumps when the maximum was 10. The pellet tore a hole through the younger brother's stomach, bounced around other organs and ended up next to his spinal cord. The doctors said he could have been paralyzed or could have died, but luckily the pellet missed the really important organs, they got to the hospital quickly and the surgery went well.

They have a great relationship. The younger brother served in the Army (multiple tours in Iraq) and now owns many guns and the older one (also a veteran) just recently bought a 10/22, his first firearm after many years of encouragement from everyone. They both shoot fairly regularly at their parent's property and sometimes I join them. I think they both learned very important lessons from that unfortunate experience early in life.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Originally charged with 2nd deg murder, charge was reduced to manslaughter and he pleaded no contest. Here's what he got:

Michigan man sentenced to at least 3 years in prison for roommate's pellet rifle death

And oh btw, what I meant by putting an end to caliber wars/debates was with respect to the lethality of a particular caliber, not necessarily whether a larger/smaller caliber bullet is better/worse for SD or whether I or anyone should carry a pellet gun for SD.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

He initially appeared to be having trouble breathing after smoking synthetic marijuana.
    Well that explains a lot.

Of course, a typical air rifle isn't in the same league as a firearm as a defensive tool, but a spring piston RWS or Beeman at 1000 fps isn't something I'd care to be shot with.

One of the nastiest accidents I've had involving "guns" was having the barrel of a spring piston air rifle come back at my when I was attempting to cock it. That hurt. A lot.

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I'm convinced that some of the high-end pellet guns with velocities around 1,200 fps with .22 caliber pellets are probably just as powerful as a regular .22LR.
    Convinced as you are or not, the measurements don't support your conjecture. (Sorry about that.)

Easy enough to calculate. Weight the pellets, chronograph their muzzle velocities, and computer the energy in foot-pounds, then compare to .22 LR.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links