380 ammo - Page 2

380 ammo

This is a discussion on 380 ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think Trayvon was killed with a 380 if I not mistaken.....Yes I went there. :D...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 380 ammo

I think Trayvon was killed with a 380 if I not mistaken.....Yes I went there. :D

You won't really get the answer you want. Some guys run X brand, some run Y. Other guys may run a 238 with the same ammo that hangs your gun, but runs well in theirs. Best you can do is try good ammo (Ranger, Gold Dot, etc) until you find what your SIG will eat. Then carry it. I'm not a bit afraid to carry my 238, although I prefer a full size gun. But it's nice to drop something in the pocket and take off. I have much more confidence in one of my 9s, 357 SIG, 40, or 45. But I have enough confidence in my 238. All you can do is get good ammo that your gun likes, get good with it, and hope you never need it.

Buy several of the above brands mentioned and run some through your .380...let your gun decide!
    Old School likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by bamfsig45 View Post
    I think Trayvon was killed with a 380 if I not mistaken.....Yes I went there. :D
    I think it was a 9mm, a Kel Tec, according to reports.

-Let's not let this turn into a Zimmerman thread. I was just clarifying the caliber used.
    Last edited by Badey; April 8th, 2012 at 03:34 PM. Reason: disclaimer
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Winchester PDX1 jhp's in LCP

RugerLCP for EDC
    CWFL Florida
    NRA member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    EDC=Ruger LCP
    Florida CWFL
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I think it was a 9mm, a Kel Tec, according to reports.

-Let's not let this turn into a Zimmerman thread. I was just clarifying the caliber used.
    Yea not trying to derail....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Hornady Critical Defense...priceless in a .380

I used to have an Interarms Mauser HSC 9mmkurtz (.380) long before I ever considered carry. If I were to choose a .380 for carry it probably wouldn't be that model and for ammo I would more than likely stick with the FMJ standard velocity. That's just me. No real world stats here, but I personally wouldn't see the time and effort keeping, seeking, or testing data for this caliber. I would advise you looking to some of the foreign countries that deploy this caliber with their police forces or armed services. Much of this available data in this country was either discontinued several years ago, or data was intended to be gathered but never got posted. Here's one place you might find interesting............. Ammunition and Ballistics at mouseguns.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamfsig45 View Post
    Yea not trying to derail....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    I didn't mean you. I was afraid people would use my comment to piggyback on it and turn this into a Zimmerman thread.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I have a Bersa Thunder 380 and it loves BVAC EXTREME DEFENSE. 90 grn - 1036 fps.

My Sig 238 cycles FMJ, Gold Dots and Corbon Powerball just fine. It seemed to have a couple stoppages while shooting on the first day through the first couple mags. After that it has been happy.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Speer Gold Dot was the big thing before DPX, Buffalo Bore, and Critical Defense. It still gets great performance for the caliber and is usually available from a number of sources for less than DPX or Buffalo Bore.
    Remember the teacher telling you to “Bring enough for everybody”? That applies to gunfights, too. ~ Sarge @ Sarge's Roll Call

Thanks everyone! I tried running the Hornady critical defense, and unfortunately is hangs up like half of the time, to almost all the time on FEED. My FMJ no prob, and my one Golden Sabre (rounded nose hollow point) no problem at all. I had heard that before and have similar experiences with my 1911. If its round, is bound (to work), if its sharp edged its a NO GO too often (meaning once or more per mag).

Hey, side note to us with the p238. I called sig today as I found (maybe in this forum) a coupon I printed where they were offering 3 extended mags for $108. That coupon no longer exists, BUT they are honoring the deal with one exception; its $111 as prices went up. They also have a sig branded pocked holster for this which is discounted too. I did not order a laser, my night sights are perfect. They did not require the coupon that you get when you register your gun on line. But its still a sweet deal since those mags are $46 ea plus shipping...

Either way, when I get out to the range to try this again, and that will be soon, I will get some pics of the target to post. By far the best/easiest CCW gun I have ever owned.

Thanks again!!

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by renoboyd View Post
    Thanks everyone! I tried running the Hornady critical defense, and unfortunately is hangs up like half of the time, to almost all the time on FEED. My FMJ no prob, and my one Golden Sabre (rounded nose hollow point) no problem at all. I had heard that before and have similar experiences with my 1911. If its round, is bound (to work), if its sharp edged its a NO GO too often (meaning once or more per mag).

Hey, side note to us with the p238. I called sig today as I found (maybe in this forum) a coupon I printed where they were offering 3 extended mags for $108. That coupon no longer exists, BUT they are honoring the deal with one exception; its $111 as prices went up. They also have a sig branded pocked holster for this which is discounted too. I did not order a laser, my night sights are perfect. They did not require the coupon that you get when you register your gun on line. But its still a sweet deal since those mags are $46 ea plus shipping...

Either way, when I get out to the range to try this again, and that will be soon, I will get some pics of the target to post. By far the best/easiest CCW gun I have ever owned.

Thanks again!!
    I shot some critical defense through my Sig with no problem, will shoot some more to be sure. I have the extended mag an like it a lot. I also bought the clip on Sig holster which I also like.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

I've got a couple of .380's. I don't carry them all the time. But, when I carry them, I'm not concerned that I am underpowered.

Put yourself in the shoes of the bad guy. When the rounds are incoming, are you really taking the time to look at the caliber?

"Oh, hell...the dude's just shooting a pea shooter. I can stand here and absorb those."
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links