Lead content in hollow points

This is a discussion on Lead content in hollow points within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey, can someone help me to locate any info on lead content in hollow points? Im looking to get some federal jhp, hydrashok or HST. ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By InTTruder

Thread: Lead content in hollow points

Lead content in hollow points

Hey, can someone help me to locate any info on lead content in hollow points? Im looking to get some federal jhp, hydrashok or HST. I am interested for 2 reasons; one being I ve heard Glock and lead don't like each other, the other reason is if I have a choice of firing lead dust all over the place and breathing it...I'd rather not. I am OCD...I know....lol

sent from my EVO , with Tapatalk

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    While I'm no expert in this area, it seems to me that as long as you use a JHP that is jacketed to the tip, you wouldn't have a leading issue in the barrel. As far as lead dust or gas, I believe that most JHP's jackets cover the butt so that you really shouldn't have a worry there either.

Experts?
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

You shouldn't have anything to worry about. Yes Glocks don't like lead but its only if the entire bullet is lead i.e. your own cast bullets.
    Kahr CW9, Sig Sauer P226 SCT 9mm, Sig Sauer P229 SCT 9mm, FNH FNP .45 Tactical
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

Depends on the specific hollowpoint, caliber, bullet weight, etc. A conservative estimate might be 90% of the bullet weight for a jacketed bullet, obviously 100% of a non-jacketed bullet is lead. Most of the major ammo makers also sell non-toxic ammo these days under names like "Win Clean."

Glock is concerned about lead building up in the "corners" of their polygonal rifling, but in practical terms you would have to shoot thousands of rounds of soft lead bullets with little or no maintenance before lead buildup might become a problem. Jacketed bullets, including jacketed HPs, won't have any lead touching the rifling even if the nose of the bullet is exposed lead.

If you do most of your shooting outdoors, lead dust is a minimal problem. If you pick up used brass, then keep your hands away from your mouth, and don't eat at the range. Once you leave, wash your hands and wipe your face with a damp cloth; use cool water since warm water increases the solubility of the lead salts which are in the powder residue. Most indoor ranges have good ventilation these days, with filtered air moving from behind you down range. However, almost any indoor range is more likely to contaminate your self and your clothing to a higher level than any outdoor range, so just be smart about where you put your range bag wehn you come home (e.g., not on the kitchen counter where you prepare food).
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

If your OCD and clean your gun after every round you fire,it's gonna take a while to go thru a box of ammo
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Firing a bullet will not get anything hot enough to vaporize lead into the air. Not physically going to happen. The smoke you see when you shoot lead bullets is the lube, not the lead.

If you use jacketed bullets like you mentioned, there is nothing to be concerned with.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Biggest contributor to lead at ranges is the splash when the round hits the deflector plate at the back. Good ranges use fans and filters, and you get no lead exposure. Firing a jacketed or cast round has little impact to you personally.
    Doodle likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Hey, can someone help me to locate any info on lead content in hollow points? Im looking to get some federal jhp, hydrashok or HST. I am interested for 2 reasons; one being I ve heard Glock and lead don't like each other, the other reason is if I have a choice of firing lead dust all over the place and breathing it...I'd rather not. I am OCD...I know....lol

JHP are fine in Glocks, if they were not you would have problems finding ammo, you would be stuck to Barnes style bullet. Most JHP's are no different then FMJ as far as leading goes. But FMJ's are not encapsulated.

As lead dust is concerned, they are Jacketed, meaning encapsulated, no exposed lead to the burning power. If you worry about that for training then find, BEB, TMJ, Ballisticlean, JHP, there are several more basically indicating that the base is encapsulated.
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Thank you all for your responses. :D

Links