158g or 125g bullet for 1 7/8" barrel J Frame?

This is a discussion on 158g or 125g bullet for 1 7/8" barrel J Frame? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Did a little wheeling and dealing today and ended up bringing home a S&W 438 that I'm trying very hard to develop at least a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: 158g or 125g bullet for 1 7/8" barrel J Frame?

158g or 125g bullet for 1 7/8" barrel J Frame?

Did a little wheeling and dealing today and ended up bringing home a S&W 438 that I'm trying very hard to develop at least a modicum of appreciation for.....that's not entirely true...it's very light and conceals quite easily and the dadgum hump on it's back should discourage snags and such in pockets...guess I'll just have to call it "Quasimodo" and get over it.

My question is, with such a short barrel, would it be better to stick with my favorite 158g bullet in 38SP, or drop down to 125g or so in the attempt to put up a little higher fps out of it? My inclination is to stick to the heavier bullet, as that's just what I like, but I've never owned a gun with such a short barrel (excepting the derringer...gone now). Any ideas?

ETA-I'm very tired and going to bed now, so I'll check back in the AM...toodles...
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

2. Remove Ads

As with many topics on this forum you will get a gazillion different opinions. There are pros and cons to each ammo you state. This no different than asking which handgun/revolver is the best to carry or which holster. In the end you will have to decide which way you want to go.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I have a couple of the hump back beauties. I refer to them as camels. I personally like the 158 gr flavor, but that's just me. I tend to go with the heaviest bullet available. Put the shot where it needs to be and it won't matter much.
    Attached Images
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

CorBon DPX +P .38 Special. Lowest recoil of the viable self-defense rounds for the light-weight snub-nosed revolver.

Distinguished Member
    My understanding is that 125gr +P SWC come with FBI recommendation.
    I shot a couple hundred on each day of a two-day snubby course at Tactical Defense Institute from my S&W 438 aka "Bodyguard" with factory laser. It was all the fun I could handle and would not concern myself with heavier.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I have a couple of the hump back beauties. I refer to them as camels. I personally like the 158 gr flavor, but that's just me. I tend to go with the heaviest bullet available. Put the shot where it needs to be and it won't matter much.
    Nice collection, myself I would like to add a “lemon squeezer” or I forget the model number but one with a shrouded hammer that can be thumb cocked to my collection.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Ditto on BugDude... I'd stick to the 158s. I prefer the old "FBI" load, the lead SWC-HP in +P denomination.

I'm partial to the humpbacks as well... I doubt there's a snub that leaves a pocket faster.
    40Bob and Old School like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

The 158 hpt of soft lead is hard to beat for any .38 special revolver used for defense.

I personally cast my hollow points for the .38 special using pure lead and 2.5% tin, this bullet works and expands at 800 fps or better.

Old School and 40Bob like this.

I have the 438 too. I carry the 158 grain LSWC loads in it as I do in all my 38 Spls. I've practiced with 130 grain FMJs as well. The 438 just isn't fun to shoot but it is hard to beat for concealment and carry comfort. I've got an old weightlifting glove that I slip on for fun with this thing at the range.
    Attached Images
    Old School likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamour View Post
    The 158 hpt of soft lead is hard to beat for any .38 special revolver used for defense.

I personally cast my hollow points for the .38 special using pure lead and 2.5% tin, this bullet works and expands at 800 fps or better.

I agree. Plus you have the added benfit of inexspensive practice rounds.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    I like the 158's. I also practice with the 130 ball ammo.

I carry the ported version nowadays a lot.

"A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    My understanding is that 125gr +P SWC come with FBI recommendation.
    I shot a couple hundred on each day of a two-day snubby course at Tactical Defense Institute from my S&W 438 aka "Bodyguard" with factory laser. It was all the fun I could handle and would not concern myself with heavier.
    FBI endorses Winchester PDX1 (their 38 comes in 130gr+P).
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I could care less what the FBI endorses. I have a developed an almost foreign concept of thinking for myself. And my thinking leads me to believe there is no better than a 158 weight lswc driven at 800 fps or better.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Thanks for all the comments, I may take it out and put a few rounds through it today if I can get the dang pickup running again (whole 'nother left-over from yesterday). I've got a few boxes of 158 LFPRN loaded to standard pressure laying around here and maybe a box of +P 125's too in plated HP. I like the ease of carry of this gun, but haven't quite gotten past the "feels like a toy" aspect, it's my first alloy gun too.

Nice guns BugDude and wmhawth I particularly like the wooden grips, mine came with "composite".

I also very much like the bullets put up by Hamour, I need to get set up to cast my own, maybe I'll prowl some yard/estate sales this year and hope to get lucky with some equipment.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

158 grain bullets for me. Especially in short-barreled snubs.
    Old School likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links