Winchester Ranger-t 147gr thoughts

This is a discussion on Winchester Ranger-t 147gr thoughts within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm switching back to carrying my 9mms during the summer and am using the Ranger-T 147gr's. After doing some research on youtube, I saw a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Winchester Ranger-t 147gr thoughts

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar

I'm switching back to carrying my 9mms during the summer and am using the Ranger-T 147gr's. After doing some research on youtube, I saw a few tests where they fully expanded. After doing further research, I learned that various Federal LE agencies only allow the use of that round out of their sub machine guns. After seeing the tests on youtube out of 4 inch barrels, I was thinking that using them in my P250 sub compact with less than a 4 inch barrel might not give me the desired results of full expansion. I was wondering what everything thought? I might end up switching to a 124 gr +p round as I can't find anything that says its only to use the +p+ Ranger Ts.

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I'm shooting 147 gr. Federal HST's out of both my M&P full size and my XD9sc.

I think you're splitting hairs and will be just fine with whatever you choose out of what you've posted.
    Redline and TX expat like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

It's a great round. I carry it in my HK P30. I've looked high and low for something better but I haven't found it... Ranger T or the Federal HST is what I recommend
    Redline likes this.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I'm probably splitting hairs. I've never paid much attention to the back woods testing anyway.

I did some pretty careful comparison shopping a couple of weeks ago, and ended up ordering a case of 147 gr. Ranger T's. No discernible difference in performance between them and the HST's, and they were a lot cheaper (from SGAmmo).

They're now riding in my CM9, and will be in my wife's soon-to-arrive M&P 9.

Regards,
    Jim

SCAmmo varries from week to week and month to month. Ammo prices are like the commodities markets. Supply and Demand.

I bought my Federal HST's there last month because at the time, they were cheaper than the Ranger -T's. Go figure!

I tend to stick with Ranger -T, Federal HST, Speer Gold Dots, Remington Golden Saber... Whatever is in stock and cheapest at the time. I can usually at least find one of those four rounds at a decent price somewhere.

You do have to shop around. You can find good savings from place to place.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    What Bark'n said.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    I keep 'em in my PF-9. The heavier weight has shown better performance in expansion as well as through various barriers in some tests. I'm considering whether I'll stop putting the +P+ T-series in my G17 & just go with the 147 T.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    SCAmmo varries from week to week and month to month. Ammo prices are like the commodities markets. Supply and Demand.

I bought my Federal HST's there last month because at the time, they were cheaper than the Ranger -T's. Go figure!

I tend to stick with Ranger -T, Federal HST, Speer Gold Dots, Remington Golden Saber... Whatever is in stock and cheapest at the time. I can usually at least find one of those four rounds at a decent price somewhere.

You do have to shop around. You can find good savings from place to place.
    I'd bet a dollar to a beignet that a BG would never notice the difference!

Regards,
    Jim
    Bark'n likes this.

124 gr + P Federal HST and Winchester Ranger T 147 gr are my two exclusive SD ammo of choice based on availability. I have about 1,200 rounds of combined. I feel very good @ Speer Gold Dot and Golden Sabres also when the other other two are not available for some odd reason.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I've been using sub-sonic ammo with my glock 17 for years and I would trust my life with it because 99% of bullet hype is bull.Shot placement overrides a bullet that weighs 124 grains that travels x amount of feet per second versus 147 grain that goes 950 feet per second andso it no longer sub sonic round.. does not make the 1200 feet per second.Question to my fellow self defense shooters ,are you having a hard time finding self defense ammo? I use to be able to purchase 9mm winchester 147grain 50 rounds for 12 bucks,45ACP twenty bucks.Walmart has such a poor selection of ammo and firearms it clearly won't be selling them much longer.Dick has a great supply of target ammo at reasonble prices.They just put up a small sign on one of the door instructing folks who have a permit to carry check there piece at the counter with the clerk. I had my S&W Bodyguard and my ruger lcp in my front pocket and I must confess there was no way I was going to hand over $1000 plus that I had just invested.All I could see those kids doing was playing with my laser site!
    Ipurchased ammo half a dozen times since no issue.I
    Redline likes this.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    Question to my fellow self defense shooters ,are you having a hard time finding self defense ammo?
    Try SGAmmo.com: SGAmmo.com | Family Owned and Operated, Stillwater Oklahoma

They'll deliver to your door so you won't have to waste your $6.00 gallon BHO gas!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Two weekends ago I shot 200 Ranger T's 127 Gr +P+ and 300 rounds of Remington 124GR Golden Sabers Bonded in a Gun Fighting Class. Both performed flawlessly. This morning I took delivery of 1000 more 127Gr Ranger T's +P+ from SGAmmo. They were ordered last Friday and arrived a day early. That is service that will have me buying there again. They were $27 per box.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Great service and great price!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links