Bulk ammo buying - Page 2

Bulk ammo buying

This is a discussion on Bulk ammo buying within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Defensive, from SGAmmo, great service. I handload for target, have plenty of brass and other components....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Bulk ammo buying

Defensive, from SGAmmo, great service. I handload for target, have plenty of brass and other components.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    I use Sportsman's Guide and wait until they offer $4.99 shipping on anything. My last order weighed in at 37 pounds [ammo and an SKS stock] and only paying $4.99 for shipping was a huge deal!
    Nice tip! Thanks!
    mano3 likes this.

cj
    Depends on what you consider 'bulk'. I've been picking up 1000 in pistol cartridges here and there, .223 when it's on sale (usually in quantities of 420 at a time), and just bought a pack of 5250 .22, but don't really consider any of that 'bulk' (although the UPS guy might argue. But if you do consider it so, it's all pretty much generic target ammo. I've got a decent enough supply of defensive for what I'd ever hopefully never need, and if things get truly out of whack, target ammunition will be fairly valuable anyway.

Now what I'D consider bulk would be 10,000 or more at a shot, but I haven't been able to find anyone who gives a break for those quantities.

Unlike some of you all my pockets aren't that deep so I try and buy a little at a time when I go to the store. The bulk pricing is good but after shipping the price is close to what I can get off the shelf in a lot of cases

cj
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    Unlike some of you all my pockets aren't that deep so I try and buy a little at a time when I go to the store. The bulk pricing is good but after shipping the price is close to what I can get off the shelf in a lot of cases
    This is key too! Over the last few years, if I was going to a class or something I'd just buy double what I'd supposedly need. Stopping by the store for something else, pick up a box or two. Buying in bulk is, in my mind, reserved for when it's a better deal than I can get otherwise (e.g. the .22 I purchased ended up about 25% cheaper than I could get locally).

The gubmint isn't hoarding ammo for zombies or to invade your neighborhood or to take it all away from you. The majority of the tinfoil hat ammo panics revolve around contracts that the bean counters sign with ammo producers. Locking in the price for 450 million rounds will actually save taxpayers money in the long term, esp with a lot of agencies issuing 40 S&W these days.

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Armey View Post
    Heard about a big contract the gov't issued on 40S&W.... may deplete all stocks and sources. Expect high prices for months to come.
    The .40 S&W Winchester ammunition contract that spans several years is not large enough to affect prices and will not "deplete all stocks and sources". Nice try.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I've gotten some good deals at CTD. Bulk nato 556 green. Hornady Tap 223, speer lawman 9mm, hornady CD 380. Trying to find good prices on 35 remington. My bulk would be for target. Walmart has American Eagle 55 gr 223 for $6.97 20 rounds with a limit of 6 boxes.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

everybody should buy some bulk ammo. times are going to get hard and it looks like it will be hard to find ammo and/or reloading supplies.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

My response is to buy reloading components and bullet molds. With these materials you can make a lot more ammo for the same price. I have 10,000 plus 38 special cases. So all I need are the primers, powder and bullets to keep myself shooting for a long time. With a good 357 mag carbine and revolver you can be well prepared for a long time.

If you have an 8lb can of Unique, this is enough powder for 11,200 loadings @ 5grs each (7000 grs per pond of powder X 8lbs = 56,000 / 5grs = 11,200)
    One 10,000 box of primers, and scrounged up lead will keep you in serviceable ammo for a long time.

Bulk ammo is a great way to save money and to build up a supply of brass for the reloading hobby. If you don't currently have the ability to reload that would probably be where I would look next for a purchase. You can start out with a Lee hand loader for about 30 bucks and then get the dies for your specific ammo. Or get a simple single stage mountable press. It may be more critical to be able to manufacture your own stuff if the SHTF scenario breaks loose.
    mano3 likes this.

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Just ordered 1000 rounds of .223 from Ammoman.com for 369.00 delivered. This was right in line so to speak with other online ammo retailers but they offer free shipping. This ammo is PMC FMJ 55 grain.
    SCGunLover1

I have been buying a 50rnd box of 22mag (cci hp $8.47) and a 550rnd box of 22lr(federal $19.97) every other week for the last few months. The 22lr went up $5 a box about a month and a half ago. Not sure why.
    Glock 19 in a Crossbreed supertuck EDC

Ruger LCP W/ CT "the go anywhere gun" EDC

"ALWAYS carry!NEVERtell!" Thumper

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Just started reloading myself. Biggest reason is so I can control the quality. Second reason was for the hobby aspect of it. Third reason was for cost savings. Forth was for any 'ammo drought', I could make my own if components are available but loaded ammo is not.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    Just started reloading myself. Biggest reason is so I can control the quality. Second reason was for the hobby aspect of it. Third reason was for cost savings. Forth was for any 'ammo drought', I could make my own if components are available but loaded ammo is not.
    thats why I started reloading years ago. I still enjoy it. BUT I sometimes make a bulk purchase. Funny thing about the cost savings, if you add all of the equipment then upgrade to better equipment the savings will drop but I don't care because I enjoy the work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links