Newbie question regarding 9mm Bonded Bullets

This is a discussion on Newbie question regarding 9mm Bonded Bullets within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, Newb question for you. I like to stagger my 9mm mags with 1 round bonded, 1 round non-bonded. I feel that this gives ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Newbie question regarding 9mm Bonded Bullets

Newbie question regarding 9mm Bonded Bullets

Hey guys,

Newb question for you. I like to stagger my 9mm mags with 1 round bonded, 1 round non-bonded. I feel that this gives me a good mix of expansion against soft targets, and intermediate barrier penetration if needed.

I know that my RA9124TP (124gr+P T-series) will expand and be jagged and sharp. My newbie question is, will bonded bullets also be sharp when expanded, or will the petals be rounded? I carry Gold Dot 124r +P.

Thanks guys!

2. Remove Ads

Do you plan on shooting thru car doors in a super hero moment? Or do you plan on protecting yourself and your loved ones? Why stagger your rounds?
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

The Gold Dots will accomplish both,the only time I ever staggered was after drinking waaaay to much beer
    chefjon likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

"Dutch loads" are generally not considered a good idea. Just find a quality round for your personal defense and stick with it. You can shoot whatever you want for practice.

If you want to have a magazine dedicated to a certain round, that is ok, for instance they suggest using FMJ for bear.
    chefjon likes this.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Your regular Rangers will perform just fine through barriers.

Just load one type in your mag.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Do you plan on shooting thru car doors in a super hero moment? Or do you plan on protecting yourself and your loved ones? Why stagger your rounds?
    No I don't, but last I checked, 1/4" bone, i.e., a rib or the sternum, was as dense as car-door thickness steel. Now consider that your attacker will almost certainly not be standing stock-still like a silhouette target on the range. It is highly likely that the bullet will have to go through some bone before reaching the heart or lungs. Or if I'm lucky, maybe I'll score an abdomen hit and cut the aorta or renal arteries.

Additionally, have you ever seen what happens to a non-bonded bullet passing through auto glass? If not, I recommend researching it. And who's to say I won't be the victim of a violent car-jacking and NEED to shoot through glass to protect myself?
    Last edited by MP9NewMexico; April 3rd, 2012 at 07:41 PM.

Also, just out of curiosity, why are "Dutch Loads" discouraged? Is it for feeding reasons?

RKM
    Bonded vs non-bonded... they're going to perform equally well in soft tissue. Jacket separation in soft tissue is really not a big deal. Some claim that it reduces the energy absorbed by the target. With the insignificant energy levels that handgun rounds produce, the difference would be so incredibly negligible. Besides, energy has very little to NO wounding capabilities in the majority of handgun ammo. Bonded bullets are designed for shooting through walls, auto glass and other barriers still allowing it to perform in the soft target behind the barrier.

Just carry ALL bonded bullets and be done with it.

I carry non-bonded Gold Dots in .38+P and non-bonded HST in 9mm. In .45 I carry DPX which technically isn't bonded... but actually better. Barnes bullets have some of the best performance through barriers and soft tissue. They're the only "light weight" rounds per caliber that's widely accepted due to their construction and performance.

Staggering rounds in a mag..... I've never understood why people say it's not suggested. I can't see why it would affect reliability. However, what's the point? Is one round you're using better than the other? Probably not. But if it is, why not just carry the entire mag full of the "better" round?

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    There is absolutely no "knowing" when it comes to hollow points, sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't. Putting two different types of rounds in your magazine means that every other round will feel slightly different to your hand, at least it does to me, plus there just isn't any reason in my mind why I'd want two different rounds in my gun, I feel that I can count on my 147gr Ranger T's to accomplish most tasks. Try the Corbon DPX round, all copper, expands well and penetrates well.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

I did see the DPX. However, I saw that it's only 115gr. Isn't that a little bit light for good penetration?

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post
    I did see the DPX. However, I saw that it's only 115gr. Isn't that a little bit light for good penetration?
    No. The Barnes bullet in DPX always runs light due to it's all copper construction. They're the only "light weight" rounds per caliber that's widely accepted due to their construction and performance. DPX performs despite it's light weight. DPX is the only 115gr 9mm I'd use. Same for .45, it's the only 185gr bullet I'd use.... and I do.

I guess you're right! I did a little researching, and found out that even though it's light, copper is harder than lead, much harder. This means that even though the round is light, it should have good expansion and penetration, very comparable to a heavier lead slug/copper jacket bullet.

My suggestion would be to read up on the work by DocGKR on ballistics, pick a round that functions well in your gun and spend the rest of your time and effort in shooting and training, I'd not worry about bonded vs non-bonded or 9mm vs 45ACP or anything else.

All modern self defense ammo preforms mostly the same.

Medic -
    Good advice, thanks! Also, what are you a medic in/for? EMT? SWAT? Just curious :)

Street medic with 15+ years... Work in the Capital City of NC now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links